5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital mirror upgrade

mtt582

Reaction score
Looking to add digital rear view mirror to 2023 ram bighorn. Any suggestions or experiences with different brands?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why not use the factory one? I've created a whole install post on it.

mtt582

Reaction score
Why not use the factory one? I've created a whole install post on it.

Yea I was reading through that earlier. Does the camera mount in the light on the back panel I already have on the truck? Or does it come with a separate light unit that already had the camera in it?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yea I was reading through that earlier. Does the camera mount in the light on the back panel I already have on the truck? Or does it come with a separate light unit that already had the camera in it?
It's all listed in the article. It's a whole new CHMSL.

mtt582

Reaction score
Oh I see why I thought it was different, you buy the chmls and the rear view mirror separate. I thought the entire setup you listed was 573 bucks. But the chmsl is an additional 433. Which is still like 300 bucks cheaper than buying the whole thing together. Preciate the help guys.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it and never use it...kinda freaky on the eyes...although brilliant idea if you ever find yourself blocking view access through the rear window

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have it and never use it...kinda freaky on the eyes...although brilliant idea if you ever find yourself blocking view access through the rear window
Really? It's amazing. One of the best upgrades I've done. I'll admit that it took a few drives to get use to it, but I'll never have another vehicle without it.

BowDown

Reaction score

I agree. I have it on a loaner.
After 3 days with it, I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would or at all.
  1. The objects displayed in the mirror are far closer than they appear
  2. The in-focus range seems to be small
  3. At night, headlights all look like blurry halos
  4. Not as good as an actual glass mirror.
  5. It is a great idea when your rear visibility would be obscured by cargo blocking the rear window

vincentw56

Reaction score
I agree. I have it on a loaner.
After 3 days with it, I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would or at all.
  1. The objects displayed in the mirror are far closer than they appear
  2. The in-focus range seems to be small
  3. At night, headlights all look like blurry halos
  4. Not as good as an actual glass mirror.
  5. It is a great idea when your rear visibility would be obscured by cargo blocking the rear window

What loaner do you have? Because my screen looks way better than the mirror glass. And it is as clear as could be no. No blurry halos at night, no in-focus issues. I mean at night, all you see is headlights in a regular mirror anyway, so both are really pretty useless for detail.

One thing I love is the fact that I am not looking through the rear glass. I don't have to worry about people in the back seats, or anything blocking the rear window. I love the wider view that it provides so I can see more area behind me (even if things are closer than they appear).

6of36

Reaction score
I just wish it was as big as the standard mirror.

BowDown

Reaction score
What loaner do you have? Because my screen looks way better than the mirror glass. And it is as clear as could be no. No blurry halos at night, no in-focus issues. I mean at night, all you see is headlights in a regular mirror anyway, so both are really pretty useless for detail.

One thing I love is the fact that I am not looking through the rear glass. I don't have to worry about people in the back seats, or anything blocking the rear window. I love the wider view that it provides so I can see more area behind me (even if things are closer than they appear).

2022 Ram 1500 Lonestar with the tech package
I like the fact that you're looking thought the back window but its not at all as clear as a glass mirror, not in all focal ranges. I look in the rear view then look in the side mirrors and its not even a comparison, regular mirrors are far more clear

6of36

Reaction score
The display isn't. There's a .25" black boarder all the way around the display
I'm not talking between views on the digital mirror. The standard mirror without the digital is a different assembly, and it was about 2" wider, and it was taller.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm not talking between views on the digital mirror. The standard mirror without the digital is a different assembly, and it was about 2" wider, and it was taller.
No, they are the same size. Here are some pics to confirm it. Digital on top. The digital is just a hair taller, while the standard mirror is just a hair longer.

Attachments

• 20230622_154637.jpg
    20230622_154637.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230622_154704.jpg
    20230622_154704.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread