5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF consumption, normal?

tom318

Reaction score
I just filled mine now and it was $99....(3.49) right at the WI/IL border. If you drive or tow a lot and don’t mind doing your own maintenance then the Ecodiesel is awesome. I love mine but refuse to take it to the dealer for any kind of service because they are simply ridiculous on the price. Im hoping to post my 1yr review on the forum soon but Havent had time. I’ve done 33k miles in 1yr, under $900 in maintenance (including DEF) and saw some awesome fuel economy and range. All in a smooth and very comfortable vehicle. 800+mile range and unloaded I average 26-28mpg. Though once out of warranty I don’t really have a plan for any major issues....I’ll need to find a trusty mechanic at a reasonable price if it’s something I can’t do on my own.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are doing, I've only put 4? jugs into my truck in almost 2 years now and 24,000 miles. 2.5 gallon jug runs $8.
2.5 gallons = 10 quarts. $8 divided by 10 quarts is 80 cents a quart. Alright, I’ll call Bravo Sierra is no one else wants to do it. There is no oil which meets the Ram spec (MS-12291) for our trucks that is 80 cents a quart. Perhaps you slipped a digit?

tom318

Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are doing, I've only put 4? jugs into my truck in almost 2 years now and 24,000 miles. 2.5 gallon jug runs $8.
I don’t tow much but I’d say mine consumes basically double that. Mine is about 1gal of DEF for 1k miles.
2.5 gallons = 10 quarts. $8 divided by 10 quarts is 80 cents a quart. Alright, I’ll call Bravo Sierra is no one else wants to do it. There is no oil which meets the Ram spec (MS-12291) for our trucks that is 80 cents a quart. Perhaps you slipped a digit?
I think he is talking DEF fluid. In which case my truck seems to consume almost double that.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t tow much but I’d say mine consumes basically double that. Mine is about 1gal of DEF for 1k miles.

I think he is talking DEF fluid. In which case my truck seems to consume almost double that.
Thanks for clarifying although I’m disappointed. Was hoping Aseras had a source for extremely inexpensive FCA approved oil for our Ecodiesels! 😉

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you think oil? Its a DEF thread?

There is cheap oil. just got to camp sales. Quaker state goes on sale cheap. Others too. Just depends on if you can find it when it does.

Grader160m

Reaction score
Def usage is based off NOX sensors. If you’re using a premium diesel not a bargain priced diesel I have found def consumption is lower as well at lower outside temps also reduce def consumption. I have a Banks Derringer and iGauge and it displays def consumption and def level.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread