5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel 101 for Beginners

traveller09

Reaction score
So this will be my first Diesel. I have a little experience with them in the Marines (Tanks, AAV, HUMVEE) but no personal vehicle experience. I have always wanted one, and this purchase is definitely a want not a need. This will be a daily driver, but since Covid we have both become virtual workers so there isn’t much weekday driving. We do plan to use this vehicle for long road trips, camping and eventually we may get a small trailer to tow.

Over the last couple of years I have poured over this forum trying to learn as much as I can about RAM’s in general and lately more specifically about diesels.

I keep reading about the added expense and effort to maintain a diesel. I really want to start off on the right foot with this truck and would appreciate your feedback from seasoned diesel owners.

1. I live in the Seattle area and we don’t have much extreme weather but what special actions if any do I need to do for really cold weather (I did order with cold weather package just to have it)? What about extreme heat (I do make road trips to my parents in Phoenix along with other road trips)?

2. Fuel additives: Should I use them? If so what is the preferred brand and frequency (every fill up?)?

3. Warm up: How long should I warm up the truck before driving it? I am assuming it isn’t that delicate that I can’t start it up and go under normal outside temperatures.

4. Idle: In general good idea or bad. For example, if I am on a road trip and we pull into a rest area and it is really hot (desert) or vice versa winter (cold and snowy), should I let it idle or not? If my wife goes into the grocery store or god forbid HomeGoods and the dog and I are sitting in the truck for a while is it ok to let it idle so we can enjoy the heat or AC? Any general rules you guys follow related to idle?

5. Fuel Brands: I am guessing the answer is no since it is diesel fuel but do you guys have a preferred brand? I ask because for my Mercedes and Porsche I only use Chevron. I have had multiple Mercedes, BMW, etc. service managers tell me to only use Chevron. I have also talked to a few Porsche mechanics that have told me “I tear apart engines every day and I can tell you who is using Chevron and who isn’t”. So I have been religious about using Chevron, and knock on wood I have never had engine/fuel problems in any vehicle, whether that has anything to do with the fuel or not I have no idea but I am not changing now.

6.Def Fluid Brand: Any preference?

7. Oil: I assume, at least while under warranty, people are using RAM recommended oil? I plan, at least for the first few, to have the dealer perform the oil change but I would like to carry some in the truck in case I ever run low.

8. Break in period: Any special instructions here?

9. Preventive Maintenance: Any day to day, week to week, monthly PM I should perform?

10. Toolkit: I am building a small toolkit for the truck. Are there any diesel unique items I should carry in the truck? Belts, fuses, etc?

11. Misc:

Feel free to add anything I am overlooking. Like I said I really want to start off on the right foot with this truck by doing all the right things. I am sure I am completely over thinking this, but I do that.

I am a novice with diesels and I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this will be my first Diesel. I have a little experience with them in the Marines (Tanks, AAV, HUMVEE) but no personal vehicle experience. I have always wanted one, and this purchase is definitely a want not a need. This will be a daily driver, but since Covid we have both become virtual workers so there isn’t much weekday driving. We do plan to use this vehicle for long road trips, camping and eventually we may get a small trailer to tow.

Over the last couple of years I have poured over this forum trying to learn as much as I can about RAM’s in general and lately more specifically about diesels.

I keep reading about the added expense and effort to maintain a diesel. I really want to start off on the right foot with this truck and would appreciate your feedback from seasoned diesel owners.

1. I live in the Seattle area and we don’t have much extreme weather but what special actions if any do I need to do for really cold weather (I did order with cold weather package just to have it)? What about extreme heat (I do make road trips to my parents in Phoenix along with other road trips)?

2. Fuel additives: Should I use them? If so what is the preferred brand and frequency (every fill up?)?

3. Warm up: How long should I warm up the truck before driving it? I am assuming it isn’t that delicate that I can’t start it up and go under normal outside temperatures.

4. Idle: In general good idea or bad. For example, if I am on a road trip and we pull into a rest area and it is really hot (desert) or vice versa winter (cold and snowy), should I let it idle or not? If my wife goes into the grocery store or god forbid HomeGoods and the dog and I are sitting in the truck for a while is it ok to let it idle so we can enjoy the heat or AC? Any general rules you guys follow related to idle?

5. Fuel Brands: I am guessing the answer is no since it is diesel fuel but do you guys have a preferred brand? I ask because for my Mercedes and Porsche I only use Chevron. I have had multiple Mercedes, BMW, etc. service managers tell me to only use Chevron. I have also talked to a few Porsche mechanics that have told me “I tear apart engines every day and I can tell you who is using Chevron and who isn’t”. So I have been religious about using Chevron, and knock on wood I have never had engine/fuel problems in any vehicle, whether that has anything to do with the fuel or not I have no idea but I am not changing now.

6.Def Fluid Brand: Any preference?

7. Oil: I assume, at least while under warranty, people are using RAM recommended oil? I plan, at least for the first few, to have the dealer perform the oil change but I would like to carry some in the truck in case I ever run low.

8. Break in period: Any special instructions here?

9. Preventive Maintenance: Any day to day, week to week, monthly PM I should perform?

10. Toolkit: I am building a small toolkit for the truck. Are there any diesel unique items I should carry in the truck? Belts, fuses, etc?

11. Misc:

Feel free to add anything I am overlooking. Like I said I really want to start off on the right foot with this truck by doing all the right things. I am sure I am completely over thinking this, but I do that.

I am a novice with diesels and I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks
Regarding idling, with modern diesels it's generally not necessary, you'd just be wasting fuel & adding wear. If you really do need it for cabin temperature control, so be it. But idling modern diesels just because they're diesels, is just not necessary.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For my 2019 Ram 5.7 the break in procedure is on something like page 263 of the owner's manual. Doesn't appear to be a high priority.
download

tom318

Reaction score
Most of my diesel ownership experience is from VW 2.0 TDI motors but I'm treating this Ecodiesel the same way. These are just things I do and others may not agree. Between 3 TDI's Ive done 250k Miles issue free. (2012 Jetta, 160k, 2015 Golf 60k, and 2014 Passat 30k) and 18k on my 21 ED.

1. I've done nothing as long as i know the fuel came from the area. If i bought fuel from an area that's hot (AZ or FL) and then drove somewhere that's possibly freezing Id use an additive for just that tank to prevent gelling. If the fuel is purchased from a cold region during winter months then those fuels are typically "winter blend" already and expect your fuel economy to go down during those months.

2. Never used them....other swear by it. I just make sure I find a good diesel station that's used often.

3. Not needed but I personally like to give it at least 30sec to a minute to let fluids at least begin circulating. I do this with any engine, personal thing and not just to the diesel.

4. I usually let mine idle during trips or getting ready to leave from vacation destinations. Coming off the highway or especially towing its a good idea to let it idle to let the turbos cool but with these modern cars probably not totally needed.

5. I use a mobile near me. Over the years I've noticed that fuel from this station usually resulted in better fuel economy and better starting. Later found the owners were diesel enthusiast and made sure their station only had the best so I always buy there. Id recommend a place you see frequented by many others diesel trucks.

6. Make sure it at least meets ISO 22241. I've yet to find one that doesn't. Filling up at a station that has DEF at the pump with save you some $$$. Its nearly half the cost at the pump vs. the 2.5gal containers at a store.

7. Make sure its meets Chrysler spec MS-12991 and API SN. I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40. About $45 per 6pk on Amazon. I personally change my own oil because I don't trust the dealer. I date and keep a bottle around until my warranty expires just so I have a case if anything comes up. Also for the $30 ill be doing the oil analysis from Blackstone. Gives me a nice document for my records, I'm sure its totally overkill. Using the wrong oils gave the previous generation of this motor a bad reputation. There is even countless stories on this forum with the dealer putting in the wrong oil into these motors. Remember these engines are not COMMON to a dealer. May sound crazy but some of these techs that change oil couldn't tell the difference and if they see 50 v8s each day and then 1 diesel, there is a high chance they use the wrong oil. (EDIT: If you change oil yourself, get a Fumoto F106S Drain valve and a little tube to install onto it. Makes life much easier.)

8. No

9. Stay on top of Oil changes and the basic things like air/fuel filters. I've been doing oil changes at 25% remaining or after 7500 miles. I think its overkill and once the truck rolls 30k ill most likely begin changing every 10k. this will also depend on what i learn from the oil analysis from Blackstone. My other TDIs i did every 10k and no issues. Fuel filter every second oil change or 20k.

10. rags, gloves and clean up items. When it spills or you get it all over while pumping its a mess and you don't want it all over your seats or interior. Otherwise I don't have anything special.

Again, I'm no expert or certified technician. These are just things I do and have seen over a limited amount of time.

Last edited:

Synergy26

Reaction score
Let it idle for a minute when you stop driving before turning it off so you don't get oil coking on the turbo.

Lee07

Reaction score
I’m still combing through the ecodiesel forum and I’m on my first diesel truck. This is a good discussion.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m still combing through the ecodiesel forum and I’m on my first diesel truck. This is a good discussion.
I’ve found using my MX+ that after a 75 to 100 mile trip doing 75 mph (legal in Texas on freeways) that it can take up to 2-1/2 to 3 minutes idling for cool down. Pulling into the driveway I’ll have EGT running 450 to 500 degrees. Three minutes sometimes to get it down to 360 degrees. Turbo May cool down faster when ambient temps are below 50 degrees outside but it takes longer when the temp is 95 to 105.

I lived most of my life in Alaska where cool down at -20 was much quicker! 😉

Lee07

Reaction score
I’ve found using my MX+ that after a 75 to 100 mile trip doing 75 mph (legal in Texas on freeways) that it can take up to 2-1/2 to 3 minutes idling for cool down. Pulling into the driveway I’ll have EGT running 450 to 500 degrees. Three minutes sometimes to get it down to 360 degrees. Turbo May cool down faster when ambient temps are below 50 degrees outside but it takes longer when the temp is 95 to 105.

I lived most of my life in Alaska where cool down at -20 was much quicker!

After going 125 miles on the highway at a speed of 75-80 so far I’ve put the truck in idle for about 2-3 minutes before shutting down. I don’t have any tools or app yet but just going based on what I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After going 125 miles on the highway at a speed of 75-80 so far I’ve put the truck in idle for about 2-3 minutes before shutting down. I don’t have any tools or app yet but just going based on what I read.

I use the MX+ which cost me $89. I monitor the following on my iPhone Bluetooth’d to the MX+. I sit the iPhone horizontally in the pen holder on top of the dash so I can monitor the gauges - this places it in line with my factory heads up display. The pic below is while in regen doing 75 mph.

Attachments

• BCB9B101-417A-414D-B9A5-C682D47EAFE1.png
    BCB9B101-417A-414D-B9A5-C682D47EAFE1.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 55

Lee07

Reaction score
I use the MX+ which cost me $89. I monitor the following on my iPhone Bluetooth’d to the MX+. I sit the iPhone horizontally in the pen holder on top of the dash so I can monitor the gauges - this places it in line with my factory heads up display. The pic below is while in regen doing 75 mph.

I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the info.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only buy my diesel from a station where I know they are selling a lot of fuel instead of some Mini-Mart that might be lucky to sell 500 gallons out of their 9000 gallon tank per month.

I also have under the seat a fuel nozzle adapter so in a pinch I can use the bigger nozzles at truck stops. I’ve never used it and I’m sure it will make a mess but it’s one of those “In Case of Emergency Break Glass“ items if you are stuck half way between no where.

When fueling I grab a few paper towels to wipe up any dribbles. As I pull out the nozzle I put the paper towels under the nozzle until it’s back in the pump and then wipe any splatters around the door with one more paper towel.

DEF does grow old so only buy what you need.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only buy my diesel from a station where I know they are selling a lot of fuel instead of some Mini-Mart that might be lucky to sell 500 gallons out of their 9000 gallon tank per month.

I also have under the seat a fuel nozzle adapter so in a pinch I can use the bigger nozzles at truck stops. I’ve never used it and I’m sure it will make a mess but it’s one of those “In Case of Emergency Break Glass“ items if you are stuck half way between no where.

When fueling I grab a few paper towels to wipe up any dribbles. As I pull out the nozzle I put the paper towels under the nozzle until it’s back in the pump and then wipe any splatters around the door with one more paper towel.

DEF does grow old so only buy what you need.
You can use the big nozzles in the Ram with no issues. Just go slow. I've done it multiple times.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding fuel (and gasoline) brands, I've always been a BP/Exxon first guy, then Chevron/Citgo/Shell (probably forgetting some) but sometimes, I've gone to one of these stations and there's a sticker by the diesel pump that indicates its not "BP" or whichever station I'm at. I have no idea where that comes from, but I wish I would know before I pull in that its a non-name brand. Since I'll be towing my camper more in the future, I'm curious about the quality of gas at Love's and the other truck stops. I'm sure they turn it over a lot and I've used it before, but don't know how good it is. I do have some additive I use if I'm concerned.

dale661

Reaction score
I had a 2017 Ecodiesel. I loved it, and I never should have gotten rid of it! I did, and I wound up with a Tundra for 6.5 months. After getting eaten alive at the gas pump, I decided to do something about it. I found a good enough replacement for what I had, and I'M BACK!

I ran additives all of the time in my 2017. I'm still at 3/4 of a tank on the new one with just 150 miles on it. This is what I usually ran because I liked to make sure I was pushing all of the water out of the tank:

Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme every 5,000 miles. I used half a 16 oz. bottle each time. In-between all of that, I would run Stanadyne or Hot Shots Secret EDT (performance dose) at each fill up when I was at home.

As far as the best diesel, here in Texas and Louisiana it has been Shell. That has given me the best mpg. My dad runs it in his F250 6.7 Powerstroke, and it has given him very good mileage as well. The best thing to do is try a bunch of stations that are busy all of the time. If you can find one that doesn't blend any biodiesel, it may be better. The Shell stuff down here doesn't have it mixed in, but some stations do.

With any turbo charged engine, you will always want to let it warm up and cool down before completely killing it.

I'm going to be running the Amsoil in the list below. If you pay $20 a year, and you can get 20% off. That's cheap enough for me. I was putting 10.5 quarts in the 2017 every 10,000 miles. The Total Base Number was getting too low for 10,000 mile change intervals with Shell Rotella T6. I'm not taking any chances this time!

Hot Shots Secret makes great additives. Stanadyne is really good as well! I put Hot Shots Secret FR3 in my lawn mower, and that sucker started running like new again! I will probably run that in my engine oil as well.

With all of that said, here is a list of engine oils that are approved:

Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40 (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40
Havoline ProDS 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40
Motul 8100 C-clean 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40
TRIAX Euro LX 5W-40
TRIAX Euro Ultra VX 5W-40
Ravenol VST 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 SXR 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 FT 5W-40
AMALIE Elixir Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Millers Oil Trident Fully Synthetic 5W-40
Millers Oils XF LONGLIFE 5W-40
MPT Thirty-K True Synthetic High Performance 5W-40
CAM2 Blue Blood Elite Euro 5W-40
FUCHS TITAN Supersyn SAE 5W-40
Lubrication Engineers 5w40 Monolec Ultra Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil
REPSOL ELITE COSMOS HIGH PERFORMANCE 5W-40
Amsoil 5W-40 FS Synthetic European (EFM)
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Im going to be annoying and bump an old thread. This thread is pretty legit with info.

I will add that I have a work car as part of a fleet. I have a fuel card and over the several years if my career and having 3 brand new cars out of using other used ones, I can 100% agree that “Chevron” fuel is better with the extra additives the station orders.

In my area Wawa, Speedway, 7-Eleven, Racetrac, Circle K (not to be confused with Shell pumps/Circle K store), all buy the cheapest fuel without additives.

You can search by using this website. I haven't seen anyone talk about this to look for additive fuels. TOP TIER - High-quality Fuel Performance Standard - TOP TIER™

I will also add that it’s important to idle the engine after highway driving or towing loads. Cooling the turbo down will help its life with any car. As it’s been stated many times, heat kills engines.

No break in period. Within the first week of buying my truck I may of driven it to Mexico and topped it out. It’s governed pretty low, I was surprised.

Idk about putting additives in the tank with every fill up. I find quality fuel and am religious with the top tier fuel stuff. Id be curious to know the difference inside the motor or some proof that using an additive every fill up makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread