5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DO NOT install a flowmaster on your 3.6!

Smerberj

Reaction score
As the title states, don't do it. I had a Super 40 on my truck and it sounded awesome but my MPG and power dropped like a rock. Had a 22 inch magnaflow installed and now my power and mpg are back (only downside is it sounds stock now, oh well). Just a heads up for you guys.

taz2016

Reaction score
Do you know the model # of your Magnaflow? Is it really as quiet as stock. I have the B2 Fabrication version with a 14" Magnaflow that sounds good below 2000 rpm but really drones above that. It is much louder than stock.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the B2 Fabrication version with a 14" Magnaflow that sounds good below 2000 rpm but really drones above that. It is much louder than stock.
Interesting in that they have sold a TON of their kits to several members and none have complained about drone that I am aware of. You will hear a difference in tone when the truck goes into MSD mode, but not at all if it's disabled like I do in mine.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I had my 3.6, I loved the fact that it was so quiet in my Jeep GC. You never heard it when you were going down the road, just a smooth, quiet, and peaceful engine. To me it has a different character than the more roudy hemi, and I would just embrace that lovely quiet sound instead of trying to turn it into something that it really isn't. :)

taz2016

Reaction score
Interesting in that they have sold a TON of their kits to several members and none have complained about drone that I am aware of. You will hear a difference in tone when the truck goes into MSD mode, but not at all if it's disabled like I do in mine.
As the two replies above noted this is the 3.6 Pentastar thread. B2 Fab doesn't market their exhaust for the 3.6 but I decided to try it anyway. By the way, it fits perfectly on the 3.6. I called B2 Fab first and tried to get them to use a longer Magnaflow but they weren't interested.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/3-6-pentastar-v6.6/post-thread

Smerberj

Reaction score
Do you know the model # of your Magnaflow? Is it really as quiet as stock. I have the B2 Fabrication version with a 14" Magnaflow that sounds good below 2000 rpm but really drones above that. It is much louder than stock.
MagnaFlow 12589 Exhaust Muffler

Thats the model, the thing is HUGE. It is a straight through design and from what I can tell it flows a hell of a lot better than my old chokemaster40.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
What are the theories that attributed to MPG loss? Lack of back pressure caused the ECU to adjust? Just curious, I would think more flow would result in better MPG. I had a corsa cat back on the truck for a while but it was too loud.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
What are the theories that attributed to MPG loss? Lack of back pressure caused the ECU to adjust? Just curious, I would think more flow would result in better MPG. I had a corsa cat back on the truck for a while but it was too loud.
More flow out means more flow in which means more gasoline is needed to maintain the right air/fuel ratio. Or perhaps it changed the dynamics of the combustion and the knock sensor got busy and the timing was retarded. Or the nut behind the steering wheel couldn't help but press the pedal harder than necessary just to hear the sound.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
People run straight pipes without any effect on mpg, I don't see how a muffler can negatively effect that. Most people see a drop in mpg because they hit the gas pedal more aggressively to hear the sound.

The number one thing a muffler does is change the sound, it creates very little changes in performance that would be noticeable, especially on a 5,800 lbs truck.

RonBang

Reaction score
MagnaFlow 12589 Exhaust Muffler

Thats the model, the thing is HUGE. It is a straight through design and from what I can tell it flows a hell of a lot better than my old chokemaster40.
Hmmm weird all the videos I’ve seen of the 3.6 with a super 40 sounded good to me. I was looking to get either a super 40 and or delte or keep the resonator...or do something like either an X pipe or say a super 40 dual in dual out and go dual exhaust out the back sides. The other idea I had was to get a Magnapack and either same as first idea delete or keep the resonator...

Users who are viewing this thread