5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have remote start?

Panic Driven

Reaction score
Just traded my truck in for a 2019 Rebel. Disappointed that I did it because my truck was paid off, but I know, I'm stuck with my impulsive decision!

Anyway, The window sticker shows "Remote–Start System (N/A Manual Transmission)" but the key fob doesn't have the option. They only gave me one key fob and I can tell the past owner was harsh on this truck so I figure they lost the original fob(s) and just found one with lock and unlock and paired it.

I'm thinking about buying a new fob with the remote start option and trying to pair it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• window sticker.png
    window sticker.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 61

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome! If you have Level 2 equipment, then yes you have remote start. The proper fob should work just fine. Make sure you get a NEW fob. Tons of used ones for sale on Ebay. Once one of these fobs have been programmed to a truck it WILL NOT work on another vehicle (despite what some sellers may claim).

Panic Driven

Reaction score
Welcome! If you have Level 2 equipment, then yes you have remote start. The proper fob should work just fine. Make sure you get a NEW fob. Tons of used ones for sale on Ebay. Once one of these fobs have been programmed to a truck it WILL NOT work on another vehicle (despite what some sellers may claim).
Awesome! Thank you and for the super fast reply!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should get the dealer to provide the proper key. When my brand new limited was delivered the dealer lost the extra key so they had to order me one and program it.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just traded my truck in for a 2019 Rebel. Disappointed that I did it because my truck was paid off, but I know, I'm stuck with my impulsive decision!

Anyway, The window sticker shows "Remote–Start System (N/A Manual Transmission)" but the key fob doesn't have the option. They only gave me one key fob and I can tell the past owner was harsh on this truck so I figure they lost the original fob(s) and just found one with lock and unlock and paired it.

I'm thinking about buying a new fob with the remote start option and trying to pair it. Thoughts?
The dealership can easily program a couple of new keyfobs that has the remote start button and they should do it free of charge! Another option is to use the uconnect app for your phone. The first year of the service is free so you would have to pay a monthly fee in your case but it is an option. Welcome to the forum and please let us know the outcome. I'm curious how your dealer will respond as good Chrysler dealerships seem to be very rare these days.

Panic Driven

Reaction score
The dealership can easily program a couple of new keyfobs that has the remote start button and they should do it free of charge! Another option is to use the uconnect app for your phone. The first year of the service is free so you would have to pay a monthly fee in your case but it is an option. Welcome to the forum and please let us know the outcome. I'm curious how your dealer will respond as good Chrysler dealerships seem to be very rare these days.
Thanks for the response!

I purchased it from a Ford dealer that is over 2 hours away. Even if I win the battle with them not sure I want to make the trip.

I'm going to take it into a local CJD dealer for some recalls and see what they will charge to add a fob or two. Alternatively, there's a lot of "new" fobs on Ebay for $100 I might take a chance on.

I did spend a little time trying to setup the uConnect for remote start but didn't get it setup and haven't had a chance to get back to it. If you have a guide handy you could link that would be great, If not don't worry about it.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

I purchased it from a Ford dealer that is over 2 hours away. Even if I win the battle with them not sure I want to make the trip.

I'm going to take it into a local CJD dealer for some recalls and see what they will charge to add a fob or two. Alternatively, there's a lot of "new" fobs on Ebay for $100 I might take a chance on.

I did spend a little time trying to setup the uConnect for remote start but didn't get it setup and haven't had a chance to get back to it. If you have a guide handy you could link that would be great, If not don't worry about it.
Ok never realized that you bought it from a Ford dealer, that changes things! I doubt they can help you with the fobs. If you buy a fob off ebay it still needs to be programmed for your truck at a Chrysler dealer or you can do it yourself with AlfaOBD though you need your trucks PIN number to do it. Have no idea how much your local Chrysler dealer will charge you for this.

I don't have a guide for the uconnect app but I remember it was pretty straight forward (at least with a new truck). I'm not sure what hoops you will have to go through with a used truck other than subscribing to the service.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for the response!

He doesn't have nav so he also doesn't have the XM Guardian equipment/service required to use remote start from the app. Unfortunately that won't work for him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread