5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need a dually to safely travel the western US for a year with a 4,750 pound payload or can I upgrade my SRW suspension to handle it?

dsl11b

Reaction score
TLDR at the bottom

I currently have a 2019 3500 CCLB SRW Cummins with a payload capacity of 4,166 lbs based on the yellow sticker and a payload capacity of 3,800 lbs based on my GVWR(12,300) minus my truck on a scale with just me and a full tank of fuel(8,500). The only stuff in my truck when I scaled was a bed mat, frame mounted camper tie downs, and adjustable ball mount which I’d imagine is about 200 lbs and I weigh around 170.

I’m planning a year long trip around the western US and will have about 3,650 lbs in my bed and cab and pulling an 11,000 lbs enclosed trailer loaded. Therefore, assuming a 10% tongue weight, I’ll be hauling a payload of about 4,750 lbs. The cab/bed weight is mostly from my truck camper. I haven’t weighed my camper and truck together yet and don’t have the enclosed trailer yet so these weights are estimates on the high side. I’ll also save about 50 lbs when I remove my tailgate for the trip.

I currently go on weekend trips with my camper and a small utility trailer weighing about 3,000 lbs loaded and have absolutely no issues with this setup. Also, when I do travel the country, I’ll only be fully loaded for about 200-400 miles at a time and then I’ll drop my camper and trailer and use my truck unloaded for a week or so at a time.

Can I get by with doing some upgrades to my current truck like airbags, helper springs, and a beefier rear sway bar and safely travel the western US or do I need to buy a dually? My 4 tires are rated at 15,000 lbs so those shouldn’t be an issue and my GAWR front is 6,000 lbs and rear 7,000 lbs so maybe that means I really have a legal GVWR of 13,000 pounds.

I understand there is no way to actually increase my payload capacity besides removing weight, but I wanna hear from anyone with experience hauling over their payload capacity and whether they had any issues or caused long term damage to their truck. I’m fine with having a long following distance on the road and driving slower and I won’t be in a hurry so can wait out windy days. I know a dually is the better tool for the job, but I’d really rather not buy a new truck if I don’t have to.

TLDR: Basically I’m wondering if I need to buy a dually to carry a payload of 4,750 lbs for 200-400 miles at a time or if I can get by with upgrading suspension components on my 3500 SRW Cummins. I know a dually is the better tool for the job, but has anyone had any issues with their truck or cops for being over their payload capacity? I’d really rather not buy a new truck if I don’t have to.

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 68

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What he said, but since you asked I'll give you an opinion anyway. After looking at the pictures and numbers, I think that's a lot of stuff even if the tires say they'll take it. I say dually.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Glad you're actually thinking about it. I visit other forums and people generally have no clue how dangerous and unsafe they being with some of the loads/trailers they haul with their wimpy front-drive based "SUV".

I had my 2013 F150 Ecoboost with max tow package right at the limit for payload and trailer weight a few years ago on a trip to the east coast. It is not something I will ever repeat unless I either get a stouter tow vehicle or haul/tow less.

My new rule is to stay at 80-90% of the tow vehicle rated capacities. I believe having a margin for safety is needed. Get a dually or lighten your load.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
If everything goes "right", then you're probably fine and shouldn't do any damage to the truck. If things go "wrong", you run the risk of encountering an unsafe, hazardous, or catastrophic situation. Should you be in an accident, and it's identified you're over payload, you could have a real problem. Considering you plan to do this for a year, I'd say get the proper tool for the job. It's not like you are doing this once or twice - you're talking about making a fifty 200-400 mile trips under less than ideal (technically unsafe) conditions. If you have the funds, I would say get the dually and worry less. This sounds like an amazing adventure; spend your time enjoying your experience, not worrying about your truck.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the rear AXLE weight rating on a SRW Ram? 4,700 lbs of weight not including the 3,000 or more the truck is applying to it will push the axle beyond it's rating, right?

dsl11b

Reaction score
What's the rear AXLE weight rating on a SRW Ram? 4,700 lbs of weight not including the 3,000 or more the truck is applying to it will push the axle beyond it's rating, right?
My rear axle rating is 7,000 lbs and front is 6,000 lbs. Unloaded I had a load of 3,360 lbs on my rear axle with my tailgate on and 5,140 lbs on my front with me in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/