5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dented Rear bumper!!!!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well...got a hit and run in a parking lot. Any ideas on how to get this dent out? Not enough space to hammer it out from the inside because of the sensors and sensor connections. Any ideas are appreciated. 20200828_080118.jpg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sucks man!

You can also check with some paintless ding places, I know a few that will take dents out of chrome bumpers. They won't be perfect like painted body panel will, but it will be hard to see the fix unless up close.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove the bumper then remove the sensors. It's not terribly difficult to remove all that. Then you can bang away to your heart's desire.
I thought about that...only problem is that where the indent is on the inside there are a few plastic pieces used for connecting the sensors. Hammering it out is not an option. (really wish it was though). I might have to buy one of those dent removal kits...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You'll need to remove everything from the bumper. When I mentioned removing the sensors I was also talking about all the plastic pieces.

Those dent removal kits are for sheet metal, and even then are marginal at best. I don't think there are any that will work on the thicker metal that the bumpers are made of.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll need to remove everything from the bumper. When I mentioned removing the sensors I was also talking about all the plastic pieces.

Those dent removal kits are for sheet metal, and even then are marginal at best. I don't think there are any that will work on the thicker metal that the bumpers are made of.
Hmm that's a good point. I'll try to remove the bumper this coming weekend and see if I can get enough clearance to hammer out the dent....it's a long shot at best.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That stinks dude.

May I recommend a quality dash cam with rear camera after you fix your bumper? Doesn't always catch the right angle of the guy/gal that hits you, but there are a lot of decent ones out there for not too much cash.

nburd

Reaction score
From Car-Part they are around $300-$500 used. I have never seen success at removing a major dent in a Chrome bumper. You could repair it the best you can, hammer it, grind it, fill it as needed, use a bonding agent and paint it body color, but for the cost, I would just do a swap out with used at a later time. Paintless will scare you at the cost of a sizable dent like that. In my area they would charge $400-500 and most likely not touch it due to the metal thickness. I just bought a front and rear dash cam for my truck for this very reason for $50. I leave it recording all the time. Did the lot where it was hit have cameras, by any chance? I am so sorry this happened to you with such a new truck.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What are the aftermarket choices like for rear bumpers?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can it be " hammered out" ?...yes..will it look good when you are done? No. As a recently retired ins adjuster I can tell you that there are no shops I know of here in MA that can repair that back to pre-accident condition. I would buy new and install myself. Not worth a claim if you have a $500 deductible.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Since its plastic, Ding repair will use a heat gun.

GoMango16

Reaction score
Don't hammer it. Find someone with a press and put a straight piece of oak on the back side and press it out from the back.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guy, I appreciate all of the responses. There is a mobile auto repair guy here in town that I believe has a press...so that's actually a good idea. If he can do it for -$200 it might be worth it. No cameras that reach out to the parking lot of the business plaza I was parked at....it sucks because I was in and out of the store in 10 minutes....crappy luck there lol

Users who are viewing this thread