5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF fill at the pump?

tom318

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used the DEF at the fuel pump? I have a TA station relatively close but haven't made it out there to see if the DEF nozzle would even fit. Its also $2.90 a gallon which is nice. Also not sure if the DEF meets the ecodiesel requirements.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DEF is DEF, meets the ISO requirements.

I intend to fill my '20 with the new Peak Platnium which claims to reduce buildup in the SCR.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DEF is DEF. Platinum is a ripoff. Buy walmart DEF with store pickup if you want to be cheap.

The pumps are good because it is ALWAYS fresh with the volume of truckers and no chance to spill any of it like with the flimsy nozzles on the jugs, and no waste.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DEF is DEF. Platinum is a ripoff. Buy walmart DEF with store pickup if you want to be cheap.

The pumps are good because it is ALWAYS fresh with the volume of truckers and no chance to spill any of it like with the flimsy nozzles on the jugs, and no waste.
Platinum is a ripoff because you're analyzed the ingredients and the chemical reactions and have come to that conclusion?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is the exact same stuff. If they want to claim it will not hurt the SCR as much as other def you could sue them and use their own marketing against them since bluedef has been out for a decade prior and cause such "damage"

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They had to get changes made to the ISO so that they could market it as compliant so it's not the exact same stuff. There have been documented cases even with our low mileage EcoD's where the buildup has cause failures so can you imagine what has been happening to large, high mileage fleets as far as maintenance costs.

From my perspective for the extra 10 or 20 bucks a year if it only keeps my DEF injector clean it will be worth it.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They switched to DI water. that's it AND its been done in all def now.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Aseras, not trying to argue with you but how do you know all that they've changed? Again, people can use what they want I just stated that for the extra few bucks a year if I never have to clean or replace my DEF injector it's worth it. And if it is a total ripoff then I would assume the fleet users, who I believe is the real intended market, will expose that.​

gorilla57

Reaction score
I have NEVER heard of an SCR filter failure/buildup issue. So Platinum is a great marketing idea, but not sure why it is "needed". DPF on the other hand.....yeah, those can have issues.

To the OP, some of those big rig DEF pumps used to require a special magnet on the DEF nozzle in order to work. Not sure they still do, but that caused a bunch of frustration to us "lay" people trying to use those pumps. If the station close to you doesn't, I'd say go ahead and use it. The DEF use rate at a truck stop is high and you'll get fresh DEF at a damn nice price.

tom318

Reaction score
I’ve always used the standard Peak DEF 2.5gallon packs but every single time I fill any car I always have some ridiculous issue. I spill all over, box Breaks, nozzle gets stuck or flings out, kids hit me in the nuts to get my attention at the exact wrong moment...Granted it’s my error most of the time but I’d love to just top the DEF tank at a pump like I do with the fuel. I just filled mine so the next time I’ll give the station a try.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Aseras, not trying to argue with you but how do you know all that they've changed? Again, people can use what they want I just stated that for the extra few bucks a year if I never have to clean or replace my DEF injector it's worth it. And if it is a total ripoff then I would assume the fleet users, who I believe is the real intended market, will expose that.​

iso 22241

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues with filling DEF at the pumps. It's half the cost. The nozzle fits, it's very long and narrow.
Plus pulling up with the big rigs is awesome

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve used the DEF pump twice so far for the only two times I’ve had to fill. One at a big Holiday truck stop and one at a big Kwik trip truck stop. No issues so far and it is a much better price

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a local cardlock station and I fill with the pump DEF and diesel....DEF is much cheaper and the diesel is about 60-80 (15-20 cents/litre) cents a gallon cheaper than regular stations. Best of all it was free to get a card.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I needed to fill my DEF tank. I was down to 45 miles. Drove to the closest
Truck Stop that has it at the pump. Pump was out of order, but they pointed
me to the one gallon and 2.5 gallon jugs.

One Gallon $9.95, 2.5 Gallon $21.00

I went to the closest Home Depot, Blue DEF Boxes, $25 for two. Which
is what I purchased.

Coming back home I noticed a Sunoco Station with a sign for
DEF at the Pump (S. Willow st, Manchester, NH). Pulled in to check
it out. $2.29/Gal. This station is not even half way to the Truck Stop.
Unless I can find a pump in my town, This where I will be going next time.

Malodave

phisch

Reaction score
First DEF fill up, just dipped below 1/4 tank at 4900 miles. The nozzle is snug but fits perfectly and shuts off when full. Only had to drive about 10 miles from home to the truck stop station.

The diesel here was $0.24 more expensive than my normal stop, so I passed on that though 😂

Attachments

• 8EFD4232-BC56-4434-8360-1B6CB811A464.jpeg
    8EFD4232-BC56-4434-8360-1B6CB811A464.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 33

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The boxes on the shelf tell you exactly what you're getting, where it came from, whether it meets spec or not, and it's date stamped.

The DEF at the pump tells you NONE of that, nor does it tell you if it's filtered properly since it's sitting outside in the weather.

Seeing as how DEF injection systems are super expensive to repair I choose to buy it off the shelf. It's a once per six month trip to the store. I can afford two boxes at $15 total and feel good knowing what I'm putting in my truck.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem with store bought def is it could be old, or could have been in an old stock room that is hot. DEF shelf life degrades quickly with heat.

All DEF is the same, 32.5% urea, 67.5% water.

I'd rather get it from a truck stop where it is constantly turned over and always fresh. Big rigs use 20+ gallons per fill so they consume a lot. From my research I haven't found anyone that has had any issues ever filling with truck stop DEF.

phisch

Reaction score
The giant sign on the side of the pump house said BlueDEF. Looked exactly like the logo on the Peak website https://www.peakhd.com/product/bluedef/diesel-exhaust-fluid/ "Get guaranteed purity from America’s #1 DEF brand."
Yeah I'd rather go for the fresh stuff instead of the jugs sitting in the Meijer superstore. Guess we'll find out if the experiment works.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The giant sign on the side of the pump house said BlueDEF. Looked exactly like the logo on the Peak website https://www.peakhd.com/product/bluedef/diesel-exhaust-fluid/ "Get guaranteed purity from America’s #1 DEF brand."
Yeah I'd rather go for the fresh stuff instead of the jugs sitting in the Meijer superstore. Guess we'll find out if the experiment works.
I've filled up twice from DEF pumps with zero issues. As long as it meets the requirement as all def does, there's nothing FCA could do to void your warranty.

Plus, pulling up next to the big rigs is cool. You definitely get some weird looks.

Users who are viewing this thread