5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I make a mistake getting a RAM???

Tinatwj

Reaction score
I was thinking same thing I had a 21 F150 with no issues other than it wasnt a V8 and now I went back to ram and have issue after issue with the uconnect I feel I made a mistake as well. Ive had several Rams in the past with no issues
I'm also having problems with my 2019 ram, I can not get into uconnect period, dealer replaced complete radio 3 times still not working I'm beyond frustrated at this point!

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Yup, that's why it was low mileage. You now have somebody else's problem child.

I would never consider a low mileage one or two year old truck or any vehicle for this reason.
Not always the reason for low mileage, as of the Friday before fathers day I have had my truck for two years. It just hit 16k and some change after my 4th of July round trip Maryland from Georgia. I have a Corolla I DD, so the truck gets used when towing the race trailer or long family trips (normally the same trip). That being said my ex - wife's brother is a salesman at the local CDJR dealership and that place is as shady as they come.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As was mentioned, all manufacturers have issues at some point. I purchased a 2018 Ford F150 XLT new. I figured that if Ford is number 1 in truck sales and sold about 800,000 in 2017, they can't be bad, right? I bought the 5.0L with the 10 speed trans on a Saturday and was in service on Monday. After months of back and forth, I won my lemon law case and got rid of that truck.

Now, I have a '21 Rebel. I see lots of people having issues with electrical, dead batteries, Uconnect, etc. I have not had any 'major' issues that would warrant me wanting to lemon law this truck. I did have the back window leak that I fixed myself and is no longer an issue. I do have the front end clunk from time to time, but I will be replacing the sway bar endlinks with aftermarket when I level the front, so that should kill that issue. I do have the issue with AC leaking thru the front defroster causing the windshield to fog up, but I don't think there's any fix for that.

I've been lucky with this truck as it's been awesome. I taught my son to be cautious when buying used. He said that being the second owner means you the 1st owner took the depreciation hit, but the 2nd owner might be getting issues not disclosed.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Take the battery terminals off and let it sit over night, then reconnect. That has fixed pretty much any weird electrical issue for me on the RAM.

logboom

Reaction score
I purchased a new 23 Laramie 1500 Etourque 5.7, 3.92 gears in April.
In late June my wife and I headed out for an extended road trip to Sacramento and back...roughly 1800 miles +-.
NO issues whatsoever. Averaged about 19 mpg. Truck now has about 2300 miles on it.
We relied on Android auto for mapping etc.
The u-connect was ok, but we found the Google mapping to be more efficient.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Just bought a 2022 Ram Rebel yesterday. I've had my Silverado for 20 years and put a ton of miles on it. Didn't plan on buying a truck but a used low mileage Rebel came up and I couldn't resist. Night and day from my older truck. Problem is I'm having a TON of electrical issues already AND the damn thing shut off on my wife, going through an intersection, and applied the emergency brakes, first day we got it! It's only got 7k miles! Looks like it's a known issue that Ram hasn't fixed yet?? Combine that with auto stop start not working, radio cuts out sound randomly, and the rear electrical slide window closes when it wants to..... Why the hell did I ever make the switch from Chevy???
Hope these things are fixable because it seems to be a pretty awesome truck.
Sorry you are having to deal with this. I know this suggestion only deals with the least important of the issues you mentioned, but you may need to check your navigation settings to remedy the sound randomly cutting out. What I noticed is that when the navigation announces the next turn, it mutes the music. If you have the notification volume set too low, you won’t hear the announcement, but you will notice the music volume dropping out. Next time it happens, try turning the volume knob up very quickly and you may catch the tail end of a navigation notification. Or make sure the notification volume is set high enough in settings.

Maybe not the actual problem but something to check nonetheless.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking same thing I had a 21 F150 with no issues other than it wasnt a V8 and now I went back to ram and have issue after issue with the uconnect I feel I made a mistake as well. Ive had several Rams in the past with no issues
Ram has had more infotainment issues recently because of the switch to Uconnect-5, but they'll get on top of the issues. Uconnect-5 is a TOTAL overhaul compared to Uconnect-4.
Uconnect-4 was based on the QNX operating system, an old, well-proven, well-honed, ultra-reliable operating system for real-time industrial control - basically, QNX was designed for mission-critical applications, but it was getting old. Uconnect-5 is based on Android, which as everyone knows is absolutely NOT a mission-critical-capable operating system.
But every major change takes a few cycles to get settled down and the major bugs worked out. Be patient, eventually Ram will get Uconnect-5 whipped into shape.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As "A-Team" mentioned above, the first thing to do is disconnect the battery for at least an hour, preferably two hours. Reconnect battery and leave the vehicle alone for another two hours. Drive it for an hour, preferably on the highway, turn it off and leave it alone for another two hours with the battery connected. Then drive it normally. If any of the gremlins you describe are due to an incomplete or an interrupted OTA update, that sequence should get rid of at least a few of what seem like "electrical gremlins" (which most are not, most are "operating system gremlins").
Also, if you leave your truck parked for more than a few days, it's a good idea to use a battery conditioner, for example a Noco Genius. As others have mentioned above, these vehicles are very susceptible to low-voltage events, and a single, brief low-voltage event can toss out more error codes than you can shake a stick at. So it really pays to keep the battery topped off at all times with a modern "battery conditioner" (some call them "battery tenders"). There are multiple good brands, but FWIW, I have had very good luck with two of my vehicles with the Noco Genius product family of battery conditioners (you can buy a small 3-amp model that is designed to permanently mount under the hood, then all you have to do is connect it to 110 volt AC extension cord, no fiddling with battery clamps). But even if you don't go for a battery conditioner, at least try the total sequence I described above - it can't hurt and it might well help.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
For the record, in my opinion, U connect 4 is much better than U connect 5. Keeping 4 was part of the reason I bought and kept my 19. Also Go-Ram is spot on about the battery voltage issues. When the oem battery went south in mine at 37k all sorts of weird electrical issues happened. New AGM battery fixed all issues immediately.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
All brands have units with problems. Usually, the ones that comes with low miles and great price.

Users who are viewing this thread