5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rear View Mirror Issue

Tdub

Reaction score
2021 Limited.

Had a "line" show up in the digital rear view mirror last week. Sometimes the line is black, sometimes white. It's constant.
More annoying than anything...

Did a search but didn't find anything.

Was trying to skip the service visit.

Thoughts?

IMG_7789.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably a defect in the display. I don't think you'll be able to avoid a trip to the dealership. I keep my mirror on the normal mirror setting and hardly use mine, but I haven't noticed anything like that when I have used it.

revjvegas

Reaction score
Just spit balling here...but knowing what I do of LCD monitors that looks like it'll probably be an issue either with the screen itself, or the ribbon cable connector.
Yeah, that's a dealer visit.

Tdub

Reaction score
Yea, the digi mirror worked great at first, then the random line showed up and hasn't left.

Called the dealership and they told me it should "reset itself and go away after you turn off the truck and restart"

Umm yea, that didn't happen. :rolleyes:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure the dealer will need to replace the rear view mirror unit

Adonis_1111

Reaction score
Yep, had the same thing happen to mine about 1" off the left hand side. Took it to the dealer in February and it was back-ordered. Took 5 weeks to come in... I can't imagine how long it will take now. It will not go away by itself, might as well bite the bullet and get in the mirror queue. I thought mine was a fluke, now you have me wondering.

That being said, still really like it!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’ll require a new mirror, the LCD is most likely damaged; probably dead Pixel or something. Should be covered under warranty though. Any LCD/LED Screen can fail, probably just a defective unit.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure why the world needs such an item in the first place. Cool concept but just another thing that can break and become an annoyance imo.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure why the world needs such an item in the first place. Cool concept but just another thing that can break and become an annoyance imo.
Because it's awesome. Gets rid of the headrests, rear windshield frames, people's heads, cargo in the cab or bed, makes a wider angle view making easier to backup and view things while enhancing situational awareness to name a few things lol.

Appyfan

Reaction score
Because it's awesome. Gets rid of the headrests, rear windshield frames, people's heads, cargo in the cab or bed, makes a wider angle view making easier to backup and view things while enhancing situational awareness to name a few things lol.

This👆. Plus I have a Bakflip MX4 that flips up against the back window. When I pick up a load of horse bedding, I have to back up a long, skinny ramp to the loading dock. It’s so much easier with the digital rear view, and I can see behind me now on the way home.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All great points. Just hope you don't have to take multiple trips to a dealer. More technology, more problems.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All great points. Just hope you don't have to take multiple trips to a dealer. More technology, more problems.
I mean we're driving 2019+ trucks, anything could fail. Just because someone has a base model, doesn't mean they don't have tech. Sure more tech, more possible failures; but in my experience, someone is just as likely to have something go wrong in a Tradesman as they are in a Limited. What do you say to the guy who's Hemi explodes on his 2021 Tradesman? Shoulda got a 2nd Gen, and so on and so forth.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This👆. Plus I have a Bakflip MX4 that flips up against the back window. When I pick up a load of horse bedding, I have to back up a long, skinny ramp to the loading dock. It’s so much easier with the digital rear view, and I can see behind me now on the way home.
This is the main reason I'd use mine. If I either have passengers or cargo in the back seat, or if my bed is loaded with things that are blocking the mirror. I have a soft roll-up bed cover, so that's not an issue. But I'm considering getting a Bakflip MX4 now that I have the digital camera.

Users who are viewing this thread