5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Tire Lift

70runner

Reaction score
Stock tires on my new Rebel are bigger/heavier than anything else I've dealt with before. Needed something to help my aging back deal with them. Browsed the interweb and put a tire lift idea together using scrap metal, plus a couple rollers off Amazon, with an older HF floor jack. Parts: a 1.5" punched square tube, U channel scrap, 4 end plates for the rollers, 2 rollers, an "L" bracket that is bolted to the jack saddle using the saddle bolt plus 2 supporting bolts, and floor jack. The assembly can be removed and the saddle plate/pad replaced to resume being a floor jack. Total cost: $25 for the rollers.
parts.jpg jackhinge.jpg

Below is a mockup of the design. The square tube is welded to floor jack "L" bracket. The two U channel arms are welded to the tube at a 45deg angle to support the rollers. The inside (closest to jack) roller plate is welded, the outside plate is bolted on so the rollers can be removed/replaced if necessary.
mockup_tire.jpg roller.jpg

Below is finished assembly and first use. The arms/roller spacing is such that the tire can be lowered to the ground, freeing up the floor jack/tire lift. The rollers allow the wheel to be easily rotated to line up the wheel studs with lug nut openings.
onjack.jpg w_tire.jpg

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Hell yeah! That's a great idea. Awesome job. Now I have my plans for next weekend. Thanks for the idea

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice job. Still managing to "muscle" my 70+ lb. wheels twice a year for winter change over. But I see one in my future.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the rollers you used?

Users who are viewing this thread