5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference in gas mileage between the 3.21 and 3.92?

RAL

Reaction score
3.92, 5.7 etorque with the 33 gallon tank: I get about 16.5 driving around town. I drive with a light foot and drive like the 50 year old I am! On the highway, it really depends on average speed. If it is a slower local highway, it will see 21-22mpg at 50-60mph. If the average speeds are higher, say 70-75mph, it will drop to 19.5mpg or so. Loaded with a trailer (5-6k pounds), depends entirely on terrain but will see high single digits to low teens. I always use tow/haul so the transmission will stay in a lower gear but the truck hauls beautifully.

Personally, I would not spec the half ton Ram without the higher numerical differential because otherwise, for me at least, it undermines the utility of owning a full size truck. If I wanted to get by with 5-6k pounds useful towing capacity, I would also check out a smaller truck like a Tacoma or a Ridgeline. But if you are not towing, and just need the bed offered by a full size truck, the lower numerical differential will give you a nice bump in fuel economy. Different tools for different jobs, but they all work well.

Users who are viewing this thread