5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different tire heights front and rear

Betohemi661

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Having an issue where my front brakes are dragging in the front and getting hot would having different height tires front and rear cause this only thing ive done recently is tires

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me like that would cause a problem. 255’s in the front and 285’s in the back? I believe that’s about a 5% difference in rolling distance per revolution. So your front discs are working even harder than they already do.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be inclined to go with what Scram said, the stability and traction control monitors the wheel speed on all 4 corners. So if it thinks the front tires are slipping (spinning faster than the rear) it would apply the brakes to transfer the torque to the rear tires. I would think this would only be true if in 4-Hi or Auto 4x4...but that could be wrong.
I would think driving down the road you would see the stability/traction control light come on and I'm going to guess it might set a CEL also eventually.

Did you monitor the front brake temperature before? These aren't light trucks and it takes a lot to stop them.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it seems obvious that the truck doesn't like this. No observed issues before - then change tires - now hot brakes.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I'm asking; does the rwd model have traction and stability control that monitors all 4 wheels?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Try letting air out of the larger tire to match the rolling diameter of the smaller tire and see if the problem goes away

Betohemi661

Reaction score
only reason i noticed is that the discs are developing light heat spots….asked my tuner jay about it an he says that the front is applying the brakes due to the difference in tire height said I could remove the abs fuse but just went ahead and ordered the same size all around

Users who are viewing this thread