5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like your MDS?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am surprised at all the huge variances of Love / Hate of the MDS. I read these comments and had to test it out. I took a drive with all of the windows open and fan and stereo off and when the MDS is on I can't even tell the difference. I was watching the eco light while accellerating and from 3rd to 7th gear going from 20 MPH to 50 MPH the light stayed on the whole time and even while accellerating I was getting between 23-32 MPG on the instant "Lie-O-Meter". I think there must be either something wrong with the set-up, Aerodynamics, Noise Cancelling, or something else of the trucks listed above having these issues.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am surprised at all the huge variances of Love / Hate of the MDS. I read these comments and had to test it out. I took a drive with all of the windows open and fan and stereo off and when the MDS is on I can't even tell the difference. I was watching the eco light while accellerating and from 3rd to 7th gear going from 20 MPH to 50 MPH the light stayed on the whole time and even while accellerating I was getting between 23-32 MPG on the instant "Lie-O-Meter". I think there must be either something wrong with the set-up, Aerodynamics, Noise Cancelling, or something else of the trucks listed above having these issues.
You have eTorque, like I do. eTorque smooths out transitions and can apply torque to keep MDS engaged at times that it would go off on a truck without eTorque.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there was a mid- year change in the programming?... The reason I say this is - early posts in this thread (I just read the whole thing), has more people noticing MDS kicking in... Later posts its not as common.

I know (many) people will claim it's the difference between "those in tune with their truck and those that aren't" - I think it's more than that.

My Rebel was built June of 2019 - I took possession a couple weeks ago... I didn't notice MDS/eco at all until around 800 miles (had 450 when I bought, that's a whole other thread topic)... On the rare occasion that the light came on, the only other "tell" was slight flutter in exhaust note - barely noticeable, but it's distinctive enough to recognize (passengers probably wouldn't without me mentioning it).

I never "feel" any difference (and even though it's only been a couple weeks, I'm astute to vehicles dynamics - I'd notice if there were felt conditions).

So aside from the exhaust warble/flutter, I don't notice much. I could definitely understand concern with aftermarket exhaust - I'm sure that flutter drone would be annoying! The stock exhaust is tame and the cab is very well insulated - stock is no bother audibly (for me).

As to benefits - I wish I could get some! I'm seeing high 12's... just filled third time - has1045 miles. I sure hope that changes some day:cry:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand all the different nuances of the MDS techniques and driving styles to achieve the perfect mpg. I also choose to enjoy life and just wish MDS was an optional thing, rather than forced on me.

And driving habits or not, I still believe MDS is wasted technology on full size trucks.

If you want to drive like the cautious farmer on a nice spring day doin 30 in a 60... then just buy a Chevy, I think thats what their governed at.
C'mon now. Be nice. Every one of us bought a RAM for different reasons, and like/dislike different things about it. No reason to get all political about it.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there was a mid- year change in the programming?... The reason I say this is - early posts in this thread (I just read the whole thing), has more people noticing MDS kicking in... Later posts its not as common.

I know (many) people will claim it's the difference between "those in tune with their truck and those that aren't" - I think it's more than that.

My Rebel was built June of 2019 - I took possession a couple weeks ago... I didn't notice MDS/eco at all until around 800 miles (had 450 when I bought, that's a whole other thread topic)... On the rare occasion that the light came on, the only other "tell" was slight flutter in exhaust note - barely noticeable, but it's distinctive enough to recognize (passengers probably wouldn't without me mentioning it).

I never "feel" any difference (and even though it's only been a couple weeks, I'm astute to vehicles dynamics - I'd notice if there were felt conditions).

So aside from the exhaust warble/flutter, I don't notice much. I could definitely understand concern with aftermarket exhaust - I'm sure that flutter drone would be annoying! The stock exhaust is tame and the cab is very well insulated - stock is no bother audibly (for me).

As to benefits - I wish I could get some! I'm seeing high 12's... just filled third time - has1045 miles. I sure hope that changes some day:cry:
Should increase with mileage. After playing around with the MDS a little on the highway(50/65mph) I did see a 1 to 2 mpg gain at steady speeds and turning MDS on and off. If one wants to watch the mgg meter all the time and play with the throttle, you can get some pretty good number. But then again, you can't watch the scenery go by, either. I do glance at it from time to time out of curiosity, but mostly just set the cruise and enjoy the ride.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I don't think it's an effective use of money to be honest. It comes on, maybe, like 1% or 2% of the time I'm driving (which is already peanuts). Then, it only comes on when the engine is basically idling, which means it's already using next to no gas, and maybe makes my instant readout drop from 10L/100km to 9L/100km (saving a fraction).

Combine those two together: 2% of the time I'm driving, I save 1L/100km.

I agree. I feel MDS is a waste and something FCA was forced into to meet stricter mileage requirements in the interim until they release the new inline 6 turbo to replace it (which again I'm not a fan of). If they stop offering a v8 I'm tapping out, and going back to the Cummins / HD. LOL.

I wish MDS was an option with the HEMI, and not forced on us either. Like many here I did not buy a truck for fuel mileage, and complaining that the guy next to me is getting 23 when I'm getting 19 is silly, in my humble opinion. There are so many variables between driver behavior, terrain, speed, wind, variations in fuel quality, vehicle weight, tires, road conditions, air temp, elevation, etc. that comparing mileage especially in a truck seems extremely unproductive and can yield no valid conclusions. The broad range of mileage which people are reporting supports this. Its not the truck. Its the driver, and other variables stated above. However - to each their own. Debate away. It makes some interesting reads for me (and others I suspect). :)

raven_DT

Reaction score
I especially like when MDS engages and your wonderful throaty Hemi note is neutered into sounding like you have an exhaust leak...

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I especially like when MDS engages and your wonderful throaty Hemi note is neutered into sounding like you have an exhaust leak...

Yup. That’s exactly what I thought too. Not really a fan but can live with it.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Literally cannot tell when mine kicks on/off. Hoping it stays that way!

As others have said.... that’s interesting some don’t really notice it kicking in and out. When I read that I always think, how can u not notice? It’s very noticeable. Maybe I’m too sensitive to it lol.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have said.... that’s interesting some don’t really notice it kicking in and out. When I read that I always think, how can u not notice? It’s very noticeable. Maybe I’m too sensitive to it lol.
eTorque is how you don't notice it.

NDanecker

Reaction score
eTorque is how you don't notice it.
Wonder if e torque was developed more to offset the side effects of MDS because e torque alone does little to improve fuel economy. certainly not a hybrid electric vehicle.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Mine sounds more like a cross between a baritone hump back whale mating call and someone dragging a real heavy metal table across a wooden floor!!! lmao

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Don't ever notice the MDS, however, I did turn on the "ECO" light so I can see when it's on or off. I can tell you the MDS system is much less noticeable than the GM version I experienced on their trucks in the past. I'm actually quite content to let MDS do its thing. That said I did HATE the GM version as mentioned.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Took a pic of my engine before dissassembly so thought I'd post a pic of the solenoid valves which control oil flow to the lifters thus enabling/disabling the valves for their respective cylinder.

Attachments

• 20200117_121604.jpg
    20200117_121604.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 27

RodRow

Reaction score
With my Hemi, I notice the transition most of the time, but don’t let it bother me. I chose not to alter the exhaust on this one as my 2016 MDS transition was far more noticeable with the after-market exhaust.

My son has the exact same truck as me and his is far less noticeable when I’m driving it. Only delta between the two is tire size/weight.

As others have said...listen to the radio, set the cruise and enjoy this wonderful machine. We are blessed to have one! :)

Users who are viewing this thread