5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences in ride quality?

JJSJ

Reaction score
Any fellow New Englanders have opinions on differences in ride quality with 2019 longhorn 1500? 20's with air ride vs. 22's with air ride? Or either without air ride. Asking cold weather folks on this one!!

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
By theory the 22's would ride worse [less sidewall]. I drove both on a limited and could not tell the difference.

JJSJ

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say their air is subpar in the winter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say their air is subpar in the winter.
I’ve seen one or two of our 10,000+ members mention that. Not sure yet if there’s enough info to establish a consensus. Mine rides great in cold weather, but we’re rarely below freezing temps here.

amazing210

Reaction score
Have a Laramie with 22's and no air ride. I have never been in a better riding vehicle and everyone who rides in it says the same thing. I am sure glad I did not spend the extra money on air ride. I live in Chicago.

JJSJ

Reaction score
Have a Laramie with 22's and no air ride. I have never been in a better riding vehicle and everyone who rides in it says the same thing. I am sure glad I did not spend the extra money on air ride. I live in Chicago.
Nice. I'm definitely leaning toward the non air myself. The longhorn I drove without it was also the best riding truck I've ever been in. And I'm coming out of a 2017 Denali with 22's and that god awful magneride suspension. In my opinion, it felt much smoother than the limited with air I also tested. Winters in New Hampshire can be harsh. I just dont want to make the mistake of second guessing myself if that air ride starts acting up. Thanks for the input!

Turin

Reaction score
I’ve seen one or two of our 10,000+ members mention that. Not sure yet if there’s enough info to establish a consensus. Mine rides great in cold weather, but we’re rarely below freezing temps here.
If it's not below freezing it's not really cold, now is it? ;)

When I was doing test drives the temperature was in the range 20 – 25 °F. The trucks with air suspension seemed slightly rougher than the one with coil suspension. (All had 20" tires.) The AS ride wasn't bad, mind you, it just wasn't quite as smooth. I'd characterize the difference as "firm, with good road feel" vs. "smooth, with a slightly floating feel." For the female members of this forum, my wife characterized the difference as "my boobs jiggled" vs. "my boobs didn't jiggle." :p

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Are you in a cold weather climate?
We have had single digit and teens temps here a lot. St. Louis area. No complaints with my truck. I have a bad spine injury and ride comfort is a big deal to me. The main reason i traded my F150 Platinum for my truck. It's not just the air ride but also the seat comfort.

Derlant1983

Reaction score
The main reason i traded my F150 Platinum for my truck. It's not just the air ride but also the seat comfort.
Now imagine those seats without the messaging feature. I was shocked to find out that without that feature i would have to stop every 2 hours to revive feeling to the posterior :cautious:

clotagames

Reaction score
My 19 with air ride is great down to around zero. Had 4 or 5 times this winter where it sat outside all day in below zero weather and it was really stiff for the first 10 miles or so. I did not get the air suspension for just the ride. Got it for the self leveling feature and off road ride height.

Derlant1983

Reaction score
Here is a reason to not get the 22 option. Unless of course your state actually paves it’s roads. Here in the mitten state we have the lunar experience. Never had this happen in any of my other trucks with those tiny 20 inch wheels

Attachments

• 9B9B5326-9FB8-4D89-ADD3-4375355C8F4B.jpeg
    9B9B5326-9FB8-4D89-ADD3-4375355C8F4B.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 2CCB26BC-5262-45F0-8F0E-5E1847F24197.jpeg
    2CCB26BC-5262-45F0-8F0E-5E1847F24197.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 71

RAM309702

Reaction score
I had my limited with 22" parked next to my friends with 22" non air ride.. after seeing how much higher mine sits up (just in normal mode) and driving my limited, he now wishes he got the air suspension.

Reaction score
Before buying I noticed quite a difference in ride between similar models. Best ride was on a big horn long bed with 18" wheels and coil springs. My Laramie with air and 20s is pretty stiff, but softens considerably with more payload. I just got back from a 1300 mile road trip pulling a 3 ton trailer, and the ride was amazingly good, yet stable also. If you aren't towing I'd suggest skipping the 4 corner, as the coil spring set up is really good.

awaywego

Reaction score
Nice. I'm definitely leaning toward the non air myself. The longhorn I drove without it was also the best riding truck I've ever been in. And I'm coming out of a 2017 Denali with 22's and that god awful magneride suspension. In my opinion, it felt much smoother than the limited with air I also tested. Winters in New Hampshire can be harsh. I just dont want to make the mistake of second guessing myself if that air ride starts acting up. Thanks for the input!
I just test drove a brand new Longhorn with non-air and 22" on a very rough NH paved road and washboard dirt and then did same drive in a brand new Limited with air and 20". I thought the non air on 22" rode with less body roll and bumpiness. But talking with teh sales guy afterwards, I wasn't sure if I had mistakenly hit the air switch (I was playing around with it up/down/up/down) and put the truck up high (...like Off Road 2 mode....more body roll?) during my test.

Awaywego!

Users who are viewing this thread