5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between the Ram Models

Big Tup

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone come across an "easy to understand" differences between the Ram 1500 models? For example, what are the virtues of the Big Horn vs Laramie vs Limited vs Limited Longhorn that would make a person choose one model over the other. Yes, I have done a ton of research. I have seen the "model compare" on the Ram website, read the excruciating detail from the brochure, went thru the exercise of "build your ram" on the Ram website, but in the end, there really doesn't seem to be a simply stated categorization what what separates these trucks that you can tell to a prospective Ram buyer who has no familiarity with Ram, so that person would know what model they focus on, if they were going to purchase. From what I surmised it seems to be something like this: They are can be basically configured with similar features (ie. 5.7 w/eTorque, air suspension, surround cam, etc). Some models come standard with features where others you would have to add as an option. The big differences are pretty much "the look of the grill/front end and headlights, available color options of exterior/interior, and what features are standard in one model that have to be an optional add-on in the other. That is an easier conversation if you were discussion "trim lines" of a Chevy, Ford, or Toyota, but not so easy with the many 1500 "models" of Ram. So, if you are sitting around the bar discussion with your buddies the virtues of the Ram and someone asks "what's the real difference between the Big Horn, Laramie, Limited and Limited Longhorn" how do you succinctly answer that?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone come across an "easy to understand" differences between the Ram 1500 models? For example, what are the virtues of the Big Horn vs Laramie vs Limited vs Limited Longhorn that would make a person choose one model over the other. Yes, I have done a ton of research. I have seen the "model compare" on the Ram website, read the excruciating detail from the brochure, went thru the exercise of "build your ram" on the Ram website, but in the end, there really doesn't seem to be a simply stated categorization what what separates these trucks that you can tell to a prospective Ram buyer who has no familiarity with Ram, so that person would know what model they focus on, if they were going to purchase. From what I surmised it seems to be something like this: They are can be basically configured with similar features (ie. 5.7 w/eTorque, air suspension, surround cam, etc). Some models come standard with features where others you would have to add as an option. The big differences are pretty much "the look of the grill/front end and headlights, available color options of exterior/interior, and what features are standard in one model that have to be an optional add-on in the other. That is an easier conversation if you were discussion "trim lines" of a Chevy, Ford, or Toyota, but not so easy with the many 1500 "models" of Ram. So, if you are sitting around the bar discussion with your buddies the virtues of the Ram and someone asks "what's the real difference between the Big Horn, Laramie, Limited and Limited Longhorn" how do you succinctly answer that?
that is all there is as far as I have been able to find out other then a way to have different prices

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like you already figured it out.

mtnrider

Reaction score
...... From what I surmised it seems to be something like this: They are can be basically configured with similar features (ie. 5.7 w/eTorque, air suspension, surround cam, etc). Some models come standard with features where others you would have to add as an option.

The upper trims can be optioned very similar to each other but the caviat is you cannot add certain features to the lower trims. Like heated/cooled seats in a tradesman would be an example.
Also there will be interior and accent upgrades as you go up in trim that are not "options" that you can add to lower trims.

Big Tup

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses....but it is still difficult to discern what market is the Big Horn target towards vs Laramie vs Limited vs Limited Longhorn. Put an additional way, if someone were looking at a GMC Sierra SLE, SLT, or Denali which Ram model would they be looking at when cross-shopping a Ram?

BigD

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses....but it is still difficult to discern what market is the Big Horn target towards vs Laramie vs Limited vs Limited Longhorn. Put an additional way, if someone were looking at a GMC Sierra SLE, SLT, or Denali which Ram model would they be looking at when cross-shopping a Ram?
That's easy. SLE - BH, SLT - Laramie, Denali - Limited

yellowboy

Reaction score
Get the most expensive , most optioned truck you can afford. You'll start reading about options you didn't get on here and it will lead to buyer remourse (tons of it on here) and threads ----- "can I add this or that to my stripped model....." and the answer is usually no or at a ridiculous cost. Plus it's not the same as when done by the factory. Save a nickle now, spend a dollar later with allot of aggravation. The more you get and pay for now the more you will resell for later.

BigD

Reaction score
Bottom line is u can get a BH that's darn near a Laramie minus the leather, & u can get a Laramie that's darn near a Limited depending on what options you choose. There are literally hundreds of different configurations & options on these trucks nowadays. It's kind of like choosing a health insurance plan !! 😉

BigD

Reaction score
Get the most expensive , most optioned truck you can afford. You'll start reading about options you didn't get on here and it will lead to buyer remourse (tons of it on here) and threads ----- "can I add this or that to my stripped model....." and the answer is usually no or at a ridiculous cost. Plus it's not the same as when done by the factory. Save a nickle now, spend a dollar later with allot of aggravation. The more you get and pay for now the more you will resell for later.
I disagree. More options = more problems. I perfectly happy 1 1/2 yrs later with my well equipped BH. I honestly wouldn't want a Limited. So much useless crap on them. Just like I'd never buy an iPhone when I can get a phone for $150 that does pretty much all the same stuff. Just my 2 cents.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really comes down to what are your must haves. That should at least point you to the right trim level. Like previous post, the configuration is almost endless, so that makes it harder.

Trims goes as follows from cheapest to most expensive ( folks you can correct me if I’m wrong)

Tradesman
Bighorn
Laramie
Rebel
Limited

Trx is a different animal all together

The most popular trim is the big horn. You can pretty much get almost all options you want. The more options you pick, you might be able to find it as standard in the next higher trim.

For example, most folks here must have is LED headlights. The base Laramie trim and higher have those led headlights as standard, but it is an option on the big horn.

I start with your must haves then go from there.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Goldsy

Reaction score
Yes to a point. I sprung for the Limited. The downside to that is, I only have 1190lbs payload capacity. That's fine for me, as my Camper is only 5500lbs with a 700lb tongue weight. Add 2 people and my dog and I'm at the limit, or very close to it. That won't work for a lot of people. If you need more payload, you need to drop down to the Bighon and remove some options, or you could get by with a Laramie without the Ramboxes and panoramic roof, ventilated rear seats, etc as those are pretty heavy options.

Goldsy

Reaction score
. I honestly wouldn't want a Limited. So much useless crap on them.
You do you. What's useless to you is not useless to others. I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of unnecessary features in the Limited, but I use A LOT of those creature comfort features on a daily basis now. Could I have survived without them? Absolutely. But I'd miss them if I didn't have them now.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do you. What's useless to you is not useless to others. I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of unnecessary features in the Limited, but I use A LOT of those creature comfort features on a daily basis now. Could I have survived without them? Absolutely. But I'd miss them if I didn't have them now.
yup.....just like 800hp in a Demon is pretty useless...but sure is nice to have it!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. More options = more problems. I perfectly happy 1 1/2 yrs later with my well equipped BH. I honestly wouldn't want a Limited. So much useless crap on them. Just like I'd never buy an iPhone when I can get a phone for $150 that does pretty much all the same stuff. Just my 2 cents.
On the other side of the argument, I have a well optioned laramie and want the limited for the zebra wood. The cost to replace just the trim pieces with zebra wood is more than if I just paid the extra for a limited.
Plus I like the limited front grill and headlights a lot more, but I’m never going to swap out all those parts.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny... My decision for the Laramie was made because my wife demanded that whatever I get, that the passenger seat have just as many adjustments as the driver seat. From what I could figure out on the website, that pushed me to the Laramie. It's great to have options, so we can all pick what we deem important. But some of the combinations are frustrating to figure out.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Hi,
Part of the issue might be terminology....they are different TRIM levels of the same MODEL (RAM 1500 DT). That being said, no different than GM or Ford....RAM offers many different trim levels to satisfy different buyer's tastes/needs/wants and price points. As others have pointed out and I'm firmly in this camp-buy the nicest trim level/features you can afford or you'll have buyer's remorse. OR, if you don't want "issues" due to bells and whistles, then just buy a simpler truck that contains the "must-haves". There is NO RIGHT OR WRONG trim level to pick-it's YOUR MONEY buying it. I'd say 70% of the features/options are either standard or available on almost every trim level somehow, but the interior colors and colors and/or exterior garnishes/colors/features may differ some.

The entire reason there are SO MANY different trim levels is the pickup market in North America is the most competitive segment on the planet for sales. Stellantis, Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan and others want as much of that pie as absolutely possible and so they offer as many different options as reasonably possible to satiate those tastes.

Please feel free to ask more questions. You're among friends on this site-mountains of knowledge and experience is at your disposal.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my case I basically dove into it blind. All I wanted was the 12" Uconnect screen. I searched all the local dealers' websites and found the one that I liked. Contacted the dealer, made an appointment, and bought it. I had no idea about the differences between the trims, until I got on this forum.
I don't have buyers remorse, but these are the things I'm glad I got and didn't know about:
  • Night Edition-didn't know this was an option. I just liked the pictures on the dealer's website.
  • 33 gallon tank-found out about this on my first fill up :ROFLMAO: I'm glad I can drive over 550miles between fill ups.
  • BUG and Level B equip
  • Power running board-found this out when I got to the dealership.
  • Passive entry
I would have probably ended up with a Big Horn, if any dealers around here had one with the 12" Uconnect. I keep all my vehicles. I usually get a new one every 10 years. I'm still driving my 2001 Eclipse to work everyday. My wife drives the 2012 Pathfinder.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're saying RAM is more confusing than Chevy or Ford? Have you looked at their build pages? I had to zoom out to 33% just to be able to almost see them all. Bottom line, just like with ANY vehicle make/model, higher trims will have more standard features with select options that set them apart.
1632413209114.png

21RamBigHornBlk

Reaction score
This is so spot on! I came from a 2018 Limited to my 21 Big Horn Night...love my new truck but I can tell you what I miss the absolute most about the limited are the things people probably think are useless.. Rain sensing wipers, auto hi low bean, auto unlock when you touch the door...I can't tell you how many times I gripe about not having those features. I miss them more than the leather, more than then cooling seats.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is so spot on! I came from a 2018 Limited to my 21 Big Horn Night...love my new truck but I can tell you what I miss the absolute most about the limited are the things people probably think are useless.. Rain sensing wipers, auto hi low bean, auto unlock when you touch the door...I can't tell you how many times I gripe about not having those features. I miss them more than the leather, more than then cooling seats.
You can add them all. I've done it on by BH.

Users who are viewing this thread