5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between Retrax, GatorTrax, and Radco covers?

RC Turner

Reaction score
I have a gator and it installs on top of the box rails and not inside. To me it is a better setup as it does not take any interior space.

Olbez

Reaction score
I have a gator and it installs on top of the box rails and not inside. To me it is a better setup as it does not take any interior space.
Could you share a photo? I didn’t realize they had differences between those covers at all.

Paco

Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure doesnt seem like a good product for our trucks???
That is for a Tundra, did you have a question about the cover?
I have a Gatortrax MX (aluminum version) which is the same as the Retrax MX.
Anyone looking to get one of these should get it through @Realtruck here as they give way better pricing, and they actually are the manufacturer also so you're not going to get the run around like if you got it from Amazon.

Looks like the Radco might be a knockoff or vice versa, or just look similar.
On their website they also don't offer a version for the Ramboxes, only regular bed.

Paco

Reaction score
Did not notice it was for a Tundra.
But that should have nothing to do with lack of customer support.??
Either you stand behind your product or you dont.???
My 2 cents.
Im still looking for a cover.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did not notice it was for a Tundra.
But that should have nothing to do with lack of customer support.??
Either you stand behind your product or you dont.???
My 2 cents.
Im still looking for a cover.
I had no problem when I needed support for mine.
One of the rails wasn't even fully painted. They send me an entire new set of rails as it quicker then going through the RMA process.

Lots of manufactures get weird when you tell them you bought it through Amazon.
If you have a Western Digital hard drive in your HP computer and call Western Digital when it dies they are going to tell you to talk to who HP not them.
Amazon is the same for lots of items too, good luck getting warranty claim for a Milwaukee tool sold new from Amazon, aint going to happen and they will deny your claim even if it's within 1 week of getting the new tool sold by Amazon.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One thing that may not matter to you but did to me; retrax is one of the few bed covers that work with something like the yakima rack system in the bed.

RC Turner

Reaction score
Could you share a photo? I didn’t realize they had differences between those covers at all.
Go to the REALTRUCK website and look at the Gator SR1 cover. Pretty good pictures showing the way it mounts and the difference in the clamps. I am very happy with mine after 2 1/2 years. Still looks new.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I would also look at RollnLoc, I have had 3 retrax pro's. Loved the first 2 and had a lot of problems with the last one leaking between the slats. I purchased directly from Retrax and they said there was nothing they could do.
I tried rollnloc and really like it. Pretty much water tight, canister takes up less space than the retrax. I moved my RollnLoc from my 2021 to my 2023 Ram and needed a few parts. They shipped everything out no charge.
Tom

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that may not matter to you but did to me; retrax is one of the few bed covers that work with something like the yakima rack system in the bed.
Yep, my advice is if you’re getting a retractable cover, get one with t-tracks. For the Retrax, this is the XR instead of MX. It’s not much more, and those tracks are great.

I’ve had two RetraxPro covers, and they’ve served me well. But if I were buying today, I’d take a look at the EGR Rolltrac. It’s now available as a manual as well as powered cover. Price is competitive with the RetraxPro XR. (But it’s only for the 5’7” bed, so wouldn’t work for me anyway).

StickVA

Reaction score
For what is worth, I put on the PowerTrax MX Pro and so far its working great. It did take some time/patience to get it installed so that everything cleared and I had to make a few minor adjustments around the tailgate. I no leaks so far. I haven't had it on that long but again so far so good.

StickVA

Reaction score
Yep, my advice is if you’re getting a retractable cover, get one with t-tracks. For the Retrax, this is the XR instead of MX. It’s not much more, and those tracks are great.

I’ve had two RetraxPro covers, and they’ve served me well. But if I were buying today, I’d take a look at the EGR Rolltrac. It’s now available as a manual as well as powered cover. Price is competitive with the RetraxPro XR. (But it’s only for the 5’7” bed, so wouldn’t work for me anyway).
The EGR cover looks very nice but I don't think they offer it for a bed with the RamBox yet.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would also look at RollnLoc, I have had 3 retrax pro's. Loved the first 2 and had a lot of problems with the last one leaking between the slats. I purchased directly from Retrax and they said there was nothing they could do.
Mine leaks water between a few of the slats, very little but annoying.
Also down the sides sometimes.

I will not be buying another Retrax or even a retractable cover for that matter in the future. Going to go back to an MX4, never a single leak from it water tight, half the price of a retractable also.

StickVA

Reaction score
Mine leaks water between a few of the slats, very little but annoying.
Also down the sides sometimes.

I will not be buying another Retrax or even a retractable cover for that matter in the future. Going to go back to an MX4, never a single leak from it water tight, half the price of a retractable also.
Agree...the non-retractable are superior. I have one on my 08 that I preferred but I put a 6" lift on this truck and the misses can't reach to open it so I went with the power version. It was a good compromise for my situation.

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I cant speak on Radco
But GatorTrax is our private label version of the Retrax, it is made in the same facility but the Retrax will have the superior warranty

Users who are viewing this thread