5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Fuel Quality

Gargaryon

Reaction score
Hey RAM fans with the 3rd generation Ecodiesel in the 5th generation truck. I was told by a friend that has been driving diesels for year that he trusts Shell diesel because of the additives. Anyone else share their experience with high quality diesel? I know this is a huge subject but I'm just looking for diesel fuel that will insure good long term health for the baby diesel in my 1500 .

JGRaider

Reaction score
I"ve posted this before..........I was in the fuel business for 25+ years. At a particular terminal, there's no difference in diesel fuels amongst the "brands", as all "brands" are the same unbranded diesel that is either shipped up the pipeline, or refined, then stored in huge bulk tanks. When loading the fuel at the terminal you designate which supplier you are buying from (Shell, Chevron, etc) but it all comes from the same bulk storage tank. MSDS sheets are readily available when loading, and every diesel fuel from that terminal or refinery is the same spec.

All ULSD fuels are lacking in lubricity and cetane nowadays, which is why I use and recommend additives. I personally use Hot Shot EDT. You may not notice increased mpg, etc, but lubricity is enhanced, and a really good thing.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Costco and Fast Stop diesel are the only diesel fuels in the US that are Top Tier. Not sure if their additives help. We don't have Fast Stop here in Los Angeles and not every Costco has diesel. I get gas at both Shell and Costco, depending on how cheap I get Shell with their rewards points. Don't really notice a difference in MPGs between the two.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
No such thing as a top tier diesel, but there is such a thing as bad diesel fuel. As mentioned no matter where it's sold, it's all from the same place. But how's it stored and how long it's stored contributes to the condition of the fuel. Obviously dirty diesel is bad, and water in fuel is worse. These conditions generally happen after it's delivered. So my suggestion is to buy diesel fuel from some place that sells lots of diesel, like truck stops, or other stores that move a good volume of fuel in and out. Those places give you the best odds of getting a good clean fuel.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Howie Dub

Reaction score
No such thing as a top tier diesel, but there is such a thing as bad diesel fuel. As mentioned no matter where it's sold, it's all from the same place. But how's it stored and how long it's stored contributes to the condition of the fuel. Obviously dirty diesel is bad, and water in fuel is worse. These conditions generally happen after it's delivered. So my suggestion is to buy diesel fuel from some place that sells lots of diesel, like truck stops, or other stores that move a good volume of fuel in and out. Those places give you the best odds of getting a good clean fuel.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
According to Top Tier there is. Maybe it's all mumbo jumbo.

D-dub

Reaction score
I buy my diesel fuel from Speedway. The 2 closest ones to me seem to move a good bit of it. Like others have said before, it's best to buy your diesel from the stations that sell quite a bit of it. So far I've had no issues using Speedway diesel.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have posted...I also use additives.

For my VW TDi, I use https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-kleen-cetane-boost/

For my EcoDiesel, I add a 50/50 mix of Amsoil Cetane Boost and Injector Cleaner. https://www.amsoil.com/c/diesel-additives/18/

Why different additives? Because I'm switching over to Amsoil and I have an ***-ton of power service left. My VW gets 48 mpg (per the car's computer) on my commute without Power Service. When I run with Power Service, it goes to 50-51 mpg on the same drive.

FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread