5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disconnect battery?

jcjohn

Reaction score
All, headed out to MT for 7 day elk hunt next week. Truck will be parked at trailhead for 7 days, and evening temps. will be in 40s or lower. Should I unhook battery to prevent it going dead while we are in the bush?

GerryS

Reaction score
Bring jumper cables. Most likely you will be OK.
My 2019 battery died with no warning earlier this week after sitting in the garage for a week and a half.
If I was you, I would check the battery voltage before you go. If less than 12.5, put a trickle charger on it overnight and see if it holds a higher voltage.
Gerry

GerryS

Reaction score
I don’t know if you know that back in 2019 there was a battery problem that according to what I read on this forum, FCA changed battery manufacturers.
I wish you good hunting!
Gerry

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It would be asking for trouble in my opinion. There are numerous threads with trucks misbehaving and dashboards lit up like a Christmas tree and radios losing Sirius and so on after a battery disconnect. If the battery goes dead, you may have the same thing, but at least you have a sporting chance by leaving it connected.

If the trailhead is sunny, you could get one of these dashboard solar chargers and switch the 12V outlet fuse to B+ and leave it trickle charging.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Hey guys, we were in the wilderness from 7/14-7/21. The weather was pretty nice although cold at night. When we got back to the truck she fired right up without any issues. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread