5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling DRL's in Canadian trucks

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I upgraded my lights from halogen to morimoto xb hybrid led's. These come with their own bright white accent strips serving as DRL's, and so I need to turn off the DRL's on my Ram because otherwise the morimoto headlights will flicker on and off several times.

In USA you guys have the setting in uconnect, apparently in Canada our trucks don't have that option.

I did purchase a tazer dt, and it seems to suggest it can do what I want, in two places:
DRL Type: Choose USA (on but selectable), Canada (on all the time), or Off.
DRL Location: Turns, Fogs, or Low beams

The "type" has an "off" which I tried, doesn't work.
The "location" I think also has an "off" setting, doesn't work.

I've tried changing to USA, and then in Uconnect the setting appeared to turn off DRL's. But choosing that setting doesn't actually have any effect.

I had PM'd a member here before my Tazer arrived and he said the tazer can't turn them off, only change the location. That does seem to be the case in practise, but the settings availlable in Tazer DT suggest it should be possible.

Anybody get this working? All I've managed so far is to change the DRL to my turn signals, which is better since now at least I'm not damaging anything, but I want them off completely.

Does AlphaOBD do this any better?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Canadian, tazer, and set to usa… can turn on/off from settings on the big screen.
Had them off for around a week but turned them back on from screen settings.
Have latest firmware?

silver billet

Reaction score
Canadian, tazer, and set to usa… can turn on/off from settings on the big screen.
Had them off for around a week but turned them back on from screen settings.
Have latest firmware?

I bought the device new last week, I'm assuming it has the latest firmware but I will double check.

So your "DRL Type" is "USA", what did you set your "DRL Location" to? Did you leave that on low beams and then use uconnect to turn it off there?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you know what they say about assume - ***-u-me lol

When I got mine (1.2 years ago) it was 2 revisions behind..... and did the update.... and then around a month ago I saw several updates since I had last updated, so I did the update..... DRL options finally worked, and everything else seemed better....
and then I check again today, and there's another update!!! Might do it this weekend or early next week

silver billet

Reaction score
Finally got this sorted. Can confirm that Tazer DT will disable DRL's even in Canadian trucks.

In the vehicle settings:
- set drl type: "USA"
- set drl location: "off" or "turns"

In live menu settings:
- turn off amber drl's (this setting isn't in the pdf manual! but the option is there in this firmware)

In Uconnect, once you've set drl type to "USA" and did the 2 cycle reboot:
- settings -> lights -> unselect the "running lights".

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I'm having issues with this as well. The Tazer for me at the moment is highly overrated and buggy. For one, the options don't stay on screen for me at all. It keeps switching back to whatever radio station I'm on. Frustrating because you can't see what option you're actually trying to change. It shows for half a second then disappears.

Second, I got it mostly for changing the lights as I don't like the DRL's. I wanted to have my fogs as the main DRL + the two white LED accent lights. DRL location cannot be set to Fogs even though the PDF says it can be, which is the third issue I have with Tazer.

Would really appreciate if anyone can share what settings they used and a picture of how it looks would be a bonus. I have the latest firmware. Was the first thing I did when I got it and I've tried multiple times to troubleshoot the issues with it being buggy. Don't know what's going on. Maybe cause my truck is a '22?

silver billet

Reaction score
When you're adjusting the Tazer, try turning your radio to bluetooth or something else that doesn't have any data; when you have the radio on, it will send text data to the dash display and interrupt the messages from Tazer.

Not a fan of Tazer either in its current form, can't tell you the number of times I hit the wrong button by mistake and had to cycle all through the menu again to find it back. Would much rather have a bluetooth app for controlling it.

I don't remember seeing fogs as an option either. Sorry, maybe contact tazer?

Can you still fold your mirrors in/out manually? Ever since installing my LED's I've been unable to do this, so either I blew a fuse somewhere or Tazer changed something somewhere so that the manual power fold no longer works.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
When you're adjusting the Tazer, try turning your radio to bluetooth or something else that doesn't have any data; when you have the radio on, it will send text data to the dash display and interrupt the messages from Tazer.

Not a fan of Tazer either in its current form, can't tell you the number of times I hit the wrong button by mistake and had to cycle all through the menu again to find it back. Would much rather have a bluetooth app for controlling it.

I don't remember seeing fogs as an option either. Sorry, maybe contact tazer?

Can you still fold your mirrors in/out manually? Ever since installing my LED's I've been unable to do this, so either I blew a fuse somewhere or Tazer changed something somewhere so that the manual power fold no longer works.
I've tried it man. Can't get the stupid text to disappear at all. Even when I turn of the radio, the mute notification takes up the whole screen. Pretty frustrating.

The fogs are an option on the PDF but don't come up at all in screen, but yeah at least my mirrors still fold. Crazy they charge so much for Tazer when it's buggy, and not at all user friendly. As much as some guys say they have no issues, it's really a b!tc# to work with. An app like you say would definitely make it worth the price tag IMO. Otherwise it's kind of overrated honestly.

silver billet

Reaction score
I've tried it man. Can't get the stupid text to disappear at all. Even when I turn of the radio, the mute notification takes up the whole screen. Pretty frustrating.

The fogs are an option on the PDF but don't come up at all in screen, but yeah at least my mirrors still fold. Crazy they charge so much for Tazer when it's buggy, and not at all user friendly. As much as some guys say they have no issues, it's really a b!tc# to work with. An app like you say would definitely make it worth the price tag IMO. Otherwise it's kind of overrated honestly.

Your radio and the tazer will both "fight" to display messages on the screen, which is why we have to find a way to turn off the messages from the radio as much as possible. But if a message does appear from the radio, just ignore it. So if I'm scrolling through the menu in tazer and a radio message appears, it just changes the display but doesn't actually interrupt tazer itself; if you continue scrolling down in tazer it will bump the radio message off the display and tazer will put its next message there.

Interesting that you still have power mirrors, guess I need to look into that further.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Your radio and the tazer will both "fight" to display messages on the screen, which is why we have to find a way to turn off the messages from the radio as much as possible. But if a message does appear from the radio, just ignore it. So if I'm scrolling through the menu in tazer and a radio message appears, it just changes the display but doesn't actually interrupt tazer itself; if you continue scrolling down in tazer it will bump the radio message off the display and tazer will put its next message there.

Interesting that you still have power mirrors, guess I need to look into that further.
Yeah I know what you mean. Problem is the radio messages win out and stay on screen. When I try to access the Tazer menu it shows for half a second then the radio message takes over and if you didn't catch it, you have no idea what option you're on. It's frustrating because then you have to scroll all the way thru the options again just to make sure you don't accidentally change anything you didn't intend to.

Hughdog10

Reaction score
Finally got this sorted. Can confirm that Tazer DT will disable DRL's even in Canadian trucks.

In the vehicle settings:
- set drl type: "USA"
- set drl location: "off" or "turns"

In live menu settings:
- turn off amber drl's (this setting isn't in the pdf manual! but the option is there in this firmware)

In Uconnect, once you've set drl type to "USA" and did the 2 cycle reboot:
- settings -> lights -> unselect the "running lights".
It there any way you can share the steps you took with the Tazer DT to disable the DRL in a truck that was made to import to Canada? I know own the truck and I’m in the USA.

silver billet

Reaction score
It there any way you can share the steps you took with the Tazer DT to disable the DRL in a truck that was made to import to Canada? I know own the truck and I’m in the USA.

You quoted the exact steps I wrote down 🙂

That's all I got unfortunately, I haven't touched the tazer since then and actually it's unplugged from my truck too.

Users who are viewing this thread