5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dent Repair

Midnight

Reaction score
Can this dent near rear tire be hammered out or will I need a new side panel?
451BF61D-C705-4498-858A-7850F175A004.jpeg

KCViper

Reaction score
You would be amazed with what a skilled PDR (paintless dent repair) person can do! I once had a big dent in the passenger side car door that came completely out and looked as if nothing ever happened. GL!!

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's really hard to tell. It can be reduced considerably, but the back end by the wheel well looks like the dent is sharp due to the body line. There's a chance the paint will crack at that spot. I'm assuming the white is paint transfer and not cracked paint already.

If the PDR person uses a glue puller and works it up slowly, if the paint doesn't crack, you could probably get a 95% on this one. The biggest problem here is the back side is completely open and there's no leverage points for completely finishing the dent. I would definitely look into it. If PDR can't be done, you're only option is a body shop, so try the PDR and if the paint cracks, it becomes a body shop job, if it doesn't, you make out great.

BTW, I used to do PDR work until my shoulders and elbows couldn't take the abuse any longer. I still do it for door dings and helping friends out, but I wouldn't touch this one because my skills aren't what they used to be. Be sure to look for a reputable PDR guy. His reputation depends on him doing a good job. There are company dent techs that don't worry, because if they screw up, the company is liable to pay for repairs, so get the good tech!

Midnight

Reaction score
You would be amazed with what a skilled PDR (paintless dent repair) person can do! I once had a big dent in the passenger side car door that came completely out and looked as if nothing ever happened. GL!!
Thanks! Hoping the body shop can “work” it out. Taking it next week for a quote.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can this dent near rear tire be hammered out or will I need a new side panel?
View attachment 84818
Can be easily fixed without a doubt. Not only can a great dent guy fix it, but, in the past, I have had a mobile paint guy come to my house to fix minor things and it worked out extremely well. These guys in vans are all over the place and, most, do great work.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
PDR isn't completely about size, but location. I've seen bigger made 100% better, find a good PDR person on your local Yelp with strong reviews and get a quote. I rather fix that by PDR than body/paint, if possible.

They should have a heat gun or lamp to help warm up the paint in that acute location to prevent cracking.

Midnight

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell. It can be reduced considerably, but the back end by the wheel well looks like the dent is sharp due to the body line. There's a chance the paint will crack at that spot. I'm assuming the white is paint transfer and not cracked paint already.

If the PDR person uses a glue puller and works it up slowly, if the paint doesn't crack, you could probably get a 95% on this one. The biggest problem here is the back side is completely open and there's no leverage points for completely finishing the dent. I would definitely look into it. If PDR can't be done, you're only option is a body shop, so try the PDR and if the paint cracks, it becomes a body shop job, if it doesn't, you make out great.

BTW, I used to do PDR work until my shoulders and elbows couldn't take the abuse any longer. I still do it for door dings and helping friends out, but I wouldn't touch this one because my skills aren't what they used to be. Be sure to look for a reputable PDR guy. His reputation depends on him doing a good job. There are company dent techs that don't worry, because if they screw up, the company is liable to pay for repairs, so get the good tech!
Thanks so much for the tips! Yeah, I swiped a white pole at a gas station! The paint did crack at the fold. I was able to get most off. I’m taking it to the body shop next week for a quote. I recently traded up to the 6’4” bed from the 5’7” bed, and it drives a bit different. It needs a wider birth for turning. Lesson learned. Plus I got hemmed in grrrrr!

Midnight

Reaction score
PDR isn't completely about size, but location. I've seen bigger made 100% better, find a good PDR person on your local Yelp with strong reviews and get a quote. I rather fix that by PDR than body/paint, if possible.

They should have a heat gun or lamp to help warm up the paint in that acute location to prevent cracking.
Thanks. The paint did crack at the rim. As you say maybe the heat gun will melt the paint back in place.

Midnight

Reaction score
Can be easily fixed without a doubt. Not only can a great dent guy fix it, but, in the past, I have had a mobile paint guy come to my house to fix minor things and it worked out extremely well. These guys in vans are all over the place and, most, do great work.
Wow didn’t know that. Good tips, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread