5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Paint Protection Film

Neokane

Reaction score
Has anyone done a DIY paint protection film install on their truck?
Did you use bulk or pre-cut? (Bulk seems cheaper?)
If so what source did you use to get your film and what film did you get?
Overall how difficult would you rate the procedure?

the process seems moderate, but with time, patience, and appropriate prep, the outcome would be nice.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I purchased a small roll of 3M protectant from Amazon to try it myself. I did the areas behind the wheels so far. I watched a video on installing 3M pro. The video was helpful.

I found the hardest part getting the film cut to the correct size. I don’t like the idea of cutting the excess off after the film has been applied, although that is what the installers recommend when using bulk. It makes me nervous cutting/scoring the film just above the paint.

It would be easier buying the pre-cut film, but definitely more expensive. I wish someone sold the patterns.

Neokane

Reaction score
I have found some kits on ebay, but I think bulk buying is the way to go.

The ram doens't appear to have any crazy difficult places for laying it on. My thought was to just do one body piece at a time.

ericd

Reaction score
Having had great results with my last XPEL truck I was torn about doing this new one because of the high cost. So as a compromise I did some of it myself. I just ordered the 10ft rolls of XPEL and covered the large areas of the front grill and bumpers in square and rectangular pieces. Everything came out really nice and the install wasn't very difficult. You cant even see the pieces in person. It's not 100% perfect as far as cutting every corner perfect as if it came off of a plotter, but for less than $100 I'm very pleased with the results. The only parts that were difficult were the long sections that wrapped around the bumper corners. 56376401298__52CA421A-B4F4-43DE-ADC0-B8C778AE7899.jpg IMG_7163.jpg

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most flat surfaces are easy to do, I had mine professionally installed and she had a hard time on the "chipmunk cheeks"(under the headlight it has some funny angles.
I had my hood(18") over the fender, under headlight, A-pillar, roof(18") guaranteed for 10 years done for $485(Canadian).

19 streak

Reaction score
Most flat surfaces are easy to do, I had mine professionally installed and she had a hard time on the "chipmunk cheeks"(under the headlight it has some funny angles.
I had my hood(18") over the fender, under headlight, A-pillar, roof(18") guaranteed for 10 years done for $485(Canadian).

Where did you get this done? I'm in Ontario as well and the front of my truck is already full of chips. I'm going to get those taken care of in the spring and get some sort of protection put on after that.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where did you get this done? I'm in Ontario as well and the front of my truck is already full of chips. I'm going to get those taken care of in the spring and get some sort of protection put on after that.

Had them done at a local shop. PM me and I can give you their info and I can go in and see them and get you a quote.

Users who are viewing this thread