5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Equalizer (E4) distribute enough?

DanRam

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just picked up our first camper and am looking to make sure the weight distribution set up correctly, by the dealer. Only towed the short trip home (trailer empty) and felt some surge, like the trailer was pushing the truck a bit.

Trailer is 26' & 6995lbs GVWR (Imagine xls 22MLE) using an equalizer WDH set up with 5 washers. Truck is 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Off road with 1430lbs payload per sticker though I've added a bit of stuff.

I hit the CAT scale on the way home, glad it's on the way, and I believe our numbers are all good but I'm not sure the hitch distributed enough back to the steer axle and trailer axle. Once I'm confident of that I might look at maybe adding timbren/sumo springs, though the truck didn't seem to squat too much. Maybe it would help. I've read the Falken tires could be a contributing factor too.

First ticket is truck only. Second ticket is trailer connected without weight distribution and third is with weigh distribution. The hitch brought the steer axle back from 3240 lbs up to 3400lbs but the truck alone had 3560 lbs on the steer axle.

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Steer should be close to empty weight. Also only +80lbs on the trailer axles is not enough.

You need to dial in more WD.

DanRam

Reaction score
Thanks Brutal, I was afraid of that. I'll break out the equalizer manual

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good video to check out why bags/Sumo springs/Timbrens, etc. are not a good idea (when used alone):

Reactions: c3k

20GladRubicon

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just picked up our first camper and am looking to make sure the weight distribution set up correctly, by the dealer. Only towed the short trip home (trailer empty) and felt some surge, like the trailer was pushing the truck a bit.

Trailer is 26' & 6995lbs GVWR (Imagine xls 22MLE) using an equalizer WDH set up with 5 washers. Truck is 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Off road with 1430lbs payload per sticker though I've added a bit of stuff.

I hit the CAT scale on the way home, glad it's on the way, and I believe our numbers are all good but I'm not sure the hitch distributed enough back to the steer axle and trailer axle. Once I'm confident of that I might look at maybe adding timbren/sumo springs, though the truck didn't seem to squat too much. Maybe it would help. I've read the Falken tires could be a contributing factor too.

First ticket is truck only. Second ticket is trailer connected without weight distribution and third is with weigh distribution. The hitch brought the steer axle back from 3240 lbs up to 3400lbs but the truck alone had 3560 lbs on the steer axle.

I have an Imagine XLS17MKE. I ended up with seven washers when it was all said and done. I have a Fastway E2 trunnion hitch with 800 # bars. Hope this helps.

DanRam

Reaction score
I have an Imagine XLS17MKE. I ended up with seven washers when it was all said and done. I have a Fastway E2 trunnion hitch with 800 # bars. Hope this helps.
Another vote for 7 washers and the MKE is a little smaller than my MLE. I'll look at trying that. thx

badpewterz

Reaction score
"dealer set it up" surprised they got it that close . download the manual and watch some videos. probably another washer and/or adjust brackets and you will be golden.
i have a husky centerline TS and got all my weight back on my setup .

DanRam

Reaction score
I went to 7 washers and the rig felt and handled better though maybe a little stiff. Originally there was 50% of the steer axle weight put back to the steer axle. Loaded up the trailer some and with 7 washers it's closer to 82%. Any thoughts on if that is too much or a good amount?

WD Off
IMG_6468.jpeg

WD ON
IMG_6469.jpeg

badpewterz

Reaction score
send it! not gonna get much closer without driving yourself nuts

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

What wheels/tires are on your truck? Does the Sport cancel out the ORP? I have the ORP and it has 18" C rated Falkens. I haven't towed yet with it (picking up our camper fri) but I will have an almost identical setup. Yesterday I swapped to E rated Vredestein tires.

DanRam

Reaction score
What wheels/tires are on your truck? Does the Sport cancel out the ORP? I have the ORP and it has 18" C rated Falkens. I haven't towed yet with it (picking up our camper fri) but I will have an almost identical setup. Yesterday I swapped to E rated Vredestein tires.

I have the stock Falken 275/55R20 tires which I think are compliments of the Sport package. I don't plan to swap to a stiffer tire until these wear out.

What differences, if any, have you noticed with your new tires? I realize you just swapped them and may need more time to tell...

Nels

Reaction score
My 19 Laramie Sport came with the Bridgestone Duelers. The Falkens are part of the ORP. I've not driven on those Falkens, but having driven 5000 miles on the Duelers before replacing I can say confidently that I would not plan to tow with them. They're terrible even without a load.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I have the stock Falken 275/55R20 tires which I think are compliments of the Sport package. I don't plan to swap to a stiffer tire until these wear out.

What differences, if any, have you noticed with your new tires? I realize you just swapped them and may need more time to tell...
I can definitely tell that they're stiffer but they're really quiet (I think quieter than the falkens) and didn't affect the ride too much. Going over potholes is still fine but you will feel it a little more going over a raised curb. Yeah after today I will have mayb 170 miles on them.

Users who are viewing this thread