5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delayed running board retracting.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have been noticing that intermittently, my running board stays deployed when I am driving after entering and starting the vehicle.

I back out of my driveway and start driving down the street before the running board retracts.

I may drive up to 500 feet or so before the running board retracts.

Anyone else experience this? What causes it and why?

Thanks.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. I've really started paying attention to it but cannot discern any pattern yet. Random in both occurrence pattern and in time taken before retraction.

I can see someone ripping one off on a curb at some point.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Okay, so there is not something wrong with just mine. It's not isolated.

I can't figure out the random pattern either. And yes, I can see someone ripping one off on a curb!

Obviously another programming glitch.

sswails1

Reaction score
It seems to happen when starting the truck before it retracts. I notice, if I wait before starting, it retracts every time.

natehawes

Reaction score
I have it too but never noticed it before the latest OTA software update. I wonder if there’s an issue there??

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Agreed. Retracts normally if you don’t start the truck while the board is down.
Okay. I'll try starting the truck after the board retracts. Geez, what a weird programming glitch!

That's similar to the air suspension glitch where if you place the height in entry exit mode, it doesn't always raise up to normal ride height by itself. Or something like that... I always raise mine back up manually now so I forgot what the exact glitch was. I think it wouldn't lower to aero mode on the highway.

Hopefully they'll update all these glitches soon.

gybob

Reaction score
A couple of times, mine has done this. This is what I think happens. When I get in the truck, I push the start button at the exact moment the BCM wants to retract the running boards. Since pushing the start button momentarily kills (or disrupts) non essential CAN bus and LIN bus communications, the BCM's request to retract the boards gets lost in the shuffle. I've confirmed the timing, the rest is theory. Usually placing the transmission in F or R with the boards deployed causes them to immediately retract. Not so in the above scenario. Hopefully a software update to address this issue is forthcoming.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple of times, mine has done this. This is what I think happens. When I get in the truck, I push the start button at the exact moment the BCM wants to retract the running boards. Since pushing the start button momentarily kills (or disrupts) non essential CAN bus and LIN bus communications, the BCM's request to retract the boards gets lost in the shuffle. I've confirmed the timing, the rest is theory. Usually placing the transmission in F or R with the boards deployed causes them to immediately retract. Not so in the above scenario. Hopefully a software update to address this issue is forthcoming.
There is another thread where I proposed the same theory. It's as if the step's delay timer in the BCM gets interrupted by the disconnect during starter engagement. This interruption leaves the BCM's power step (flawed) logic in an unknown state. Other events (like a max speed) trigger a retract. Mine will retract while driving away.

Flot

Reaction score
Same situation here, but I have only noticed it happening in the last few weeks. I don't know that I've ever made it more than 200 feet or so but have definitely heard the floorboard retract when I'm well out of my driveway.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive had the delay also. I have kids so it seems to happen when they get in just as the board is retracting and then they open the door it gets caught in the middle and goes back to deployed. Then it seems to stay deployed until I star driving for a bit.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Somebody at FCA had to of experienced these scenarios during testing phases.

How did they release a vehicle with so many bugs in the software? Would it have delayed release to correct the code and make for happy customers?

I don't even want to get started speaking about the abysmal assembly quality! FCA has a superior world class design - and to let assembly line workers who don't care drag them down...

Sorry for the rant. I just found my sunroof drains hanging outside the cab last night. My truck was a September built vehicle after they knew about that assembly problem...

2019 Ram Customer

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited, purchased in September 2018, which has the same problem. The problem has been intermittent but occurs at least once every few days of driving. I haven't tried to check yet to see whether this only occurs when the truck is started before retraction has occurs.
I have the truck into the dealer today for this and a few other problems. Will be a day or two before I hear from them but will post to let you know what they say.
I have also posted in a related thread about another related problem that occurs. That is after getting in and starting down the road (moving with doors shut), the running board will deploy out, and then back in, by itself. Dealer has been made aware of this also.

19longthorn

Reaction score
Well, I didnt think it was harmful having the issues of steps not retracting until being out of parking lots and also seems that they sometimes wont deploy if i start the truck while someone opens for instance the passenger side. I figured I'll just pay attention to the motor noise. Well, I was in a hurry the other day and ran over my window well backing out of my driveway! Dealership shrugged their shoulders when i asked and said they've never had any complaints (seems to be the go to line around here) I guess I'll have to just try the wait to start until after steps retract method.

Attachments

• 20190614_181945.jpg
    20190614_181945.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190614_182108.jpg
    20190614_182108.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190614_182112.jpg
    20190614_182112.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190614_182118.jpg
    20190614_182118.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 151

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I didnt think it was harmful having the issues of steps not retracting until being out of parking lots and also seems that they sometimes wont deploy if i start the truck while someone opens for instance the passenger side. I figured I'll just pay attention to the motor noise. Well, I was in a hurry the other day and ran over my window well backing out of my driveway! Dealership shrugged their shoulders when i asked and said they've never had any complaints (seems to be the go to line around here) I guess I'll have to just try the wait to start until after steps retract method.

I wish RAM would fix this already. Sometimes I hear them randomly cycle when taking off.

Guzzibob

Reaction score
Looks like I should have started on this thread. ( New member) I am having the same step issues with my new 2020 limited so FCA has not fixed the software yet. My dealer said they never heard of this problem. ( TYPICAL dealer responce) so until they upgrade the software I will wait until the steps are up before starting.

JAram20

Reaction score
I agree this is a problem......not programmed properly. I had an F150 Platinum with the same style steps and as soon as door was closed the steps would begin to retract. Also, I was able to program the steps to remain extended (temporarily) for washing or whatever reason, and as soon as ignition was hit the steps would close to default position.

Users who are viewing this thread