5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling MDS, is it bad for the engine?

NightRAM

Reaction score
Sorry if I could not find the answer in search but disabling MDS via the gear limiter, has it ever been determined that it's bad for the engine if you do it often? Now that I have an aftermarket exhaust, I am disabling it almost every time I drive, but at just 1,000 miles, I don't want to break anything.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Sorry if I could not find the answer in search but disabling MDS via the gear limiter, has it ever been determined that it's bad for the engine if you do it often? Now that I have an aftermarket exhaust, I am disabling it almost every time I drive, but at just 1,000 miles, I don't want to break anything.
Not at all. Folks have been doing it for years w/o any adverse effects.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Quite the opposite, many people feel that disabling the MDS actually improves reliability. People have been doing it because they don't trust turning off half the cylinders just to save a tiny amount of mpg.

Of course long term testing has show that MDS operation does not negatively effect durability. Leaving it off certainly won't either, because your engine is essentially operating like normal without MDS operation.

Users who are viewing this thread