5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rear View Mirror

Tidewater Ram

Reaction score
Anybody else have a foggy image on their digital rear view mirror. Regular mirror is fine so maybe water got on the camera lens?

Attachments

• 6FD4261E-AF60-4287-9A1C-3643550A7DD0.jpeg
    6FD4261E-AF60-4287-9A1C-3643550A7DD0.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 54

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not ever. It’s been crystal clear from day one. You might jump in the bed and take at look at the CHMSL to determine if you have a cracked or loose housing permitting water into it. You might also want to check the inside of the rear window to see if you have any signs of water and look at the top of the window for any signs of a soaked headliner.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody else have a foggy image on their digital rear view mirror. Regular mirror is fine so maybe water got on the camera lens?
I've had that issue several times. I keep having to jump up in the bed and wipe off the camera - I think it's in a prime spot to catch gunk that swirls off the roof.

Even when it's clean, though, I'm not super-amazed by the image.

Tidewater Ram

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback! first thing I did was wipe off the whole CHMSL cover & check for any leaks. No sign of any leaks but that doesn’t mean the dealer won’t find one. Until now I’ve never had any problems & actually much prefer the digital mirror to the traditional one.

Tidewater Ram

Reaction score
Service Rep: The digital rear view mirror is fine - there is no leak and the image in the mirror is clear.
Me: Hard to believe since you saw it 2 days ago when I made the appointment, but I’ll look at it. One look & I asked him to come look @ my truck. He went straight to surrender & got the Service Mananer.
SM: You‘re right. He checks the backup camera on the tailgate (not the inside rear view camera) so I pointed him in the right direction. He then climbs in the bed to clean the lens.
Me: Thinking - gee wish I had thought of that 🙄.
SM then gets mechanic who checked it out.
Mech starts the truck, sees the foggy mirror & then turns on the backup camera view which is crystal clear. Tells the SM the problem can’t be the camera because if the camera was bad both images would be foggy. Mech goes to back of truck & cleans off backup camera lens. Once again I point out the second camera.

Me: How did you check for a leak in the CHMSL that might be causing moisture on the lens when you didn’t even know there was a camera there?

Mech: We’ll order a new camera and call you when it arrives.

It might actually be funny if it weren’t so sad………

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Unfortunately this experience is so common place at dealers these days. It’s hard to believe how little most techs actually know about our trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread