5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Fuel vs Aviation JP-4 Jet Fuel

Rich734

Reaction score
A friend had some leftover fuel they had kept for emergency use during hurricane Michael a couple of years ago. They told me it was aviation 100LL fuel for piston engines which is what I needed for my little airplane. I figured they knew better since they used to work at the local airport and sold fuel there. When they delivered it I found out it was JP-4 jet fuel. Would JP-4 fuel be safe to use in the RAM diesel engine? I don't know enough about that type of fuel to really understand the differences or if I should just give it away or burn it. Thanks!

chrisfuss

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken JP-4 is F-40 which means it would work, we used to do that at the German military. However you’d need a modified filter. It’s less of a lubricant, causing wear on the injectors, less power. Plus all these electronics on diesels these days not sure if they would be thrown off by the unspecified ignition point...
too many buts and ifs for an expensive truck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We used to pour the JP-4 fuel samples from aircraft into the diesel tugs (tractors) and power carts; but they weren't nearly as sophisticated as the RAM. Personally, I would not take the chance. I think that the JP-4 also has a higher sulfur and hydrocarbon content than the Diesel you buy at the gas station...your computer controlled emissions system would probably not react favorably.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
My expert analysis: I think you should go for it. Please post pics of what happens. You know, for science. :)

(In case there's any question, I do not endorse my expert analysis.)

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I’m just a boring private pilot and not even current at the moment. I seem to recall some differences but I wouldn’t chance it. With an old mid 70’s/80’s Diesel engine sure go ahead. Modern vehicles under warranty no way.

Boston

Reaction score
If you have a pre emissions gen 1, or something similar ok. But with all the emissions stuff, he'll no

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve worked with Jet Fuel for the last 17 years. If it were JP5 or JP8, I’d say you’d probably be safe running it mixed in with normal diesel as a one time thing. JP4 is mixed with gasoline, which is not something I would risk running in a newer engine. As others have mentioned, kerosene type turbine fuels do not offer the same lubrication that a diesel fuel will and can cause issues if the system wasn’t designed for it.

Rich734

Reaction score
I'd stick with the recommended fuel for your eco. How much JP-4 are we talking about here?

This claim is useless without pics. C'mon, you know the rules.
That's what I'll probably do. I was concerned about the lack of lubricating properties that are probably characteristic of the JP-4 fuel. At first I was thinking of adding maybe a little at a time (to my new 50-gallon aux tank) and let it get well mixed but I doubt if I will. I have about 30 gallons of the stuff. I'll see if I can pawn this off on some of my high performance pilot friends!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Even the funny ones! (Those were the best!)

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
That's what I'll probably do. I was concerned about the lack of lubricating properties that are probably characteristic of the JP-4 fuel. At first I was thinking of adding maybe a little at a time (to my new 50-gallon aux tank) and let it get well mixed but I doubt if I will. I have about 30 gallons of the stuff. I'll see if I can pawn this off on some of my high performance pilot friends!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Even the funny ones! (Those were the best!)

I wouldn't consider using it at all if you only have 30 gal... even if standard diesel fuel at the pump is $3/gal, your only talking about $90 worth of fuel!

Users who are viewing this thread