5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dim LED stock headlamps

jzinckgra

Reaction score
My Laramie 2021 with stock LED headlamps don't seem very bright at night. I would have thought they were halogens. On high beams, they are pretty dim and don't project far. At least in comparison to my Ranger I just sold and my wife's Volvo, the Ram's are not very good. Is this to be expected?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s one of the downfalls of having a led light that’s not a projector like on the limiteds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Yeah. It’s one of the downfalls of having a led light that’s not a projector like on the limiteds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, that stinks. Talk about cutting corners. Seems like all model trucks using LED should be using a good reflector

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This was my thinking too. I was a little disappointed with the headlights on the 2020 Laramie I used to own. I went from a 2017 Rebel, with projector halogens, to the Laramie, with reflector LED's. The Laramie headlights seemed to be a little brighter, but didn't project any farther down the road than the 4th gen projectors on the Rebel. My current Limited has projector LED's and do a much better job. Although they still aren't the best out there.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie headlamps are decent, but the High Beams are some of the BEST I have ever had. They light up everything for an incredible distance.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are these the same LED reflectors that come on the Big Horn? I was driving home from the dealer and noticed it. I thought it was because I was getting near a lighted road entering the city. In my garage against the wall they look really bright.

JC4041

Reaction score
Left '21 2500 Laramie (LED Reflector Headlamps), right '09 1500 with AlphaRex with halogens.

21 Ram.jpg

Left is the '09 right is the '21

1639631439505.jpeg

Bob.

Reaction score
I changed them to LEDs. I work nights and I need good lights.
Headlight Revolution is where I learned how to upgrade. They have videos and teach you how to install and what is worth buying. I'm happy that I upgraded.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder if the new headlights are different than the 2019 ones because my 2019 factory LEDs are stupid bright! I’ve even seen articles saying they’re “too bright” for oncoming traffic! So I wonder if they lowered the output for 2021🤔

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder if the new headlights are different than the 2019 ones because my 2019 factory LEDs are stupid bright! I’ve even seen articles saying they’re “too bright” for oncoming traffic! So I wonder if they lowered the output for 2021🤔
Unlikely. My 2021 Laramie LED's are also stupid bright and I'm not just comparing them to my 13 year old Tundra. That's compared to my wife's 2020 Porsche. I don't doubt that the Limited's headlights are better, but these are far from being bad.

Every time I come on this forum, I find a new shortcoming of my truck that I didn't know existed. Imagine all of those sorry @ss people that don't visit forums going through life...fat, dumb, and happy with their trucks. 🤣

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Unlikely. My 2021 Laramie LED's are also stupid bright and I'm not just comparing them to my 13 year old Tundra. That's compared to my wife's 2020 Porsche. I don't doubt that the Limited's headlights are better, but these are far from being bad.

Every time I come on this forum, I find a new shortcoming of my truck that I didn't know existed. Imagine all of those sorry @ss people that don't visit forums going through life...fat, dumb, and happy with their trucks. 🤣
Hahaha ain’t that the truth! I’d probably have blissful ignorance if I wasn’t on here so often 😂

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
The LEDs on my Laramie are some of the best I've ever owned, low beam or high beam. Maybe yours are aimed too far down? Not trying to discount your experience. I just know I was pleasantly surprised at their performance, especially considering they aren't a true projector.

I thought about upgrading to the Morimoto hybrid LED projectors simply because I love their brand but I'm honestly wondering if it would be an upgrade at all.

U

User_67930

The LED headlights on my '19 Big Horn are super bright, they light up everything and the high beams are incredible.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
My Laramie 2021 with stock LED headlamps don't seem very bright at night. I would have thought they were halogens. On high beams, they are pretty dim and don't project far. At least in comparison to my Ranger I just sold and my wife's Volvo, the Ram's are not very good. Is this to be expected?
Lol, just found out why my headlamps appear dim. While dropping my truck off to get undercoating the guy asked me if I knew my windshield was tinted. Nope. Apparently it's illegal here in maine, but at least I know why I thought my lights were garbage.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online