5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display said Shift to Park when Driving???

willemsen

Reaction score
Well, I can't say "has never happened while driving" anymore. Today I backed out of my driveway, shifted to drive, and was on my way for a 15 mile drive to my destination. After about 2 miles that "Shift to Park" message appeared. I was able to retire it by hitting the down arrow on the steering wheel as though I was changing EVIC screens. It repeated the message about every 2-3 miles and I could retire it by hitting either the up or down arrow. Maybe any button would retire it. I stopped at my destination and turned the truck off. Left to return home and the message did not appear again. Nor has it appeared on any trips since then.

There are no effects, no damages, no symptoms, and no codes. I still believe the computer just screws up, is just an anomaly, and it corrects with an ignition recycle. If it happened with any frequency I'd be concerned. For me, the last time this happened was months ago.
I have it every Day almost
Nobody seems to have the solution

M38a1

Reaction score
I have it every Day almost
Nobody seems to have the solution
My 2019 with 64k miles is in the shop today. It has happed about ten times. They have changed the fluids with very little debri supposedly in it, transmission control module in and reprogrammed the Tranny. I am out of warranty but received a deal about class action law suit on transmission. When I signed in this morning wrote across for m that this was ongoing and no charges. Usually happens when slowing and not coming to complete stop but califnia roll through stop sign. Has also happened when entering intersection and freeway. Have to come to complete stop shift to park and then drive. Going to get rear ended or t boned if not fixed. Say post with one other person named M with a 2019 sounded just like my issue.

Gonzo2065

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 not etorque, while driving 50mph, truck shuts off, shift p to park message comes on screen. Was able to coast to side of road safely. Got it started again, drove about 2 miles, truck shuts off again. Eventually was only able to drive for about 5 seconds before truck would shut down. Got to a parking lot and was sitting waiting for a tow truck and the dash would light up and the start/stop button would switch to run. This happened multiple times as I sat in the truck. Finally got it to dealer, hoping they can find the issue. It obviously showed no codes when they hooked it up. If anyone finds a solution for non etorque ram please let us know. I’ll post my the fix if the dealer provides one.

Gonzo2065

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 not etorque, while driving 50mph, truck shuts off, shift p to park message comes on screen. Was able to coast to side of road safely. Got it started again, drove about 2 miles, truck shuts off again. Eventually was only able to drive for about 5 seconds before truck would shut down. Got to a parking lot and was sitting waiting for a tow truck and the dash would light up and the start/stop button would switch to run. This happened multiple times as I sat in the truck. Finally got it to dealer, hoping they can find the issue. It obviously showed no codes when they hooked it up. If anyone finds a solution for non etorque ram please let us know. I’ll post my the fix if the dealer provides one.
Update: short circuit in RF Hub. $1200 fix and I should be good

Tyndall5818

Reaction score
Anyone ever find out what is causing this to happen? Like most of the people here i am concerned this is going to happen while pulling out into an intersection and it causing me to get into an accident. This has happened to me a few times. Once was when I took my foot off the gas while cruising to a stop. The second was when i was trying to accelerate out of a turn. So it seems like it’s random. Someone I met randomly asked if this was happening to my truck because it also happened to theirs. Dealership was no help and he ended up trading in the truck. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 it’s not the eco boost and it just went over 30,000 miles. I already had the shifter knob replaced because it was sticking. Ive seen some people mention they cleaned the throttle body and air flow sensor, some did the reflash, and now someone here said there was a short circuit in the RF hub. So has anyone actually debunked this or could it be multiple issues causing the same problem?

anthonya2006

Reaction score
Anyone ever find out what is causing this to happen? Like most of the people here i am concerned this is going to happen while pulling out into an intersection and it causing me to get into an accident. This has happened to me a few times. Once was when I took my foot off the gas while cruising to a stop. The second was when i was trying to accelerate out of a turn. So it seems like it’s random. Someone I met randomly asked if this was happening to my truck because it also happened to theirs. Dealership was no help and he ended up trading in the truck. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 it’s not the eco boost and it just went over 30,000 miles. I already had the shifter knob replaced because it was sticking. Ive seen some people mention they cleaned the throttle body and air flow sensor, some did the reflash, and now someone here said there was a short circuit in the RF hub. So has anyone actually debunked this or could it be multiple issues causing the same problem?
Nope cleaned my throttle body still been happening. Swapped out the crankshaft sensor still happened, it’s been at the dealership for about a week and they still don’t know what’s wrong. It’s pretty clearly a defect in the software. Ford just did a big recall cause of something similar. Not sure what else to do at this point. I’ve been to three different mechanics including a Dodge dealer center

Users who are viewing this thread