5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diamondback HD Tonneau - Installed (w/pics)

Daytona440

Reaction score
My Diamondback HD Tonneau cover arrived last Wednesday. Unfortunately due to work, weather and typical parenting duties I had to wait until yesterday (Sunday) to do the install. One of my buddies came over to help. It is probably doable alone, but substantially easier with 2 people, especially when adjusting the locking rods. It was much easier to have him locking & unlocking and applying pressure to the cover while I adjusted the mechanism. We took our time and had a few beers and conversations while we did it so it took us a little longer, but I think their install time of approximately 45 minutes is accurate if you don't putz around like we did.

Overall I am extremely happy with the purchase. Yes they are expensive, but the quality is excellent. I've already gotten a bunch of compliments on it already. I went with an HD in the smooth black finish.
(I didn't have time to wash the truck before taking the pictures. I was too excited).
IMG_4490.jpeg IMG_4491.jpeg IMG_4492.jpeg IMG_4494.jpeg IMG_4496.jpeg IMG_4498.jpeg IMG_4507.jpeg

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Very nice! I really want one. What is your thoughts on going HD instead of SE? I know the load rating is ike 1600lbs HD, 400lbs SE, I just can't imagine putting more than 400 lbs on top.

Daytona440

Reaction score
Very nice! I really want one. What is your thoughts on going HD instead of SE? I know the load rating is ike 1600lbs HD, 400lbs SE, I just can't imagine putting more than 400 lbs on top.

Thanks! I was in the same boat for a long time. SE vs HD. i went back and forth many times. Added capacity vs reduced cost (and weight). Truth be told, the HD is rated to hold probably 300 lbs MORE than my truck is anyway. BUT, what ended up being the deciding factor for me was a couple things.

1.) I wanted all the extra cleats. the HD comes with 12, vs 4 for the SE. you can buy extra cleats, I think they are $50 for 4. so adding 2 packs of cleats brought the price difference closer (but still $300 difference).

2.) I go on camping and hunting trips. I tend to always bring my 36 inch blackstone Griddle. The Griddle weighs 120 lbs alone, and when you add the accessories, propane tank and the custom wood carry box I built it's easily 200 lbs which would be on the cover. I also bring a 70 qt Yukon cold locker cooler, which when full of food/drinks/ice is probably 60-70 pounds. those two items alone would get me 2/3rds of the way to the max capacity of the SE.

3.) the weight ratings are "evenly distributed" weight. while I would try to evenly distribute the weight, I felt more comfortable with the HD that had a higher weight rating. If 2 people stand on the cover (i'm 200 lbs) you could easily exceed the 400 lbs capacity and it would not be evenly distributed...

Those were the main drivers that sold me on the HD over the SE. Will I ever put 1600 pounds on it? not even close, but knowing that I "could" if I needed to was nice piece of mind.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
Thanks! I was in the same boat for a long time. SE vs HD. i went back and forth many times. Added capacity vs reduced cost (and weight). Truth be told, the HD is rated to hold probably 300 lbs MORE than my truck is anyway. BUT, what ended up being the deciding factor for me was a couple things.

1.) I wanted all the extra cleats. the HD comes with 12, vs 4 for the SE. you can buy extra cleats, I think they are $50 for 4. so adding 2 packs of cleats brought the price difference closer (but still $300 difference).

2.) I go on camping and hunting trips. I tend to always bring my 36 inch blackstone Griddle. The Griddle weighs 120 lbs alone, and when you add the accessories, propane tank and the custom wood carry box I built it's easily 200 lbs which would be on the cover. I also bring a 70 qt Yukon cold locker cooler, which when full of food/drinks/ice is probably 60-70 pounds. those two items alone would get me 2/3rds of the way to the max capacity of the SE.

3.) the weight ratings are "evenly distributed" weight. while I would try to evenly distribute the weight, I felt more comfortable with the HD that had a higher weight rating. If 2 people stand on the cover (i'm 200 lbs) you could easily exceed the 400 lbs capacity and it would not be evenly distributed...

Those were the main drivers that sold me on the HD over the SE. Will I ever put 1600 pounds on it? not even close, but knowing that I "could" if I needed to was nice piece of mind.
I have the SE and regret not getting the HD for the extra tie downs alone!

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score

Thanks! Nice explanation. Very nice. I mainly want it for the security of it. I hunt and camp out of my truck. Be nice to have that much security.

U

User_21361

This. I’m 220 and can feel my SE panel push in when I stand on it. I don’t do this often so it hasn’t been a big deal.

I love the smooth finish. Wish they had it when I ordered mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daytona440

Reaction score
Just a follow up. Spent this past week Grouse hunting in Maine’s Great North Woods. The 1500 was loaded with gear and did an amazing job on the highway and on the logging roads. 91F8C10F-2A20-429E-ACFC-9FDE9E3739D9.jpeg

Daytona440

Reaction score
One more pic. nothing moved after 40+ miles on logging roads. Tonneau also did an amazing job of keeping the dust out of the bed. IMG_4915.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread