5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Didnt expect to see this from stock flares

rtpassini

Reaction score
Tough to see, the arch is actually scratches but less than 2000 miles on my limited. A bit ridiculous

Attachments

• 20220705_173054_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20220705_173054_copy_1008x756.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 20220705_173114_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20220705_173114_copy_756x1008.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 284

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ummm, ok? You can buff them out if they’re not too deep. Bigger question is what are you going to do with all the holes?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's par for the course on American trucks with fender flares. Unlike Toyota, which uses a rubber gasket between the body and flares, for some reason, the domestics just puts bare plastic on painted metal.

However, unless it somehow got loose and started scratching above the visible line where the flare and body connect, It's honestly not a big deal. You shouldn't see any of those scratches with the flare in place. I've personally never seen the flare scratch deep enough to go beyond the clear coat either.

rtpassini

Reaction score
Ummm, ok? You can buff them out if they’re not too deep. Bigger question is what are you going to do with all the holes?
Im putting on bigger flares. The point of this, is that on a brand new truck theres already pretty significant scratches. Most of which wont buff out.

rtpassini

Reaction score
That's par for the course on American trucks with fender flares. Unlike Toyota, which uses a rubber gasket between the body and flares, for some reason, the domestics just puts bare plastic on painted metal.

However, unless it somehow got loose and started scratching above the visible line where the flare and body connect, It's honestly not a big deal. You shouldn't see any of those scratches with the flare in place. I've personally never seen the flare scratch deep enough to go beyond the clear coat either.
I was just surprised to see this as they are actually fixed on to the fender with tabs unlike aftermarkets. I've had aftermarkets on for 40k miles on my 4th gen that didnt look this bad.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife's F150 was the same way when we removed them to replace the headlights.

Guess they figure the avg person will never take em off and therefore will never know?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was just surprised to see this as they are actually fixed on to the fender with tabs unlike aftermarkets. I've had aftermarkets on for 40k miles on my 4th gen that didnt look this bad.

Oh gotcha, yeah they are all like that from what I know. My F150 & my buddy's Tacoma are the same way, holes drilled in the fender using tabs/clips, seems like following the aftermarket would be better, but that's how the OEMs do it for some weird reason.

From what I remember, Ford & RAM use larger round & square holes whole GM and Toyota use smaller round holes, all drilled into the fender.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I used clear door edge guard when I put the bushwacker flares on. Install the flare then tape approx 1/8 of a inch above the flare. Remove the flare put the clear tape on then reinstall the flare. Even though the bushwhacker have a rubber gasket they will still scratch the paint leaving it susceptible to rust under the flare that you won’t be able to see. I have a 2020 Laramie that came with factor flares replaced them around 4000 miles and did not have any scratches from the factory flares. I also used the clear tape to cover all the holes on the fender before I installed them to keep road debris from splashing into the flare from the backside.

Jr22

Reaction score
interested to see which flares you are going to put on there. Been looking around so far haven't found anything I like

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

And even on the Toyota, the rubber will still wear on the paint over time.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
And even on the Toyota, the rubber will still wear on the paint over time.

Sure, but not like bare plastic on paint. I had to take a rubber mounted flare off a Land Cruiser once, it was 20 years old, and the paint looked great. You saw the pic of the OPs fender flare removed on a new truck?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Im putting on bigger flares. The point of this, is that on a brand new truck theres already pretty significant scratches. Most of which wont buff out.

The bigger flares are going to cover them up, so who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread