5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between the Ram Models

Goldsy

Reaction score
You can add them all. I've done it on by BH.
Yup, you can add just about all the limited features to the BH. There are just a couple of small things that are unique to the Limited. Directional bi-led headlights, ventilated rear seats, adjustable pedals, trailer blind spot monitoring, and the digital camera rear view mirror as a few examples. By the time you add just about every Limited feature to a BH, you’re pretty much in the same price range anyway.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, you can add just about all the limited features to the BH. There are just a couple of small things that are unique to the Limited. Directional bi-led headlights, ventilated rear seats, adjustable pedals, trailer blind spot monitoring, and the digital camera rear view mirror as a few examples. By the time you add just about every Limited feature to a BH, you’re pretty much in the same price range anyway.
Yes, except I'm not paying over years for it and I can add just the ones I want.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Yes, except I'm not paying over years for it and I can add just the ones I want.
Yep, add what you want. I personally like all the tech. I’m a nerd like that. If I know the option is available, I want it! I tend to keep vehicles for five years, so I will always have a vehicle payment, but my trade ins every 5 years are still worth enough that I can buy a limited and have a bighorn payment. 0% financing seems to be a lot more common in Canada than the USA as well, which helps.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My 2021 BH has the adjustable pedals - I think it's part of the Lvl 2 Equipment Group?

Goldsy

Reaction score
My 2021 BH has the adjustable pedals - I think it's part of the Lvl 2 Equipment Group?

perhaps. There isn’t an exclusive list out there as to what is available on the limited only, like there was in 2019. There obviously were a few more things that became available on more trim levels over the past two years. Like the pedals you mention.

Big Tup

Reaction score
Part of the issue might be terminology....they are different TRIM levels of the same MODEL (RAM 1500 DT). That being said, no different than GM or Ford....RAM offers many different trim levels to satisfy different buyer's tastes/needs/wants and price points. As others have pointed out and I'm firmly in this camp-buy the nicest trim level/features you can afford or you'll have buyer's remorse. OR, if you don't want "issues" due to bells and whistles, then just buy a simpler truck that contains the "must-haves". There is NO RIGHT OR WRONG trim level to pick-it's YOUR MONEY buying it. I'd say 70% of the features/options are either standard or available on almost every trim level somehow, but the interior colors and colors and/or exterior garnishes/colors/features may differ some.

The entire reason there are SO MANY different trim levels is the pickup market in North America is the most competitive segment on the planet for sales. Stellantis, Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan and others want as much of that pie as absolutely possible and so they offer as many different options as reasonably possible to satiate those tastes.

Please feel free to ask more questions. You're among friends on this site-mountains of knowledge and experience is at your disposal.
Thank you so much for your reply. I understand what you are saying, however the "line up" (call it trim, call it models, call it whatever) is confusing for a non-Ram / layman to understand. How can one succinctly (succinctly is the operative word) tell another person the general differences between a Big Horn, Laramie, Limited, and Limited Long Horn, especially since each of the four can be optioned similarly? I purchased my Ram and I am the type of person that goes "all in" during the research stage. I got to know every little nuance between the different 1500's; likley more than most others. Despite all of that, it is still difficult for me to advice a potential Ram purchaser (my brother in this case) as to which 1500 would be right for him.

Big Tup

Reaction score
That's easy. SLE - BH, SLT - Laramie, Denali - Limited
Great answer and this is what I am trying to look for. However, take for example the SLT=Laramie....if you go online and configure a Laramie, you can pretty much configure it to be almost exactly like a Limited (save for the power steps vs fixed)...that's where a non-ram person begins to get confused.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Great answer and this is what I am trying to look for. However, take for example the SLT=Laramie....if you go online and configure a Laramie, you can pretty much configure it to be almost exactly like a Limited (save for the power steps vs fixed)...that's where a non-ram person begins to get confused.
It's not meant to be confusing. It literally has more to do with the desired appearance than features at that point. Yes they can be optioned nearly identical. But whereas the Longhorn is the "cowboy" aesthetic with a couple choices of all brown or mixed brown interior with barnwood, the Limited has a couple different choices of "elegant monotone" all-black interior or two-tone Indigo/light color. The wood accents are more like a pin-stripe dress shirt. On the exterior of the trucks the differences are also strictly aesthetic with basically grill insert and wheel appearance differing slightly.

This isn't meant to be confusing, but I agree it can be a bit overwhelming. The exact same can be said for Ford, the GM twins, and Toyota as they also have a LOT of different trim levels.

As you move up through the trims (Tradesman through Limited) some of the available options/features differ but there is a huge amount of overlap too. Most of it is how the interior and exterior is appointed either for intended usage and/or price.

Working the "problem" backwards I guess you take your budget first, then the aesthetic/appearance basis you desire, then put the options you want on it. For me personally I've wanted the Longhorn type appearance with brown/black two tone interior. But I really like the Indigo blue/Grey interior of the Limited and a couple other details such as the grille appearance and even the colors in the gauge cluster swayed me to the Limited. Bonus was with the OPTIONS I wanted it also was CHEAPER too.

I hope this helps.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO, A well optioned Big Horn is pretty much the best bang for your buck. You get close to Laramie options minus a couple luxuries (leather, auto high beams, cooled seats, rain sensitive wipers.) but for a lot less $$$.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone come across an "easy to understand" differences between the Ram 1500 models? For example, what are the virtues of the Big Horn vs Laramie vs Limited vs Limited Longhorn that would make a person choose one model over the other. Yes, I have done a ton of research. I have seen the "model compare" on the Ram website, read the excruciating detail from the brochure, went thru the exercise of "build your ram" on the Ram website, but in the end, there really doesn't seem to be a simply stated categorization what what separates these trucks that you can tell to a prospective Ram buyer who has no familiarity with Ram, so that person would know what model they focus on, if they were going to purchase. From what I surmised it seems to be something like this: They are can be basically configured with similar features (ie. 5.7 w/eTorque, air suspension, surround cam, etc). Some models come standard with features where others you would have to add as an option. The big differences are pretty much "the look of the grill/front end and headlights, available color options of exterior/interior, and what features are standard in one model that have to be an optional add-on in the other. That is an easier conversation if you were discussion "trim lines" of a Chevy, Ford, or Toyota, but not so easy with the many 1500 "models" of Ram. So, if you are sitting around the bar discussion with your buddies the virtues of the Ram and someone asks "what's the real difference between the Big Horn, Laramie, Limited and Limited Longhorn" how do you succinctly answer that?
Essentially, what I have come down to has been a process of elimination. I have a list of things I "must have." I tow a 6700 lb travel trailer (28 feet).

As a result, the Tradesman is out as being too basic for my "wants/needs." The Limited is way too much for mostly a bunch of bells and whistles and chrome with a reduction in payload as a result. That basically leaves the Bighorn and the Laramie. I then figured out what I don't want or can live without. I can live without a sunroof, for example. I NEED the 5.7 Hemi, tow package, and LED light package or at least headlights, 8.4 screen, limited slip (unless getting off road package as a "want.") and have to have all the guage readings for the engine. I used to say that a 3.92, but I settled on a 3.21 after researching hard and assessing my tow rig etc., tow mirrors are a must for me. I also MUST have a sprayed in bedliner but realize I can get one after market also. So, all the tail gate, bed items like, Rambox, utility packages are unnecessary...but nice... I can get a tonneau aftermarket...

The differences between the "core" packages on the Bighorn and Laramie are oriented around the two basic packages on each. Level 1 on the Bighorn gives you the basic 3.5 tft (instrument panel) that has everything I "need", but not as easily viewed as the 7 inch tft. I can live with that. I also get the power driver seat. I also WANT/Need the console vs the "bench" seats (personal preference). The level 2 gives you heated seats and wheel, the 7 inch TFT and a few other things. The Laramie pretty much automatically gives you everything in a level 2 Bighorn as part of level 1 Laramie and the LED lights. Level 2 Laramie gives you more bells and whistles, some chrome and adds things like power passenger seat power mirrors, blah blah. I end up, in the end of my process of elimination NEEDING, a level 1 Bighorn up through a level 1 Laramie with towing package, tow mirrors, 3.92 rear end, 5.7 Hemi. I would prefer a Level 2 Bighorn to Level 1 Laramie but am OK with Level 1 Bighorn IF it has some other things. I also weigh what I can get after market vs OEM. I wouldn't make color a NEED or you will never get the truck you want... Hope you get lucky or have four colors you can live with/want.

Best is to order or get lucky and find one with everything you want/need on the lot. Good luck on either now days... Choices are getting slim and none for on the lot choices and they are usually gone in days or not even there yet in transit. Ordering means you won't see your truck for months AND there is a good chance they will delete something chip based before you get it and give you an 85 buck credit... So, you have to weigh your NEEDS and wants right now or you are rich and can travel and don't care....

So, when my 2015 Outdoorsman gave me fits on a 2500 mile trip, I came back and sitting on the lot was a 2021 Built to serve with everything I NEEDED, including tow package, not everything I wanted but some "wants" in there like the off road package, a sort of black out package (BTS), LED lights, and a nice color (billet silver). AND, they offered me 6K more for the troubled 2015 than they offered 15 months earlier...offsetting the lack of incentives.

I had to give up the 7 inch tft and settled for the 3.21 (after a LOT of research) BUT got the off road package (big WANT) but had to give up the limited slip, BUT got the 4WD auto to compensate. In addition, something I did not want was the Ramboxes and bed utility package (came with the sprayed in bedliner (NEED) AND the barn door tailgate. I was ambivalent about all that to be honest. But, after a couple of months, I'm finding the Ramboxes AND the barn door tailgate are BIG pluses for me personally. for others they could be deal breakers.

So, that's how I go about it. Pretty much a Tradesman will go down the road and tow what you want within 1500 parameters. Then, it becomes a progressive bells and whistles level of increase tied to trim levels and dollar bills. Like I did, put down your list of NEEDS, Wants and don't wants and put them into a search engine like Cargurus or Autotrader and you will see what they cost across the country and your area. Ask yourself are you willing to travel to get what you "want" and how far. And then start watching like a hawk within your "area." OR, order one, cross your fingers and wait...and wait...

Last edited:

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ great post and spot on!

I just got lucky with mine. 2019 Bighorn level 2 with everything I needed plus everything I wanted. exactly the color I wanted too. Sitting on a lot Oct 2019 and the price was right too. ($38700). I can live without a couple things that woulda been nice (rain sensitive wipers and proximity entry.) Overall though, I feel like I got the most bang for the buck.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
You're saying RAM is more confusing than Chevy or Ford? Have you looked at their build pages? I had to zoom out to 33% just to be able to almost see them all. Bottom line, just like with ANY vehicle make/model, higher trims will have more standard features with select options that set them apart.
View attachment 106181
To be fair - it only looks like a lot because you're picking your trim and engine on the same step where the Ram builder puts those on different pages.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply. I understand what you are saying, however the "line up" (call it trim, call it models, call it whatever) is confusing for a non-Ram / layman to understand. How can one succinctly (succinctly is the operative word) tell another person the general differences between a Big Horn, Laramie, Limited, and Limited Long Horn, especially since each of the four can be optioned similarly? I purchased my Ram and I am the type of person that goes "all in" during the research stage. I got to know every little nuance between the different 1500's; likley more than most others. Despite all of that, it is still difficult for me to advice a potential Ram purchaser (my brother in this case) as to which 1500 would be right for him.

It’s no different than gm. You could order your lt with a lot of ltz options. There were several packages of the lt trim

And the ltz could have most of the options of the high country. And there were several different packages of the ltz and so on. Then there were different engines and transmissions depending on which trim you bought.

When shopping for a truck, view each trucks window sticker and it will tell you what option package the truck comes with, same as gm. Pay close attention to the gear ratios.

But The classifications of the trucks pretty much just tell you the standard options that come with each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread