5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disable Kickdown?

Reaction score
Here is an odd one . . . . I have a 2019 Ram with 5.7.
I love the power, but I do have one complaint. The power and torque is great in the middle of the power band, but I find that this engine (in stock trim) just doesn't like to rev. Power seems to be best at about 4000rpm, the kickdown shoots it way past that.
That said, if I am accelerating (such as on an on ramp) and get my foot into it pretty good, well of course it downshifts into a passing gear and overrevs right out of the meat of the powerband. Drives me nuts!
I would love to disable the kickdown completely, to keep it in the meat of the power. If I want more RPMs, I am perfectly capable of using the "paddle shifter" on the steering wheel.
So, first, am I the only one that feels this?
Second, is there any way to disable the kickdown?
Thank you!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Try this: Key on engine off, slowly depress the gas pedal to the floor and then slowly release it. Then shut it off, wait a few, then go ahead and drive it. If that didn't adjust the shift points, you'll have to learn to lighten your foot.

Reaction score
Use steering wheel mounted manual shift buttons to curb those upshifts until you want them.
You got a paddle shifter?

Steve
Steve, the shifter buttons on the wheel are the "paddle shifter" that I speak of. Poor analogy perhaps.

I can control upshifts with them easily.

It's the downshifts that drive me nuts.

If (preventing) downshifts can be controlled with those buttons, I am not understanding how.
@stevj

silver billet

Reaction score
Peak HP for the 5.7 is at 5600 RPMs. I don't know why you want to demand more power out of the engine than it can give at 4000 RPMs, but don't want to let it rev to where it needs to be to make that power.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Steve, the shifter buttons on the wheel are the "paddle shifter" that I speak of. Poor analogy perhaps.

I can control upshifts with them easily.

It's the downshifts that drive me nuts.

If (preventing) downshifts can be controlled with those buttons, I am not understanding how.
@stevj
I think those buttons are gear limiters useful for going downhill with a trailer, i.e. set the limit to 6th gear and the truck won't continue to accelerate coasting down hill.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.

Downshifts are a function of ECU and TCU programming and are based on many factors, including current gear/accelerator pedal position/rate of change of pedal position/is pedal at WOT position/engine temp/coolant temp/transmission temp/O2 sensor inputs/calculated engine load/knock sensor inputs and many more factors.
As was stated by others above, the shift control buttons only control upper gear limit.
There is no way I'm aware of to keep your transmission from downshifting, and not downshifting is an undesirable thing for many reasons, including mechanical stresses.
As a for example: if you've ever driven a manual transmission at low speed in high gear and then needed to accelerate quickly, what's the first thing you do to keep from lugging the engine? If you do just press the pedal down without a gear change, what noises come from the engine compartment?
Let the beast breathe.

Steve

silver billet

Reaction score
I think @OhGreatExhalted1's question is a result of his thinking the engine makes more power at 4000 then it does at 5000. All I can say is, sometimes our perceptions are inaccurate. The engine has been dynoed many times, by Ram and by others, we know peak power is at 5600 so definitely don't try to stop it reaching that point if it needs to.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
You may be right. I had a 2010 Tundra with a 5.7L engine, and between 3500 and 4000 RPM's, the engine valve timing phasers would shift and the new valve timing would give an instant feeling of increased power. Haven't felt that with the Ram engine, though.

Steve

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
They make the max tq at low rpm and max hp at upper rpm. Mine works fine besides the throttle delay, as I don’t have a pedal commander etc

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I suppose I have my answer. Seems the kickdown is complicated, and not easily (or at all) defeated. Rats . . .

I have Dyno results in front of me now and as has been pointed out, the max horsepower is indeed just north of 5500rpm. Peak torque would seem to be right at 4000.

I would seem to need to defend my position that I like the way it pulls at 4000rpm. I assert that my perception is so sophisticated that I am able to discern the difference between a horsepower and a torque. 😁 And I favor torques over horsepowers.

IMHO torques feel better, sound better, and smell better than do horsepowers.

Screenshot_20210527-075806.png

Reaction score
I will add one thing.

If I "stomp it" and let the auto trans do the shifting completely, holding it to the floor, I can FEEL it "lay down" before every shift.

And not just a tiny bit, it is a substantial drop in acceleration. Breaks my heart

The power drops dramatically before whatever the WOT shift point is.
Whoever has programmed this thing WANTS it to overrev right on past the sweet spot.

redneck

Reaction score
I know what the op is talking about if I am driving at 1/4 throttle and push the pedal to half throttle it down shifts and red lines I'm not looking for that much power just moderate acceleration also noticed from half throttle to Full Throttle there is no difference in feeling of acceleration the tach still climbs at the same rate

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could get your PCM/TCM unlocked and get both tuned. It would void your warranty but might get you the experience you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/