5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF

Waynebudke

Reaction score
Has anyone in here done a DEF delete on the 3.0 eco-diesel. Just curious if so, and what was the outcome.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Not trying to preach, but if this truck is under warranty I wouldn't even remotely consider it. My previous three EcoDiesels have been very reliable and DEF consumption around a 1.5 gallons/1000 miles. I don't consider that to be bad. I know with a delete/tune the truck is capable of higher mileage but the headaches of not having warranty coverage vs. the few extra MPG overall I don't think is worth it. My 2020 I just traded in was consistently getting 27+ average. Not shabby for a 4x4 heavy truck loaded down with bells/whistles IMHO.

Waynebudke

Reaction score
Please preach on. I was just wondering if anyone had done. I didn't do it to my superduty until right at 100K miles and was very pleased with the results. I wouldn't do it until the warranty runs out. Just was wondering what kind of results anyone has had is it has been done. Cost to get it done and so forth. Are you sure you are correct on your DEF usage. 1.5 gak / 1000 miles seems like an awful lot. My superduty Diesel didn't use that much pulling a 18K pound 5th wheel trailer. Just curious. Never had an ECO diesel so trying to learn about the dainty diesel. So far love the mileage though.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not tracking mine closely but I'm also at about 1000 miles per gallon. I think I've put 7-8 gallons in my tank and I'm at 7500 miles. 2000 of that was at full payload.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Please preach on. I was just wondering if anyone had done. I didn't do it to my superduty until right at 100K miles and was very pleased with the results. I wouldn't do it until the warranty runs out. Just was wondering what kind of results anyone has had is it has been done. Cost to get it done and so forth. Are you sure you are correct on your DEF usage. 1.5 gak / 1000 miles seems like an awful lot. My superduty Diesel didn't use that much pulling a 18K pound 5th wheel trailer. Just curious. Never had an ECO diesel so trying to learn about the dainty diesel. So far love the mileage though.
I wasn't record keeping as close as I should have-it was between a gallon to 1.5/1000. Probably closer to a gallon. It definitely used a little more than my 2017 and 2018 with the Gen2 EcoDiesel used but the overall average fuel economy went UP and I had more power. It was also quieter, smoother, etc. I'm a HUGE advocate of the EcoDiesel. Believe it or not I've never driven the Hemi (not even on a test drive) and don't care to. As a farmboy I grew up with diesels and love them. I was very slightly considering the new F150 PowerStroke but that's been discontinued already so that made for a very easy decision there. I've driven the DuraMini and it's a nice engine also but the truck around it just isn't on par-especially the quality or lack thereof in the seats. I know the new 2022/23 interior will be much nicer but RAM has done me well and now my wife is strongly considering the new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe for herself. Stellantis for this household!

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score

Dainty diesel, that’s a good one considering this ED has more HP and torque than the legendary 2nd gen 12 valve Cummins. Add in more gears in the tansMission and this thing pulls harder than the old 2500 and 3500, and has about the same payload and GCWR as the 2500 that had the legendary diesel.

Waynebudke

Reaction score
However, I wasn't scared to put a tuner on, open up the injector ports and wind up the pressure on an old 12 valve cummins to make it pull like a 480 CAT on steroids either. Because it would take it and keep on going, rolling coal.

Users who are viewing this thread