5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did a 4th Gen tonneau cover (tri-fold, short bed) fit a 5th Gen RAM 1500? Dealer say YES, manufacturer say NO!!

Firebird

Reaction score
Here's where the cover meets up with the bed against the cab, fits the contour well. 20200628_114056.jpg

SimmZ

Reaction score
Hey folks! I just received my Tyger Auto hard tri-fold aluminium cover with a specific PN# for the 5th gen RAM and this thing is totally amazing for the price. Obviously it's not as sleek as the BAKFlip G2 cover, but overall I pay 1000$ LESS (true!) than the BAKFlip G2 for this cover. It's still rated to 300 pounds load capacity and it's still tamper proof as being hard aluminium. It fits very well the 5th gen RAM, except that the front of the cover isn't curved (like Firebird just demonstrate), but with the included adhesive seal, it look "pretty much" weather tight! The only small cons about this hard aluminium cover is that the total weight is around 55 pounds, so a single person can fold it easily, however for a complete removal from the truck, it's a TWO-PERSONS job as it's way too heavy to be lifted from one side by a single person. However I assume that any hard aluminium cover would weight pretty similar weight however, it's just because I am going from a soft vinyl tri-fold cover to this one and were surprised by its weight! Here's the final result :

IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0261.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey folks! I just received my Tyger Auto hard tri-fold aluminium cover with a specific PN# for the 5th gen RAM and this thing is totally amazing for the price. Obviously it's not as sleek as the BAKFlip G2 cover, but overall I pay 1000$ LESS (true!) than the BAKFlip G2 for this cover. It's still rated to 300 pounds load capacity and it's still tamper proof as being hard aluminium. It fits very well the 5th gen RAM, except that the front of the cover isn't curved (like Firebird just demonstrate), but with the included adhesive seal, it look "pretty much" weather tight! The only small cons about this hard aluminium cover is that the total weight is around 55 pounds, so a single person can fold it easily, however for a complete removal from the truck, it's a TWO-PERSONS job as it's way too heavy to be lifted from one side by a single person. However I assume that any hard aluminium cover would weight pretty similar weight however, it's just because I am going from a soft vinyl tri-fold cover to this one and were surprised by its weight! Here's the final result :

View attachment 60764 View attachment 60765
Tyger auto makes very decent covers...I had a soft roll up one on my Ford. I would've bought that brand if they made a hard quad fold one.

Cstellygo

Reaction score
So.. conversely a gen 5 short bed cover should theoretically fit on gen 4 short bed fairly good? .... asking for a friend that's new to the truck scene... 🙄

Grumpy37

Reaction score
I put my etang trifold that came off my 2014 Ram on my 2020 North Edition DT because dealer was going to throw it away. 8 months and no issues yet.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So.. conversely a gen 5 short bed cover should theoretically fit on gen 4 short bed fairly good? .... asking for a friend that's new to the truck scene... 🙄
Is the 4th gen bed's front edge curved like the 5th gens? (see @Firebird post above). If so, it should fit fine. I believe all other dimensions are the same.

oaviking06

Reaction score
I put my etang trifold that came off my 2014 Ram on my 2020 North Edition DT because dealer was going to throw it away. 8 months and no issues yet.
Yea I was gonna spend 250 on a new one and decided to see if it fit, since I had also traded my truck in. Yea I did not have any issues either... It could of been an extra inch longer but there were no gaps or anything. So I was glad I tried it first before spending money.

Nick57

Reaction score
the DT's short beds are slightly longer then the 4th gens. My MX4 from my old 4th gen fits my new truck but barely. If it was half an inch shorter than it is it wouldn't seal. So even though you can move one from a 4th gen over to a 5th i highly doubt it would work very well the other way around.

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
I placed an order for a "generic" brand tri-fold tonneau cover from Amazon Canada with a specific description for a 5th generation RAM 1500 2019-2020 and surprisingly received a Rough Country brand box! However box is PN# 4409550 which is, according to Rough Country website, a fitment for a 4th Gen RAM with short box. I contacted the seller on Amazon and he answered that any tri-fold tonneau cover from a 4th Gen will fit a 5th Gen because both beds have the exact same length and width. However when I got on Rough Country, they have specific part, which is PN# 44307550... So I contacted Rough Country hot line this morning and they answered that the PN# I receive is NOT compatible with my 5th Gen RAM 1500 and I need the other PN# 44307550.

However, why I am asking you this question now is because I contacted my local dealer where I purchased my BIG HORN DT and they answered that they usually use any tri-fold tonneau cover for a 5th Gen RAM... no matter if it's specific to 5th Gen or some old stuff for the 4th Gen... as they are all the same, according to them too!

So I am TOTALLY confused now... why did manufacturers like LEER, Rough Country, BAK, etc., are carrying a specific PN# for 5th Gen RAM 1500 which is a different number that the 4th Gen if the cover is the same??? WTF?

Heres the box I receive this morning :

View attachment 60122
My understanding is that it will not fit as it’s designed for a Classic. I made the mistake buying a Lomax I thought would fit my Big Horn. It’s for sale if anyone is looking for a Lomax for 6’4” bed on a classic or any 2500 & 3500

Blackoutram2019

Reaction score
My 4th gen mopar trifold fits on my 5th gen but not perfect it's a little wide up front and has gaps inside along cab. And the back get caught when closing the tailgate. It actually stopped my tailgate from latching then my tail gate popped off the mount on the right side luckily the bumper caught it and didn't do any damage. Going to get right of the 4th gen and get one for the 5th gen.

Ipack22

Reaction score
Every manufacturer I shopped via for a tonneau cover told me straight out that the 4th generation ones will NOT fit. The one company wouldn’t even sell me the part based upon that information.
I just installed a retrax powertrax pro Mx from my ‘17 on my ‘20 with no issue. All seals line up and no concerns with anything.

friendshipm

Reaction score
If you are looking on the used market, the soft roll covers for the short box F-150s also fits our trucks with the short box. Best $20 experiment I have done on this truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online