5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Rain coming in this week so I'm going to see how well this Tec 582 ceramic spray holds up. So far still smooth as glass.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
How does beadmaker hold compared to others? I watched a video comparing a few different kinds and tec 582 held up the best. And at $40 a gallon and being able to dilute this stuff it was a no brainer to go with the tec582.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does beadmaker hold compared to others? I watched a video comparing a few different kinds and tec 582 held up the best. And at $40 a gallon and being able to dilute this stuff it was a no brainer to go with the tec582.
I still have some of the carpro reload and once I am out of that I plan to try the tec582.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Do you use a polisher or do you wax by hand? I have used Collonite marine wax for my boat several times but not the car wax.

One coat of Collinite 476S Super Double Coat Wax every six months. A coat of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax about once every three months or when I really want it to sparkle. The 476 is a thick paste wax that puts a very slick protective coating on the truck; it takes a little more time to put on and remove but it does a great job protecting the paint for long periods. The 845 is almost like a straight Carnuba Wax; it lasts a long time as well. The 845 really helps to bring out the metal flake in the paint and gives the truck a really deep shine. I used so many products over the years trying everything that reviewers said were the best. Then, after talking to some professional detailers; they recommended Collonite. Collinite is all that I will use now. The reason is quite simple; it protects. Some of the sealers, coatings and waxes look really good but wear off after a month or two. In addition, some of these products that look shiny do nothing to protect the paint. I guess I'm old school; but I still believe a thick coating of wax is best to protect the finish.
For windows: Invisible glass.
Wash Soap: Turtle Wax Ice Wash (when I can find it). Turtle Wax Zip Wax or Mequire's Gold Class Wash when I'm out of Turtle Wax Ice Wash. For the record: I have tried Griots Brilliant Finish Car Wash and it sucks; it doesn't remove dirt and grime.
Protectant : 303 Aerospace (it is amazing and worth the money).
Interior Leather: A damp cloth with warm water like MOPAR recommends.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you use a polisher or do you wax by hand? I have used Collonite marine wax for my boat several times but not the car wax.
I apply and remove the thick residue by hand; then follow-up using a polisher to "burn" it in. It takes some time to do it this way; but its worth it.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ceramic coated and I use Produxa to clean and detail if I don't need a full wash. Love this ****.

Majortom

Reaction score
While this would work, it's overkill and not necessary for stripping old wax.

Just use Dawn soap to wash and you'll be fine.
You could use 50/50 IPA solution to wipe the surface before applying new products, but this usually necessary if you have old paint and layer upon layer of waxes, sealants, etc. Don't over think it :)

After applying your favorite wax, you could use an SiO2 detail spray to maintain. For base layer Collinite is great. Another favorite of mine is Megs M21 sealant.
Using Dawn, or any dish soap, is a horrible idea for car paint. It quite literally strips the paint of oils, and the clear coat will start to look foggy after a couple years. Dish detergent, of any kind, is not formulated for painted surfaces of cars. Even the cheapest bottled car wash is better for your paint than dish soap.

Edit: Sorry, I missed your comment about stripping old wax. Yes, dish soap is excellent for stripping off wax if that is the task, particularly if you’re looking to apply new wax or a sealant afterward. After 15 years in the automotive aftermarket working for one of the largest manufacturers of car chemicals, lubricants, and detailing products, I was ‘triggered’ when I saw someone suggested using Dawn as a car wash. :eek:

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Using Dawn, or any dish soap, is a horrible idea for car paint. It quite literally strips the paint of oils, and the clear coat will start to look foggy after a couple years. Dish detergent, of any kind, is not formulated for painted surfaces of cars. Even the cheapest bottled car wash is better for your paint than dish soap.

Edit: Sorry, I missed your comment about stripping old wax. Yes, dish soap is excellent for stripping off wax if that is the task, particularly if you’re looking to apply new wax or a sealant afterward. After 15 years in the automotive aftermarket working for one of the largest manufacturers of car chemicals, lubricants, and detailing products, I was ‘triggered’ when I saw someone suggested using Dawn as a car wash. :eek:
No worries :)

Users who are viewing this thread