5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different fuel filling problem. Doesn’t get full. 7/8

Scoot332002

Reaction score
I just returned home from a 1000 mile round trip pulling a 6500# trailer. The truck was thirsty but every time I filled up, if I didn’t click the pump 10 or so times after it originally shut off, it would stop at 7/8 of a tank. Never getting full. At 7mpg it would be nice to have a full tank. Any others with the issue?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is the same way. I can never get it to full.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first question that should be asked, is the fuel tank actually full? If it is then a defective fuel gauge sending unit, or the instrument cluster gauge, is likely. There may be a software set point that is not correct, either.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.

Scoot332002

Reaction score
The first question that should be asked, is the fuel tank actually full? If it is then a defective fuel gauge sending unit, or the instrument cluster gauge, is likely. There may be a software set point that is not correct, either.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.
If I pull the lever till it clicks about 10 more times with about 5 seconds between each click, it will eventually get full with an extra gallon or more

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing at most gas pumps. I have one local pump that doesn't do that. It's an older one that doesn't have the newer style nozzles. It's bad enough that I'm stuck with a 23 gallon tank. My range is normally about 340 miles when the tank is full. If I don't fill up at that one gas station my range is just over 300 miles after filling up. I don't like to keep filling because bad things can happen if you over-fill your tank (raw fuel into the evap system). I haven't taken it to my dealership yet because I doubt anything will come of it. I'm looking into adapting a 4th gen filler neck onto my truck. I don't like the capless system anyway, so that would fix two issues. But that will have to wait until the weather gets nicer.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when filling up the first few times. I almost always use the same station, and most of the time even the same pump. There is a very slight grade to the fueling area, and I notice if I pull in so that the nose of the truck is on the "downhill" side, the gauge will read full every time. If I face the other direction, slightly uphill, it never goes above 7/8 on the tank.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when filling up the first few times. I almost always use the same station, and most of the time even the same pump. There is a very slight grade to the fueling area, and I notice if I pull in so that the nose of the truck is on the "downhill" side, the gauge will read full every time. If I face the other direction, slightly uphill, it never goes above 7/8 on the tank.
It's definitely not a gauge issue. What you are describing is valid, in that sloping up or down can affect the gauge reading. But doesn't explain why it isn't showing full when traveling at a constant speed on level ground. Which is what I see. It also wouldn't explain the difference in the DTE showing 40 miles less right after fueling up, with no change in the fuel economy numbers. I didn't have this issue for the first year of ownership of this truck. It's only been in the last 3 or 4 months that it's been happening, and only at gas stations with newer nozzles. There is definitely an issue that's related to the fuel nozzles and our capless filling system.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's definitely not a gauge issue. What you are describing is valid, in that sloping up or down can affect the gauge reading. But doesn't explain why it isn't showing full when traveling at a constant speed on level ground. Which is what I see. It also wouldn't explain the difference in the DTE showing 40 miles less right after fueling up, with no change in the fuel economy numbers. I didn't have this issue for the first year of ownership of this truck. It's only been in the last 3 or 4 months that it's been happening, and only at gas stations with newer nozzles. There is definitely an issue that's related to the fuel nozzles and our capless filling system.

I agree it’s not a gauge issue as well. The best explanation I’ve come up with for my particular situation is that due to the shape of the tank, and depending upon which way I am facing on the incline, it’s just enough to allow air to become trapped towards one end vs being able to vent as it fills the last little bit. The filler is more towards the rear of the tank, which makes sense that when facing up the hill the rear fills to the top first and trips the nozzle off while there is still a small amount of room left for fuel at the front of the tank. If I leave the station and begin driving after filling facing uphill, the gauge reads 7/8, due to the fact that I wasn’t able to actually get the tank full because of the trapped air.

I will note that when I had my bighorn with the 26 gallon tank I never had this issue and used the same pumps and station. It only began when I got the Laramie with the 23 gallon tank. Perhaps the smaller tank contributes by taking less volume change to register a change in the gauge compared to the larger tanks. They did install new pumps at this station, however the nozzles are the same as they had been so I don’t think that’s affecting it for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think your theory has merit in your case. But in my case, I'm always on level ground when fueling. I can't even think of a gas station near me that's on any kind of slope. Not to mention the fact that I never used to have this problem at these very same gas stations that I'm now having issues.

Users who are viewing this thread