5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like your MDS?

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I don't mind it, it's pretty funny watching it kick in when doing 50 and watching my MPG jump up to 25-30

I don't feel it or anything, mostly hear it due to exhaust.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't mind it, it's pretty funny watching it kick in when doing 50 and watching my MPG jump up to 25-30

I don't feel it or anything, mostly hear it due to exhaust.

Does your ECO light come on? Still trying to figure out when MDS comes on and the significance of the ECO light.

geotex1

Reaction score
I'm in the camp of misplaced technology in a full-size truck. In the 5th Gen, the exhaust sound is the clear giveaway of it kicking in and I feel it more noticeable in the 5th Gen. Coming out of it to accelerate can be physically felt. I've not ridden in or driven another 5th Gen that's any different than mine, and I would say it's only individual sensitivity with regard to perceiving it or not. I'm riding with an FCA engineer next week to demonstrate the rear brake squeal that's not the morning chatter others have so he can witness for himself, and I wanted to quiz him on the greater obviousness of the MDS to me.

2wd

Reaction score
Even before I enabled the eco light, I could sense the MDS. Not a fan of the slight lurch when disengaged, but the supposed 10% MPG improvement every time its on can add up over the years.

On the other hand I have an Acura (Honda) V6 with MDS and it is imperceptible. I am a car/engine guru and super perceptive and I cannot detect it on that Acura and it frustrates me that they can fool me.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess I'll have to drive around with the windows open an radio off to see if I hear anything... I really don't feel anything (aside from the ****ty up/down shifts after coasting)

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish there was... if I had to pick the one thing I do not like about my 5th gen it is definitely the MDS. I guess you could say I have a love - hate relationship with my 5th gen. Love the truck but HATE the MDS!
Does the MDS kick on less with the 3.92?

Capt Joe

Reaction score
MDS is a pretty good system on these cars...it gets you a few more MPG and doesn't have a downside because the computer determines when to turn it on. I have it on my Challenger Shaker with the same 5.7 and the performance is negligible....but I also have the ability to turn it off on that car by hitting the sport button. Also note that guys with Adaptive Cruise Control - your MDS system wont kick on as much because the car is working more to achieve and maintain its speed or it's relative distance. Set your regular cruise control at 70 and watch....the light will come on much more that the cruise set at 70 on adaptive. All in all, I don't mind the system one bit. Yes, I could hear it and I could also hear it on the Challenger - just lets me know I'm saving a few bucks. Also, I think the MDS system is a must for the car not to be considered a gas guzzler and open to that tax.

billyraff

Reaction score
Have it checked out, i don't even know when my MDS comes on its so smooth

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Can really feel mine when the engine is cold. Once it warms up it's not as noticeable but still there. I can hear it in the exhaust note as well.

67 RT

Reaction score
Mine is 100% imperceptible. Smooth as butter and I don’t even notice an exhaust note change.

NDRam

Reaction score
Mine is 100% imperceptible. Smooth as butter and I don’t even notice an exhaust note change.

Occasionally, there will be a slight change in the exhaust pitch, but it was much more noticeable on my 16 that it is on the 19. I haven't noticed hardly at all on the 19. Once the other day when I was on a 120 mile run I did hear it a couple of times but nothing that concerns me or changes my happiness with my truck!

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
I have no idea what that means. Until I get my new Black Beauty I will not be able to pontificate on MDS.

What I mean is when someone asks you "Do you really believe that? Any proof that hard acceleration saves gas?" and you simply answer "Its called physics.", it is not helpfull... or believeable. You might as well be saying "FAKE NEWS" if you can't actually back it up with stats.... or at least references to your own empirical data.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the camp of misplaced technology in a full-size truck. In the 5th Gen, the exhaust sound is the clear giveaway of it kicking in and I feel it more noticeable in the 5th Gen. Coming out of it to accelerate can be physically felt. I've not ridden in or driven another 5th Gen that's any different than mine, and I would say it's only individual sensitivity with regard to perceiving it or not. I'm riding with an FCA engineer next week to demonstrate the rear brake squeal that's not the morning chatter others have so he can witness for himself, and I wanted to quiz him on the greater obviousness of the MDS to me.

While you're with the engineer, after your business is finished, would you mind asking him/her when the 6'4" Ram Box will be available?

Jackham

Reaction score
What I mean is when someone asks you "Do you really believe that? Any proof that hard acceleration saves gas?" and you simply answer "Its called physics.", it is not helpfull... or believeable. You might as well be saying "FAKE NEWS" if you can't actually back it up with stats.... or at least references to your own empirical data.

What I simply mean Brandon is this. I am not going to do your homework for you and quote from a physics book. No harm intended.

Users who are viewing this thread