5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rear View Mirror Field-of-View

Efriday

Reaction score
I've driven my 2021 Ram Longhorn about 4000 miles studying the Digital Rear View Mirror (I call it the Vampire Mirror, because you can't see yourself in it). RAM seems to have rushed development for this item, because the digital mirror field of view does not match the conventional mirror, which can be selected with the mechanical flipper at the bottom of the mirror.
The digital field-of-view should be adjustable, using one of the bottom mirror control buttons like the tilt and pan buttons provided.
The result of the mismatch is the situation warned about in the old outside mirrors "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR".
Also, the Digital mirror is a display, not a mirror, so one's eyes must focus at a close distance quickly when glancing at it. Very distracting, but I don't know what RAM could do to fix this problem.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
It's half-baked for sure. Compared the unit in my wife's Toyota Highlander the adjustability of it is pathetic. The tilt adjustment isn't near enough to get down where it needs to be. I should be able to get it down where I can just see the top of the tailgate and I can't even get close. The execution of this system is very poor.

As for the focus issue, there's nothing that can be done about that-it's a nature of the beast with any of them.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't have experience with these mirrors in other vehicles that I've driven but I've loved mine in my ram. I haven't had any issues with the display or field of view being an issue and have found it much more preferable to the regular mirror (I have never flipped it back to regular mirror). Maybe I don't know what I'm missing compared to other vehicles on the market that have this feature, but it's an option I wouldn't give up on my ram.

I have certainly seen others stating issues with their eyes taking time to gain focus on the mirror, but I haven't had that problem either. Seems like that has to do more with the persons eyes though, as anyone I've had riding with me that is my age or younger (35) with "good" eyes (no glasses/contacts or lasik) also hasn't had any problem with their eyes adjusting to the mirror. The biggest curveball I've gotten with that was my dad who is 74 and has worn glasses his whole life. I fully expected the mirror to bother him but he said even at night it looked good to him and he didn't struggle with it. That certainly shocked me, I fully expected him to not find it usable at all.

Honestly my favorite thing about having it has been for teaching our daughter how to drive. You want to talk about having a great field of vision from the passenger seat versus a conventional mirror. It helps me keep an eye on all of our surroundings without constantly having my neck on a swivel and potentially distracting her, as I watch surroundings of the vehicle constantly whether I'm driving or she is (and am teaching her to do the same of course).

Users who are viewing this thread