5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like your MDS?

Cudapower

Reaction score
The MDS on my 2013 was a lot smoother than my new truck. Driving at 45 I both hear it and feel it jerk when i gently step on it. Sometimes it shudders slightly. Is there any dealer adjustment for that?

XDBrad

Reaction score
Is there any dealer adjustment for that?
I wish there was... if I had to pick the one thing I do not like about my 5th gen it is definitely the MDS. I guess you could say I have a love - hate relationship with my 5th gen. Love the truck but HATE the MDS!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Electrical beat me to it! The 5th Gen is as smooth as butter. The first thing I would do every time I drove my '16 was disable the MDS. It was a part time job to remember, because if I forgot I would curse the whole truck and threaten to trade it in when that god awful glugging and moaning would start at 1/3 throttle.

I think MDS in theory is ok, but in practice it doesn't deliver any real fuel savings worth mentioning in a full size truck.

Jackham

Reaction score
@Electrical beat me to it! The 5th Gen is as smooth as butter. The first thing I would do every time I drove my '16 was disable the MDS. It was a part time job to remember, because if I forgot I would curse the whole truck and threaten to trade it in when that god awful glugging and moaning would start at 1/3 throttle.

I think MDS in theory is ok, but in practice it doesn't deliver any real fuel savings worth mentioning in a full size truck.

Ya well I heard the same thing about the Eco-boost. And it works. But you do have to understand the truck. You have to learn how to drive it best. You drive a eco-boost like a plain V8, like so many did and do, and there goes the mileage. Same with the MDS. However it is easier to blame the technology.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya well I heard the same thing about the Eco-boost. And it works. But you do have to understand the truck. You have to learn how to drive it best. You drive a eco-boost like a plain V8, like so many did and do, and there goes the mileage. Same with the MDS. However it is easier to blame the technology.
I understand all the different nuances of the MDS techniques and driving styles to achieve the perfect mpg. I also choose to enjoy life and just wish MDS was an optional thing, rather than forced on me.

And driving habits or not, I still believe MDS is wasted technology on full size trucks.

If you want to drive like the cautious farmer on a nice spring day doin 30 in a 60... then just buy a Chevy, I think thats what their governed at.

Jackham

Reaction score
I understand all the different nuances of the MDS techniques and driving styles to achieve the perfect mpg. I also choose to enjoy life and just wish MDS was an optional thing, rather than forced on me.

And driving habits or not, I still believe MDS is wasted technology on full size trucks.

If you want to drive like the cautious farmer on a nice spring day doin 30 in a 60... then just buy a Chevy, I think thats what their governed at.
Well there you go. For the ecoboost the best mileage is to take advantage of the improved acceleration which means you spend less time in acceleration. Loads of fun.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its called physics.
Pretty sure that's not how it works unless the Ecoboost defies Physics. Accelerating where the motor is at its most efficient point is generally best. Last time I checked the best efficiency from a turbo motor is when it's not making boost.

Jackham

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's not how it works unless the Ecoboost defies Physics. Accelerating where the motor is at its most efficient point is generally best. Last time I checked the best efficiency from a turbo motor is when it's not making boost.
No it is how long you are accelerating. Cut down on the time you cut down on the expense. If you look deep you will find articles as such. When maintaining a stead speed, no acceleration, you want the boost off. Seems counter intuitive but it works. Physics

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Better term is "quick" acceleration.
I just spent some time reading. Pretty interesting and counter intuative. I agree that accelerating slowly is bad. Spending 30 seconds at 6 mpg is worse than spending 15 seconds at 4 mpg. Operating the engine at an RPM below peak torque is best. With an automatic transmission we can't choose a high throttle/low rpm shift pattern like the hyper-milers do. My best results are 2600-2800 RPM shifts with maybe 1/3 throttle with the hemi.

All that goes out the window with my previous vehicle, a 3.0 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee. It made peak torque at 1800 RPM and peak efficiency was around 1650. I could coax 32 mpg in mixed driving from that Jeep with gentle to average acceleration. Diesels don't have throttle plate pumping losses like gassers though.

Users who are viewing this thread