5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital mirror upgrade

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 Lonestar with the tech package
I like the fact that you're looking thought the back window but its not at all as clear as a glass mirror, not in all focal ranges. I look in the rear view then look in the side mirrors and its not even a comparison, regular mirrors are far more clear
Could be something wrong with it or the camera, because mine is so clear, it is HDTV quality.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's a big difference.
HAHA, a hair is a big difference? If you look at the second photo where I put them on top of each other, you can see there is very little difference. Definitely, nowhere near a big difference.

6of36

Reaction score
HAHA, a hair is a big difference? If you look at the second photo where I put them on top of each other, you can see there is very little difference.
That's a lot when talking mirrors. When you are talking even 20' back, the difference in field of vision would be about 6'.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's a lot when talking mirrors. When you are talking even 20' back, the difference in field of vision would be about 6'.
Whatever. There is no way that is true. That 1/4-inch extra width isn't giving you 6 feet of better vision.

vincentw56

Reaction score
How are you at geometry? Angles?
Extremely good at them. But go ahead and put together a demonstration showing how that extra 1/4-inch makes a difference in the real world.

6of36

Reaction score
Extremely good at them. But go ahead and put together a demonstration showing how that extra 1/4-inch makes a difference in the real world.
I'm not going to draw you pictures, but imagine doing a ricochet with a pool ball. Of course it's exaggerated, but a pool table is short. Pick a spot to aim for. Hit the ball into the rail, and see how it bounces off. Now move the ball to the side a little, and aim for the same spot. It bounces off at a different angle. The same works with a mirror.

6of36

Reaction score
Either you understand science, or you don't.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm not going to draw you pictures, but imagine doing a ricochet with a pool ball. Of course it's exaggerated, but a pool table is short. Pick a spot to aim for. Hit the ball into the rail, and see how it bounces off. Now move the ball to the side a little, and aim for the same spot. It bounces off at a different angle. The same works with a mirror.
I understand science very well. And I understand your analogy. But again, we are talking about the real world. I mean "man measurements" don't mean anything to a woman and neither does an extra 1/4-inch of mirror width in the real world. But we will have to just be in disagreement until Bill Nye comes along with some grand experiment to prove it matters in the real world while driving a truck down the road for the 1 or 2 second glance in the rear-view mirror. And even backing up, 20 feet doesn't matter because you aren't racing backwards.

6of36

Reaction score
I understand science very well. And I understand your analogy. But again, we are talking about the real world. I mean "man measurements" don't mean anything to a woman and neither does an extra 1/4-inch of mirror width in the real world. But we will have to just be in disagreement until Bill Nye comes along with some grand experiment to prove it matters in the real world while driving a truck down the road for the 1 or 2 second glance in the rear-view mirror. And even backing up, 20 feet doesn't matter because you aren't racing backwards.
I use it for more than backing up. I'm big on mirrors. I would stay away from a vehicle if it didn't meet my standards. I like as big a rear view mirror as possible. Same with trailer mirrors, Ram's suck. Worst in the industry. 2500s are great, they power extend, and don't have the stupid convex part taking up the outside 4".

mtt582

Reaction score
I rarely use my rear view mirror even if it’s a little bigger I feel like a third of what you actually see is just back window trim. Plus I’m looking at a tonneau cover that folds against the back window, blocking vision plus I can switch to the normal mirror and stare at trim if I want. Seems like a win-win. Minus spend 1000+ bucks on it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I rarely use my rear view mirror even if it’s a little bigger I feel like a third of what you actually see is just back window trim. Plus I’m looking at a tonneau cover that folds against the back window, blocking vision plus I can switch to the normal mirror and stare at trim if I want. Seems like a win-win. Minus spend 1000+ bucks on it.
You will NOT be disappointed.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying to see if there's a way to splice into the DRVM signal form the CHMSL and use it for the rear cam on my fitcamx. If so, then you wouldn't have to install the rear camera that I bought with it. It's supposed to be delivered today.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm trying to see if there's a way to splice into the DRVM signal form the CHMSL and use it for the rear cam on my fitcamx. If so, then you wouldn't have to install the rear camera that I bought with it. It's supposed to be delivered today.
No, it wouldn't be possible. The camera is digital. You might be able to split the signal with a Fakra splitter, but I seriously doubt that will work. Your device would need to be able to "speak" the camera's language and I don't think it will. Also, you will introduce a lot of interference on the line which will cause even more issues.

BowDown

Reaction score
Could be something wrong with it or the camera, because mine is so clear, it is HDTV quality.

It was clear for the most part, just not near as clear or sharp as the regular mirror.
I just picked up truck and compared the two back to back, I'm not going to miss that digital mirror.
It does have some great practical uses but I like the regular mirror more, especially the more real representation of how far back other vehicles are relative to me.

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was clear for the most part, just not near as clear or sharp as the regular mirror.
I just picked upy truck and compared the two, I'm not going to miss that digital mirror.
It does have some great practical uses but I like the regular mirror more, especially the more real representation of how far back other vehicles are relative to me.
same - no way am I driving daily using the digital mirror. It's a whole different focus of the eyes anytime I glance in it. If and when I need it glad to have the option.

vincentw56

Reaction score
same - no way am I driving daily using the digital mirror. It's a whole different focus of the eyes anytime I glance in it. If and when I need it glad to have the option.
I had that issue too. What I found was the angle. If I angle down, it works better. If it is off and you have it set so you can see using the normal mirror, it creates a weird reflection. I angled it down and it is so much better.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had that issue too. What I found was the angle. If I angle down, it works better. If it is off and you have it set so you can see using the normal mirror, it creates a weird reflection. I angled it down and it is so much better.
I tried again today and I think it comes down to just more eye strain looking at another digital device. Between my computer all day for work and my phone in between the mirror becomes one more point of strain causing me to have to refocus for a glance. -uuuugh...it is sharp though. I will keep at it on occassion.

Users who are viewing this thread