5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need LT tires

AlaskaGT

Reaction score
this might be a really dumb question. Can I put not LT tires on my rebel? would it compromise of. will it decrease towing and payload capacity if I use non lt tires? just trying to get a better understanding

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you can put non-LT tires on. Just pay attention to the weight ratings if you tow.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll also trip the tire pressure warning since the target on p metric tires is lower than the oem LT tires.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll also trip the tire pressure warning since the target on p metric tires is lower than the oem LT tires.
Is that adjustable with Alpha or Tazer, because each trim level uses different PSI. Mine is 38; I think the Rebel is 50ish?

You may be hard pressed to find a tire shop kid that can actually read for comprehension. Discount Tire has refused to mount lower range but acceptable pounds carrying tires for me before. I've also had them mounted by a small ma n pa shop, then Discount would mount the next set. You don't need a HS diploma to work there.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yet another reason everybody should have a Tazer programmer. You can do so much with them, including alter the TPMS thresholds.

P-rated tires are lighter, ride better, last longer, and have different rubber compounds that are better for snow and rain. There are very few factory trucks that come without P-rated tires. Only ones I know of using the LTs are the special off-road packs like Rebel or Jeep's Rubicons.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yet another reason everybody should have a Tazer programmer. You can do so much with them, including alter the TPMS thresholds.

P-rated tires are lighter, ride better, last longer, and have different rubber compounds that are better for snow and rain. There are very few factory trucks that come without P-rated tires. Only ones I know of using the LTs are the special off-road packs like Rebel or Jeep's Rubicons.
Honestly, those listed come with them for toughness reasons, not weight carrying reasons. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks obviously come with " " range rated tires.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't NEED them if all you're doing is road driving. Even light off-road stuff is ok with them, but if you're off-road a lot or you tow/haul heavy the LT tires are going to give better results and be safer. For example, the Michelin Defender LTX MS in a P metric (SL) has a max load of 2756 compared to the E1 rated version of 3527. 4 ply vs 10 ply. Can you get by just fine with "normal" towing and hauling on the P rated tire? Yeah, but the LT tires will feel more comfortable and planted even with lighter loads. I regularly haul 1200+ pounds in the bed. P rated tires feel really squishy and soft compared to LT.

Size also plays a big part. The bigger the tire, the less likely it's available in a P metric. For example, the 275/70R18 that's standard on the Rebel is an LT only size.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't NEED them if all you're doing is road driving. Even light off-road stuff is ok with them, but if you're off-road a lot or you tow/haul heavy the LT tires are going to give better results and be safer. For example, the Michelin Defender LTX MS in a P metric (SL) has a max load of 2756 compared to the E1 rated version of 3527. 4 ply vs 10 ply. Can you get by just fine with "normal" towing and hauling on the P rated tire? Yeah, but the LT tires will feel more comfortable and planted even with lighter loads. I regularly haul 1200+ pounds in the bed. P rated tires feel really squishy and soft compared to LT.

Size also plays a big part. The bigger the tire, the less likely it's available in a P metric. For example, the 275/75R18 that's standard on the Rebel is an LT only size.
*275/70r18

Users who are viewing this thread