5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between Tow mirrors and standard mirrors on 2020 Laramie?

StaceyR

Reaction score
I'm finalizing a Laramie (Level 1 Equip) factory order and although I do tow a travel trailer I'm not sure I want to give up the power folding feature if I opt for the tow mirrors. What other features would I lose? I've been satisfied with the snap on mirror extensions on my current F-150 and I see they are available for the standard Ram mirrors as well. Are the Ram tow mirrors worth giving up these features?

Also...do the standard power folding mirrors retract automatically when locking the truck? I really like this feature on my Tesla.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Non Tow mirrors still extend out pretty far much more so then the standard Ford mirrors. You may find you don't need to clip on mirrors. That said with the tow mirrors you lose the power fold option and the surround view camera option although I don't think that is available on a level 1 Laramie anyway. Unfortunately the power fold mirrors do not automatically retract when locking the truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The Non Tow mirrors still extend out pretty far much more so then the standard Ford mirrors. You may find you don't need to clip on mirrors. That said with the tow mirrors you lose the power fold option and the surround view camera option although I don't think that is available on a level 1 Laramie anyway. Unfortunately the power fold mirrors do not automatically retract when locking the truck.
^^^ This ^^^

How big do you tow? You may be able to get away with the regular mirrors if you are not towing that much or that big. For me, the surround view is essential, with power folding a close second.
Lots of people here that wanted those features and had to spend thousands to add them after the fact...

I still cannot believe how boneheaded it was for FCA to have removed those features from TT mirrors, specially considering that their 2500/3500s have these features on their 4.5 Gen trucks that came out last year.

A head scratcher for sure.

Neurobit

Last edited:

69385vette

Reaction score
I wanted the surround view and folding mirrors. I found the non-tow mirrors acceptable towing a 20' car hauler. They work well in conjunction with the Blind Spot extended feature for trailer towing.

StaceyR

Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^

How big do you tow? You may be able to get away with the regular mirrors if you are not towing that much or that big. For me the, the surround view is essential, with power folding a close second.
Lots of people here that wanted those features and had to spend thousands to add them after the fact...

I still cannot believe how boneheaded it was for FCA to have removed those features from TT mirrors, specially considering that their 2500/3500s have this features on their 4.5 Gen trucks that came out last year.

A head scratcher for sure.

Neurobit
I tow an 8' wide travel trailer, 24' in length. My Ford's aftermarket mirror extensions are just wide enough for a straight back rear view. No Surround View option for me, although the Blind Spot sensors should prove helpful. My 9 year old Ford didn't even come with a backup camera, much less the Surround View or Blind Spot assists. Bummed that the Ram's power mirrors can't be programmed to automatically fold and extend. I'd rather have that than seat and mirror memory.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Tazer DT will give you the programmable option to fold the mirrors when you turn off the truck and then extend them when you start it automatically and with it's other features it is a great add on mod. I tow a few trailers but my 8'6" wide boat that is 31' long and 12'1" tall on the trailer is the only essential need for the add on mirror extensions and they also fold in fine when I have them clipped on.

derp

Reaction score
I tow an 8' wide travel trailer, 24' in length. My Ford's aftermarket mirror extensions are just wide enough for a straight back rear view. No Surround View option for me, although the Blind Spot sensors should prove helpful. My 9 year old Ford didn't even come with a backup camera, much less the Surround View or Blind Spot assists. Bummed that the Ram's power mirrors can't be programmed to automatically fold and extend. I'd rather have that than seat and mirror memory.
Oh, they can be, just not by FCA.

a little bit of money gets you all kind of extra bells and bobs in the aftermarket.

Zautomotive TaserDT will enable ignition triggered auto folding mirrors amongst other things that you may care about, like cargo cam that you can extend back to the end of your camper.

270wsmhunter

Reaction score
I wanted tow mirrors when purchasing our '19 Ram but was having a hard time finding one with the items I wanted in a 6'4" bed length. I sacrificed my tow mirrors and thought it would be the end of the world but when I pulled our 7'x14' enclosed trailer was extremely pleased with the coverage the mirrors provided, they aren't even comparable to my daughter's 2016 Silverado standard mirrors for towing. I'd put them up against my towing mirrors I had on my last pickup, 2017 Silverado 3500HD crew cab, for towing less than a 30' trailer. That being said, if I were ordering a new pickup I would order the towing mirror as we do tow longer trailers once in awhile.

zlman

Reaction score
I see this topic often, but for the life of me I can't find pictures online of what the trailer tow mirrors look like, can someone post a pic of theirs, front and back sides.
I guess I have standard mirrors because they fold??

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I just saw your post- you may no longer be curious, but for anyone searching.....

Attachments

• 9D87C65A-486E-46F4-99EB-F08CE2077357.jpeg
    9D87C65A-486E-46F4-99EB-F08CE2077357.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 74
  • B695AA9D-194D-4587-B63E-CDF6C2241897.jpeg
    B695AA9D-194D-4587-B63E-CDF6C2241897.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 74

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I just saw your post- you may no longer be curious, but for anyone searching.....

Yep Clayinfla.......I ordered my 2020 Laramie 2500 with the towing and 5th wheel/goosenect prep and the chrome power/folding mirrors. When it arrived I saw that the mirrors did not extend for towing like the ones on my GMC and I was disappointed. Then I actually read the manual and saw that those mirrors flip up vertical with a slight push up on the inside edge and make pretty decent towing mirrors.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
Yep Clayinfla.......I ordered my 2020 Laramie 2500 with the towing and 5th wheel/goosenect prep and the chrome power/folding mirrors. When it arrived I saw that the mirrors did not extend for towing like the ones on my GMC and I was disappointed. Then I actually read the manual and saw that those mirrors flip up vertical with a slight push up on the inside edge and make pretty decent towing mirrors.
I sure wish they power folded. Mine fits in the garage, but I have to reach out and fold in the driver side mirror first. Seems like a dumb place to cut corners.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I sure wish they power folded. Mine fits in the garage, but I have to reach out and fold in the driver side mirror first. Seems like a dumb place to cut corners.
I'm glad mine power folds and both the standard mirror and the little convex mirror are separately power adjustable. On my Chevy the convex mirror was manually adjustable and it was a pain to jump out and run around to the passenger side and then get back in to see if it was where you wanted it.

Hairy

Reaction score
I am ordering a 2020 Laramie from my dealer I do not want tow mirrors, are standard mirrors what you get if not ordering tow mirrors? Sales said tow were standard???

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am ordering a 2020 Laramie from my dealer I do not want tow mirrors, are standard mirrors what you get if not ordering tow mirrors? Sales said tow were standard???
Tow mirrors are part of the trailer tow package, and are not standard. As long as you don't select that option you will not have tow mirrors.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not std. Never believe a car/truck salesman...

Users who are viewing this thread