5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you ever start to get out of your truck without turning it off?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
All the time, if you live on a farm you are in and out of it all the time. I wish I could back up and drive through gates with the door open. That e brake thing is stupid.
You can turn of the auto parking brake feature in the Uconnect menu. As for auto park, just get a seat belt extender and keep it buckled in. I have had one of those in every truck I've owned since they added that "safety feature" to protect us from ourselves. I don't even notice it's there, and has the added benefit of making it a little easier to buckle up. This link is just for the picture. I'm aware it's for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm just too lazy right now to look up the correct one LOL

Reactions: c3k

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You can turn of the auto parking brake feature in the Uconnect menu. As for auto park, just get a seat belt extender and keep it buckled in. I have had one of those in every truck I've owned since they added that "safety feature" to protect us from ourselves. I don't even notice it's there, and has the added benefit of making it a little easier to buckle up. This link is just for the picture. I'm aware it's for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm just too lazy right now to look up the correct one LOL
That is brilliant in its simplicity.

jessed1

Reaction score
Yep - definitely left my bighorn running. But I've also walked off leaving the snow-blower running in the shed... so not a matter of it being too quite for me.

Last edited:

NWRogue

Reaction score
Only once so far. Parked in the Lowe's parking lot, went inside, got my stuff, back to the truck and yep, truck is still running.
Thought it was interesting it let me get that far away and keep running. At least I did remember to lock it.

My wife keeps leaving it unlocked. Unintentionally I believe as she grabs the handle when she pushes the button to lock the doors. Wonderful "feature" that is.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. But one day it somehow unclipped and fell in between the seat and console. Took me almost an hour to find it. Now it's on a carabiner and a lanyard :ROFLMAO:

Belt AND suspenders....I like it. 😂

TReX-RAM

Reaction score
I turn it off, I just forget to put it in park sometimes. I got too comfortable in a couple of euro cars that all you needed to do was push the ignition off button and it shifted automatically into park.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Not the Ram. But I did leave one of our Chrysler 300s cars running a couple of times. Once I came out of the grocery store after shopping almost an hour and there it was running. That one convinced me to start paying closer attention and making sure it was shut off. I didn't have this problem with the Charger R/T or Scat Pack because those cars had active exhaust and were fairly loud at idle.

I will admit, our new Laramie is a bit too quiet at idle. After driving it a while, I really do want louder exhaust on it. But I'm not sure the cost is justified. The quality bolt-on kits are fairly expensive and I'm not sure what a cut and weld performance muffler would sound like. Plus, cutting on a new $65K vehicle just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. :unsure:

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
My wife and I went to lunch a couple months back and when we returned to the truck, it was still running. Wife never noticed... I didn't say a thing!

Gipraw

Reaction score
Nope. One benefit of running a Borla ATAK.
I do understand how it can happen, though. I have a 2015 Fusion Hybrid, and I can’t count the number of times I have gotten out of it without turning it off. Thank god it honks at you when the key leaves the car and it is still on. It also turns itself off after 20 minutes of you don’t go back and do it.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've not done it but only because I'm conditioned to let the turbo cool down after driving (I have another thread on that topic) so I sort of have a "shut down ritual" that I go through while I let it idle for a few moments.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i
went
into walmart came
out
truck was
running
last month forgot
to turn it off.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No.

But I've lost count of how many times I've shut it off in Drive and got the nasty message on the cluster,

I do that all the time because I like to set the parking brake first, let the truck settle in neutral before putting it in park. Sometimes I turn it off before putting in park, luckily the truck is smart enough to fix that by doing it for me.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I do that all the time because I like to set the parking brake first, let the truck settle in neutral before putting it in park. Sometimes I turn it off before putting in park, luckily the truck is smart enough to fix that by doing it for me.
You know it has feature that automatically sets the parking brake when you put it in park? Why do you set it before hand? The automatic feature happens in a second. Makes it hard to forget to set the brake too.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You know it has feature that automatically sets the parking brake when you put it in park? Why do you set it before hand? The automatic feature happens in a second. Makes it hard to forget to set the brake too.

I actually have it set, but it still allows too much movement after I release the brake pedal. The whole point of neutral, set parking brake, allow to settle and then park is to avoid any stress on the parking pawl.

The auto parking brake doesn't do it that well, especially since the locations I have to park are typically on hilly terrain. On a flat surface it works ok, often times I don't bother to do the parking brake in neutral step if I'm parking on a flat surface.

In the scheme of things does it matter how much stress you put on the pawl? Not sure, but I rather not let the truck rest on it while on a hill.

popcenator

Reaction score
I actually have it set, but it still allows too much movement after I release the brake pedal. The whole point of neutral, set parking brake, allow to settle and then park is to avoid any stress on the parking pawl.

The auto parking brake doesn't do it that well, especially since the locations I have to park are typically on hilly terrain. On a flat surface it works ok, often times I don't bother to do the parking brake in neutral step if I'm parking on a flat surface.

In the scheme of things does it matter how much stress you put on the pawl? Not sure, but I rather not let the truck rest on it while on a hill.
I do the same thing, but I utilize the auto parking brake feature. If you wait a few seconds before releasing the brake after putting the truck into park, you can feel the parking brake catch the truck. There's no movement when I release the brake. We all have our routines though so I get the steps you take.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I do the same thing, but I utilize the auto parking brake feature. If you wait a few seconds before releasing the brake after putting the truck into park, you can feel the parking brake catch the truck. There's no movement when I release the brake. We all have our routines though so I get the steps you take.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I have my auto lock engaged as well, even if I wait after putting it in park, it does move and make contact with the pawl. But most of my parking is on inclines/hills, which is why I manually engage the parking brake first in neutral and let it settle.

On flat parking, I just put it in park, the auto parking brake works well enough in those situations.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Just did it for the first time today. Got out, locked the doors, picked up my mobile order from Starbucks, and came back to find the truck still running. :giggle:

Users who are viewing this thread