5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dipstick

21RAMidnight

Reaction score
Checked my oil for the first time (2021 RAM 1500 w/5.7 etorque) noticed dipstick is two pieces riveted together. Anybody know why? Seems like a problem waiting to happen!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Checked my oil for the first time (2021 RAM 1500 w/5.7 etorque) noticed dipstick is two pieces riveted together. Anybody know why? Seems like a problem waiting to happen!
What are your concerns about this? I've owned several vehicles with two-piece dipsticks and have never had an issue with them. I don't know for sure but I suspect they make the upper section to fit a variety of engine types, and rivet on the correct extension based on the engine it goes into. I'm sure it's cheaper for them to make them this way. They will try and save $$ anywhere they can get away with it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha I guess I might have thought the same thing on my first. All it needs to do is indicate oil level. It's a pretty low tech piece of equipment.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's a long dip stick, but I know what you mean. My main issue isn't it breaking apart, but catching a piece of paper towel while wiping off during a check and having it fall in without me noticing.

Try a German car, they usually have the end indicator being a small block of plastic bolted to the metal dipstick, that's even scarier what could happen there :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a long dip stick, but I know what you mean. My main issue isn't it breaking apart, but catching a piece of paper towel while wiping off during a check and having it fall in without me noticing.

Try a German car, they usually have the end indicator being a small block of plastic bolted to the metal dipstick, that's even scarier what could happen there :)
My Audi doesn't even have a dipstick. Oil level is checked using their equivalent of uconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread