5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling always on power in usb ports

ksu1971

Reaction score
IIRC, the USB ports have 3 terminals each in the fuse panel so you can move the fuse to one side or the other to get constant power or switched power.

Now, that may have been the old way before the USB’s all got tied in to the radio.
I don't think that works anymore or I was moving the wrong fuse.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fuse move only works for the power outlet on top of the dash.

BobK

Reaction score
Just got the Motorola MA1 to get wireless Android Auto in my 2021 1500. But parking in the driveway and going in the house, Phone will stay connected to the MA1 or jump from home wifi to it back and forth. VERY annoying. Ordered these as i think its the only option and have to remember to turn off when i get home all the time.

Skillz1975

Reaction score
Just got the Motorola MA1 to get wireless Android Auto in my 2021 1500. But parking in the driveway and going in the house, Phone will stay connected to the MA1 or jump from home wifi to it back and forth. VERY annoying. Ordered these as i think its the only option and have to remember to turn off when i get home all the time.
I tried that for aawireless dongle but the data for android auto wouldn't work. Ugh. Did yours work?

nofear72784

Reaction score
I just picked up the Ottocast and it works great but same issue. Usb's dont turn off so the phone stays connected to the truck and I miss calls.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
USB ports stay on for charging purposes. They turn off after 1h.

nofear72784

Reaction score
I read the 1 hour part but that's still an issue. When you park in a garage your phone stays connected while your in the house. It ties up your wifi connection and all your audio including calls go out to the truck.

stoneZone

Reaction score
I read the 1 hour part but that's still an issue. When you park in a garage your phone stays connected while your in the house. It ties up your wifi connection and all your audio including calls go out to the truck.
Still looking for a fix for this. Thinking about an adapter from the driver side fuse box to supply ignition power when on. And splice into a USb extension cord with the 5v line replaced with the fuse line. Then only have data lines running to the AndroidAuto port.

PokerPlayer77

Reaction score
Still looking for a fix for this. Thinking about an adapter from the driver side fuse box to supply ignition power when on. And splice into a USb extension cord with the 5v line replaced with the fuse line. Then only have data lines running to the AndroidAuto port.

Has anyone figured out a solution?

I had my Motorola MA1 plugged into my 2022 Dodge Ram's center console USB port. Forgot to unplug it. Got Covid so haven't been to the truck in 2 days. Went down and today the battery was dead. Seems like the USB port is always hot.

Nehal51086

Reaction score
Ram Fam, I think I have a solution. It requires a few extra pieces, but i tried it out briefly and it worked as we need it to.
My purchase list :
USB power data splitter.
HIGHROCK 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord(1pc) https://a.co/d/4sNRw3p
Right angle adapter
USB 3.0 Adapter 90 Degree Male to Female Coupler Connector Plug Left Angle and Right Angle by Oxsubor https://a.co/d/2yYvfIA
2' USB extension 90 degree head ( 90° is optional)
GELRHONR USB 3.0 Extension Cable 3.3Ft Type A Male to A Female Extension Cord Data Transfer Extender Cable for USB Flash Drive/Hard Drive (Black-Right Angle) https://a.co/d/2T5YrUE

What I did was used the splitter used the power only end to bring power to the AA wireless device from in my case the top from the 110v outlet below the sliding cup holders.
The data end of the split still has a 12v pin on it. Got the idea from searching only, where they were simply placing tap over the 12v pin. See image.
The tape I used was kinda cheap it tore when I plugged in the adapter. While still on the truck found a piece of paper to replace the tape with. Which did the trick.

Then I just kind of crammed it all in that space next to the ports for now, till I figure out how to clean it up.

The 90° into the trucks USB port isn't really needed, I figured it would help with cabling, and if the tape/or paper got stuck it's not in the trucks port.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2004869346.jpg
    Snapchat-2004869346.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230425_141706-01.jpeg
    20230425_141706-01.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230425_141719-01.jpeg
    20230425_141719-01.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Driaz

Reaction score
I tried that for aawireless dongle but the data for android auto wouldn't work. Ugh. Did yours work?

Thanks BobK!

I can confirm this switch worked for me with the MA1 in my 2020 Laramie for wireless android auto. Quick easy solve until I get ambitious enough to tear into the fuse box and wire it correctly to ignition/ACC power. Of the hundreds of settings customizable through the radio can't believe there is no setting for how you want to power the USB ports.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What about something like this. Not automatic but less wires.

ANDTOBO USB Switch Extension Cable, Upgraded USB Extension Cord with On/Off Power Switch Cable for LED Strips, iOS System, etc https://a.co/d/0GQrZNC

Tattoofever6971

Reaction score
Is it possible it’s the actual usb media port ? Reason I ask is I have 20 bighorn 1500 had the jump seat the usbs on ft turned off 15 minutes after truck turned off or whenever door opened
I swapped out my jump seat for a console from 2019 now they stay on constant ?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it possible it’s the actual usb media port ? Reason I ask is I have 20 bighorn 1500 had the jump seat the usbs on ft turned off 15 minutes after truck turned off or whenever door opened
I swapped out my jump seat for a console from 2019 now they stay on constant ?
They should only stay on for an hour, not constantly.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They should only stay on for an hour, not constantly.

Also, they will reset anytime the door/doom light is activated back to 1 hour. So it may seem constant to him because every time he opens his doors to check, they turned back on.

To properly test how long they are staying on, the OP should use a lighted USB cabled or leave the windows down and see if his connected devise is still on after 1 hour.

Clog24Ram

Reaction score
Sorry. Not aware of a way to do this. Perhaps some custom coding, but that's not something I've played around with. Hopefully, someone can chime in.
Hey Y'all, Wondering about this myself. Just picked up a 2019 1500 and want to get the Motorola MA1 wireless adapter for my android auto but i dont want it to stay on when i shut the truck off. any Info helps. Thanks

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Y'all, Wondering about this myself. Just picked up a 2019 1500 and want to get the Motorola MA1 wireless adapter for my android auto but i dont want it to stay on when i shut the truck off. any Info helps. Thanks
I just simply unplug my wireless adapter.
I tried using the USB cord with the switch, but the wireless adapter wouldn't work. So I gave up and just unplug.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Hi all,
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I went with the gen forum. Anyway, I looked through the manual, and searched through the menu settings, but I couldn't find a way to disable the always on power setting from the center stack usb ports. Is this even possible? I recently added a dash cam, and it will power down after 5 seconds of no vehicle power, so I'd like to be able to kill the #2 usb plug (8.4 Uconnect nav), as opposed to plugging/unplugging the cable every time I drive.

What's hilarious to me is I actually had to do the reverse in my '17 Pacifica, and do the "move the fuse" hack to force the usb port in the center stack to remain on when the van was off to charge phones. Is there a similar hack on the fuse panels in our trucks?
Gen5diy.com sells a PnP harness for Rams that was designed for Radar Detectors (it connects into the rear view mirror harness) but it can be ordered with a Pigtail for a Dashcam also. I have the one for just a Radar Detector and it was a 5 minute install, so the Dashcam harness would be equally quick and easy. This harness powers on in ACC and RUN modes.

Users who are viewing this thread