5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you wash the beast yourself or go to carwash?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I find touchless does not always get my truck clean. I use brushless carwashes. Soft cloth, no plastic or rubber brushes. After over a 1000 washes my 2014 paint still looks great. I get compliments on it often.

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Bought mine in September 2019 and I've only ever hand washed my truck. I guess it averages to once every 2 or 3 weeks. Now that I have a good system it takes about an hour and 15 min including washing wheels, drying by hand and windexing they exterior glass. When I spply the turtle wax ice seal & shine it adds about 30 min to the process.

Texas winter normally isn't the problem but the summer heat is tough, especially on this black paint. When it's in the 90 with direct sun I have to wash and dry one section at a time or I get really bad water spots. This process bumps the tire up to around 2 hours.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always hand wash mine.. usually takes 2+ hours.. lately I’ve been going to the self wash bays at the car wash (especially since it’s winter) and it really saves a lot of time on the wash, plus I like the high pressure soap/ rinse.. I still spend a lot of time drying / detailing.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i took mine to the car wash until the back window started leaking, its been at the dealer for a week...

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
touchless unlimited car wash. I am also in snow country so no way am I hand washing most of the year. Once winter breaks I will take it in for professional detail inside and out. I lease my truck but still take care of it best I can as if I bought it.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been a month since I got the truck and just gave it my first wash.
Holy.. it's one big beast. Took 1.5 hrs to wash and 30 min to spray on sealant.
Not sure how often I want to wash it lol.
Do you guys usually wash it yourself or take it to a carwash?
Always at home and by hand, I hand wax it 2 times a year also! Except in winter months I use the self spray car wash. My experiences with full service car wash is they give lots of surface scratches and never really get it clean. Even my dealership told me if I didn’t want surface scratches, I should not use their car wash🤷🏻‍♂️

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Always at home and by hand, I hand wax it 2 times a year also! Except in winter months I use the self spray car wash. My experiences with full service car wash is they give lots of surface scratches and never really get it clean. Even my dealership told me if I didn’t want surface scratches, I should not use their car wash🤷🏻‍♂️
Honest dealer for sure. I never let mine wash my truck when I go in for service. Does more harm than good.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hand wash and wax , usually takes about 4 hours to complete . Before it turns to freezing temps here and before it hits temps that I can do it by hand I’ll use the car wash .

BigD

Reaction score
$20/mo unlimited car wash. Brushes. I don't give a **** if it gets scratched. It's a truck. It's a material possession. Trade it on every 5 years & they never say **** about scratches. All they ever ***** about is tires, rust, & mileage.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ran mine through the brushes ONCE, and it flipped the mirrors forward. Had to have them replaced under warranty and now do touchless/wand and hand wash

Burnzie

Reaction score
Touch less car wash year round for me, summer time 2-3 hour detailing to follow each time.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is her first winter, and I wash it by hand once a month. Any less than that, and I start to get jealous of the cleaner black vehicles I see around town. I have a heated garage with drains, so I can do the no-rinse washes easily. I do my own version of the "two bucket" system... I have one bucket and lots of wash mitts (one side of mitt per panel).

I just got the Ryobi under carriage attachment for my pressure washer, so I also started doing that as part of my process. I'm down to roughly 2-3 hours for two cars (I usually wash my wife's Grand Cherokee at the same time).

In the summer, I hand wash every 2-3 months, depending on rain/dust.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hand wash every time. The wash doesn't take as much time as the drying and detailing. Every wash, the wheel wells, front and rear, are cleaned. Then when it comes to drying, the door jambs and the doors are completely dried. When I'm done, the truck is looks like it just came off the assembly line.

I do find that these truck seem to "leak" a lot out the window moldings and the hood vents. As soon as I'm done washing, I pop the hood and allow all the water to drain while I blow out all of the nooks and crannies.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Unlimited car washes. The car wash marks are nothing compared to the "desert pinstriping" I get off-roading.

Users who are viewing this thread