5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between Steering Gear and Front Suspension Skid-plates?

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
I looked at the ORP package details online, and they list a Steering Gear Skid-plate and a Front Suspension Skid-plate. I searched online for the specific parts, and I only found the Front Suspension skid-plate. What exactly is the Steering Gear Skid-plate and what does it look like?

I only saw 3 skid plates under my truck... front suspension plate, transfer case plate, and gas tank plate.

Last edited:

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
Okay, my research has led me to believe that FCA failed to correct their literature. I believe the steering group skid-plate is the same as the front suspension skid-plate, and that they neglected to remove one of the descriptions from the ORP details, thus leading me to believe there are supposed to be 4 skid-plates instead of the actual 3.

See the following, old discussion thread:

Maybe RAM Cares can shed some light on this topic?

79 300

Reaction score
I believe you have figured it out. There are only 3 skid plates total.

Pjmfelton

Reaction score
I just got a bighorn no skid plates at all, the front two just bolt on I believe but having trouble finding out what hardware is needed to install the fuel tank skid plate

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I just got a bighorn no skid plates at all, the front two just bolt on I believe but having trouble finding out what hardware is needed to install the fuel tank skid plate
Take a bolt off of one of the other skid plates and find a good Fasterner company and see if they can help you match it.

Pjmfelton

Reaction score
I also need the fastener that clips in the frame on the driver's side frame

1awesomelaw

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread