5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disconnected Battery now i have issue Help please

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I disconnect my battery for installing the Mopar Cold air Intake as per the Instruction . Reconnected everything started truck no cameras. drove down the road for 5 mins and then all of the sudden. Anti-brake,traction ctrl, Cruise control, fwd/rear warning alerts, 4 wheel drive, All of these are indicated on my instrument cluster. I had to get home drove for 1 hours stop for gas then another hour to go. On staring back up my cameras came back and all indication were off as soon as i got on the Interstate all the same issue came back except for the camera they are working normal. i got home disconnect Neg. let it set for 30 Mins and tried it again. all lights off but after 30 min all the instrument cautions came back. stop at auto zone and use the basic scan tool no codes found. I was reading some scan tool does a battery reset. could this fix my problem. This is crazy my first problem with the truck with 40,000 miles on it. Is this a normal must take truck to a dealer now to replace a battery. Get real FCA , Need help anyone

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it may take as long as overnight to get back to normal. I see posts about this after disconnecting battery. Probably better off not disconnecting battery again.

Hopefully one of our forum experts can confirm this.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I disconnect my battery for installing the Mopar Cold air Intake as per the Instruction . Reconnected everything started truck no cameras. drove down the road for 5 mins and then all of the sudden. Anti-brake,traction ctrl, Cruise control, fwd/rear warning alerts, 4 wheel drive, All of these are indicated on my instrument cluster. I had to get home drove for 1 hours stop for gas then another hour to go. On staring back up my cameras came back and all indication were off as soon as i got on the Interstate all the same issue came back except for the camera they are working normal. i got home disconnect Neg. let it set for 30 Mins and tried it again. all lights off but after 30 min all the instrument cautions came back. stop at auto zone and use the basic scan tool no codes found. I was reading some scan tool does a battery reset. could this fix my problem. This is crazy my first problem with the truck with 40,000 miles on it. Is this a normal must take truck to a dealer now to replace a battery. Get real FCA , Need help anyone
You have a 2019, is it a 2019 battery? The Rams are battery sensitive. My Ram would not come out of first gear and after sitting everything was OK. Then I had some additional problems, replaced battery all is good.

Not everything comes back right away when you reconnect the battery. Hope it is as simple as that.

glasswagon

Reaction score
I plan on getting this for when I have to work on the truck with the battery disconnected, I hear this solves the problem that comes with disconnecting the battery.

they also have ones that just uses AA or 9v batteries if you don't have a jumppack to connect this to.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Restart it three times. For whatever reason that always worked on my 19 Rebel whenever I disconnected the battery. All my settings always magically reappeared.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thread on battery and associated problems - if anybody is interested.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Update Dealership has the truck they did found codes. Wheel Speed Sensor.which can cause multi warning (possible bad) waiting to confirm. Just my luck the sensor failed at that time when i change those parts. Or could it have been a millivolt when removing the neg. cable shorted it out who knows. just seems weird that it failed at that time. Still need to get the nav systems fix they told me they sometimes it has to be reflash and get the codes from FCA. Thanks to all for you help in this matter i will let you know the result.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Update Dealership has the truck they did found codes. Wheel Speed Sensor.which can cause multi warning (possible bad) waiting to confirm. Just my luck the sensor failed at that time when i change those parts. Or could it have been a millivolt when removing the neg. cable shorted it out who knows. just seems weird that it failed at that time. Still need to get the nav systems fix they told me they sometimes it has to be reflash and get the codes from FCA. Thanks to all for you help in this matter i will let you know the result.
Let us know the final outcome.
Agree with others (and personal experience) that yeah, these vehicles are very finicky when it comes to disconnecting the battery. When mine went bad and I‘ve had to jump it, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Not fun seeing that…

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I plan on getting this for when I have to work on the truck with the battery disconnected, I hear this solves the problem that comes with disconnecting the battery.

they also have ones that just uses AA or 9v batteries if you don't have a jumppack to connect this to.
Using this would defeat the purpose of disconnecting the battery in the first place. The item in the link you posted is only for use when you want to swap out the battery. It's recommended to disconnect the battery for repair work or to install mods, so that you won't inadvertently short out anything, which can damage circuitry and components. If you disconnect the battery, but keep the 12v system energized, you can still cause damage to sensitive electronic components, even if you're using AA or 9v batteries.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I wonder why some trucks cause a problem with disconnected batteries and some do not! I disconnected The battery on my 2020 Laramie sport for about an hour when I put on my Mopar Ram air. No problems whatsoever, did not lose any settings on the radio or anything else!

RhondaRebel

Reaction score
I had a muffler put on a little over a week ago and was going to put my intake on when I got home and asked the guy if I really needed to disconnect the battery like the instructions said. He said “don’t, we’ve had issues with the Rams when we’ve done that so we don’t bother doing it anymore”. Glad I didn’t but I’m glad they think they figured out your issue. Hope that’s it!

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I never disconnect the battery if I'm not working on something electrical. Even then, I'd rather pull a fuse instead.
After re-connecting the battery, I found that if I start the engine and just let it idle for a few minutes before driving it, I don't get those annoying error alerts.
It's possible that all the different modules need time to communicate (handshaking) over the comm buses before they can all play nice together again.

Steve

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Update Dealership has the truck they did found codes. Wheel Speed Sensor.which can cause multi warning (possible bad) waiting to confirm. Just my luck the sensor failed at that time when i change those parts. Or could it have been a millivolt when removing the neg. cable shorted it out who knows. just seems weird that it failed at that time. Still need to get the nav systems fix they told me they sometimes it has to be reflash and get the codes from FCA. Thanks to all for you help in this matter i will let you know the resu

Truck return today, Everything working correctly . Weird how something failed at the same time you are modding your truck. It was the Wheel Speed Sensor. Everything came back to 12in screen. Thanks to all for your inputs

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
All lights and problems came (codes) came back today. Dealer said the same code Rh Speed sensor came back along with ABS and Others. will let all know the finally out come.

Dj360

Reaction score
All lights and problems came (codes) came back today. Dealer said the same code Rh Speed sensor came back along with ABS and Others. will let all know the finally out come.
did you ever find out what was causing it?

storminnorman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I know this thread is old but for anyone who recently had the same issue i will upload what the resolution was for me.

My battery died on my 2021 ram and when I replaced it, i went to the dealer to clear the code and they could not get it to stay clear.

After I dropped the truck off and they spent more time looking into the issue they learn that it was a connection lose between the abs systems and others that was causing this issue.

I ended up with a $100 fix for needing to upgrade my battery.

Invoice attached.
I hope this helps the next person that runs into this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread