5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do you believe this person

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just tired of all the "spin". Someone market a simple, practical electric car that I can afford, I'll check it out. Hasn't happened yet. 😴

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I've seen some of the other videos he has and he's definitely a strange guy. He does make a valid point here though with the cost of charging EV's because the price of energy is going up as I type this reply. Literally nothing has changed in my house yet my electric bill has almost doubled in the past few months.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've seen some of the other videos he has and he's definitely a strange guy. He does make a valid point here though with the cost of charging EV's because the price of energy is going up as I type this reply. Literally nothing has changed in my house yet my electric bill has almost doubled in the past few months.
Exactly. Worst part is I’m surrounded by huge wind turbines and a 500 acre solar farm is being built right at this moment. More electricity than we know what to do with in this area and we see zero monetary benefit from it, only ruined pristine farmland altered forever.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Worst part is I’m surrounded by huge wind turbines and a 500 acre solar farm is being built right at this moment. More electricity than we know what to do with in this area and we see zero monetary benefit from it, only ruined pristine farmland altered forever.

Utility company and co-ops alike (I'm in a co-op) are required to have X amount of "renewable" energy ether built or bought, cost be damned. They also don't count hydro as renewable.

Those wind farms are a loss leader. Cost more to build and maintain than they output, AND they're environmentally unfriendly.

Only Gen IV nuclear plants are going to make a difference if they want to get off coal and NG.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I did not watch the video. That guy gets on my nerves a bit.

But.... putting my tinfoil hat on, give me a second......... the government can control the grid much easier than fuel distribution and storage. This allows them to control movement of goods and population easier if that is wished.

I'm going back down in the bunker now so I can take my hat off.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
C
I did not watch the video. That guy gets on my nerves a bit.

But.... putting my tinfoil hat on, give me a second......... the government can control the grid much easier than fuel distribution and storage. This allows them to control movement of goods and population easier if that is wished.

I'm going back down in the bunker now so I can take my hat off.
Control the food controll the people. Control the energy control the country

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Scooter is a nutjob.

It's clickbait.
That x1000

I used to believe the lack of infrastructure was the main culprit, but now I believe the main thing that will kill EV adoption is car manufacturers. They have realized record profits and have publicly stated that they will focus efforts on high-end trims while getting rid of low-end trims (and acted to back it up) . That is flowing to EV’s already. Tesla seems to be bucking the trend by recently lowering their model Y msrp by 13%, but no one else is doing that. The normal lower income American does not want to (or can’t) spend $700+ on a monthly payment. In the end, I think it will be greed that kills the EV for at least the next couple decades.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with that for the most part. EVs are not the Godsend the govt makes them out to be. It’s a bunch of green new deal cr@p. They don’t cut down on global emissions, just tail pipe emissions. It’ll cripple our grid, and won’t save you money in the long run. It’ll just be an inconvenience unless you live in a big city.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Scotty is an odd duck for sure, but he's on to something. We aren't ready and won't be ready for a full stop to fossil fuels by '35. I would prefer to see a transition to a more robust plug-in hybrid if we're going to go that direction.

I still think EV's have their place and manufacturers will be forced to provide low end cost effective alternatives. The economy will continue its downward trend for a while. Everyone here is correct. $70k+ cars that can't be charged easily at many homes are not going to sell.

Having said that, there are plenty of enthusiasts who have already adopted the EV tech and will continue to push development.

Foil hat or not, it's obvious our government salivates at the thought of more control and being more like China. Already tired of hearing about social credit scores...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Scotty is an odd duck for sure, but he's on to something. We aren't ready and won't be ready for a full stop to fossil fuels by '35. I would prefer to see a transition to a more robust plug-in hybrid if we're going to go that direction.

I still think EV's have their place and manufacturers will be forced to provide low end cost effective alternatives. The economy will continue its downward trend for a while. Everyone here is correct. $70k+ cars that can't be charged easily at many homes are not going to sell.

Having said that, there are plenty of enthusiasts who have already adopted the EV tech and will continue to push development.

Foil hat or not, it's obvious our government salivates at the thought of more control and being more like China. Already tired of hearing about social credit scores...
Just an example of what I’ve seen. My neighbors son has a Tesla. He lives a few hours away. Just for his trip home he had to keep the thing plugged in at his moms for 12 hours before he leaves(free “gas” for him I guess). Also has to make a trip out of the way to stop for an hour at a super charger to make it all the way, and maybe wait in line for who knows how long. So an extra 1.5 hours at least to drive a few hundred miles. No thanks.

I agree that a hybrid would be a good compromise for some.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just an example of what I’ve seen. My neighbors son has a Tesla. He lives a few hours away. Just for his trip home he had to keep the thing plugged in at his moms for 12 hours before he leaves(free “gas” for him I guess). Also has to make a trip out of the way to stop for an hour at a super charger to make it all the way, and maybe wait in line for who knows how long. So an extra 1.5 hours at least to drive a few hundred miles. No thanks.

I agree that a hybrid would be a good compromise for some.
A few hours away should be well within the range of your average Tesla on a full charge. And if he's at a Supercharger, wouldn't take an hour to top off to finish the drive. Seems like someone is embellishing the story a little

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
A few hours away should be well within the range of your average Tesla on a full charge. And if he's at a Supercharger, wouldn't take an hour to top off to finish the drive. Seems like someone is embellishing the story a little
Not sure what kind of charger he stops at. I call all of them super chargers.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Tin hat and all, I think EVs have thier place. Big city? Nope. No place to charge, the infrastructure is already used. Country? Nope. Distance is an issue, spend too much time charging. The suburbs? Good choice. Ease of charging at home, mostly short runs to work, shopping or school.

If you have the need for speed, good choice too. Tesla is a wicked quick car.

Primary transportation with no other methods? Well, just be one of the sheeple and ride the subway when the government lifts your curfew and allows you to pick up your rations.

Users who are viewing this thread